Author Topic: How to make your Mosin Nagant sexy!  (Read 8769 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: How to make your Mosin Nagant sexy!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
Wanna sell me the corroded one ?
I might...or... yes I think I would.  I can't think of what the hell else to do with it

Have you ever seen anyone try to convert one to a free float barrel? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
My 1939 Izhevsk 91/30 has a pitted bore (was filled with Soviet cosmoline), force-matched serial numbers, and was rebuilt at least once at a Soviet facility in the Ukraine. Despite the condition, with its accessories it's a piece of history for my WWII collection, since it was almost certainly used against the Nazis - and maybe elsewhere. It's a good example of Russian design philosophy & engineering, too . . . and cheap fun to shoot with the milsurp Soviet ammo that's still around. Makes for an interesting contrast with other WWII vintage arms in my small collection.

It's worth the $99 I paid for it at Cabela's . . . but it's not worth spending hundreds more on to make it more "tacticool" . . . there are better platforms to use as starting points, and putting all sorts of geegaws on it reminds me of the old saying about putting lipstick on a pig . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
If they were for a rare rifle, I don't know if I could get behind it - but as is? I actually really like those stocks.

Although, spending that much money on a Mosin Nagant... kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  =D

LOL,  it would be worth it if they included a star wars costume with each one.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
I might...or... yes I think I would.  I can't think of what the hell else to do with it

Have you ever seen anyone try to convert one to a free float barrel?

Never seen it. Lemme do some googling

Ill pm you
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
Never seen it. Lemme do some googling

Ill pm you

The Finns 'accurized' theirs by shimming the front of the barrel channel to put upward pressure on the barrel and also shimmed in front of the recoil lug.

Shimming barrels was a common practice for accurizing before glass/pillar bedding actions came into common use.
I don't think free floating a Mosin will do much good unless the stock is shortened and/or stiffened and the action is held firmly in place with glass bedding.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
Yeah, it may not be worth it.  Might be simpler just to sell it and find a handy .308 woods gun.  I would consider that Ruger rifle, but it is way too expensive.  Might as well build a 308 AR.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »

HOLY *expletive deleted*ing HELL.

DO. WANT.

I may try the archangel setup, if only to use the magazines. Mausers are my favorite 'surp, because reloads are stupid quick. Mosins, not so much.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
I may try the archangel setup, if only to use the magazines. Mausers are my favorite 'surp, because reloads are stupid quick. Mosins, not so much.

K-31s do it all- fast reloads, detachable magazine, very accurate, and they are very easy to mount a scope to. :cool:

Barack Obama

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »
K-31s do it all- fast reloads, detachable magazine, very accurate, and they are very easy to mount a scope to. :cool:
They also have ammo supply that is drying up and magazines that are pretty hard to find.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
HOLY *expletive deleted* HELL.

DO. WANT.

What can I say? The Finns loved me. So, to show my appreciation, I shot their weapons, drank their booze and hell, I'm wearing one of those jackets at the moment. They also gave me patches, knives, etc. They could not, repeat COULD NOT, get me one of their Rk-95 rifles. Which is THE BEST assault rifle on the planet, this I swear by the Nine Planets of Yggdrasil.

Aside from carrying Glocks (which warrants a WTF, but fine), they prefer sticking with Russian pattern small arms. The Sako TRG is supposed to take over, but at the time and even now, only really high speed units get them. A lot of folks want the TRG for tacticool points, but admit, they'd want the Mosin Nagant if the Russians invaded again. 

If nothing else, the Mosin Nagant is a rugged and reliable weapon.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
I just lean mine against my Ural Gear Up motorcycle and sidecar while I sit in the sidecar sipping on a bottle of Russian vodka.   It is the same bike the Russian army uses.......chris3

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
If the Vepr's could be had with anything but a 5 round mag, I would be more interested in those.  The newer sporterized rifles look like nice shooters, but I heard they only do 5 round mags in 308 and 54R. 

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Welp. I'm getting my C&R again.

FML
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 04:55:10 AM »
They also have ammo supply that is drying up and magazines that are pretty hard to find.

Commercial ammo was non-existent when I started buying them. Now, lots of commercial. GP-11 still there, have 2400+ but I'm trying to get more, as well as jump on the next berdan primers I see. Places like Graf's make runs of brass, I bought a bunch. .308 bullets to reload. In fact, now that component and 7.62x51 prices stuck on stupid I'm trying to get enough GP-11 to justify chambering a Savage 110 to 7.5swiss.

Mags no real issue, buy some chargers. Typically if I take a K-31 for a walk I confiscate all the mags from my spare rifles.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 08:12:14 AM »
Commercial ammo was non-existent when I started buying them. Now, lots of commercial. GP-11 still there, have 2400+ but I'm trying to get more, as well as jump on the next berdan primers I see. Places like Graf's make runs of brass, I bought a bunch

I started with necking up .284 winchester brass, and have enough to last several lifetimes now.

In fact, now that component and 7.62x51 prices stuck on stupid I'm trying to get enough GP-11 to justify chambering a Savage 110 to 7.5swiss.
That would be a cool project.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
Places like Graf's make runs of brass, I bought a bunch.

That's what I did back when I got mine. As I recall, cheap 7.5 was hard to find even when the rifles were very available. I still have a few 20ct boxes I bought from either Midway or Grafs, and I remember them costing more than factory .308s.

I have a good amount of brass though, and can feed them for a good long time. I should make a note to buy a little more the next time I see a batch for sale.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
That's what I did back when I got mine. As I recall, cheap 7.5 was hard to find even when the rifles were very available. I still have a few 20ct boxes I bought from either Midway or Grafs, and I remember them costing more than factory .308s.

I remember GP-11 being around $22/60.
Expensive for surplus, super cheap when you consider its match grade ammo.

Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
Rifle and a 60rd block of ammo for $129.  :'(
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »
I remember GP-11 being around $22/60.
Expensive for surplus, super cheap when you consider its match grade ammo.

Wait, did that come in a plain brown cardboard box? Then I may have some of that stored somewhere too. The stuff I got from Grafs or Midway or whatever was production ammo in 20 round boxes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
I think they were white boxes or maybe bown boxes with white boxes inside. I ordered a bunch from AIM, but shot it all up a long time ago. Prvi Partisan and maybe Wolf still make factory loads. Ive only shot gp-11 or handloads through my rifles.

Barack Obama