Author Topic: That'll buff right out.  (Read 7273 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
That'll buff right out.
« on: September 25, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
Found this on a photography forum I visit.

Link is plenty safe for work or whatever.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/?p=21971#more-21971
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: That'll buff right out.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 08:41:06 AM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
Looked like the nose just folded up about 2/3s of the way back...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
Thankfully the fuel did not light off.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
A coworker, whose dad is into drag racing (as in has his own car and races) was at that race and witnessed the crash firsthand.  Driver walked away from it.

He says, "Yep, we are probably somewhere in the photo below the caption of shower of sparks in the sky".

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Thankfully the fuel did not light off.

How hard is nitro methane to light?  Is it easy like gas?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »
While the crash was pretty spectacular, his opponent was pretty quick to realize everything was going sideways (literally) and popped his chute very quickly.

bob

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »

Nitromethane is used by hobbyists as a fuel in motor racing, particularly drag racing, as well as for rockets and radio-controlled models (such as cars, planes and helicopters) and is commonly referred to in this context as "nitro". The oxygen content of nitromethane enables it to burn with much less atmospheric oxygen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
It is mostly an oxidizer. It is mixed with a LITTLE alcohol to run in those engines. To crank the engines, they squirt gasoline in the blower to get it kicked off. The higher the octane rating, the more RESISTANT the liquid id to ignition/detonation. Alcohol and Nitromethane have high octane ratings and are harder to ignite than gasoline.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »
Anyone else pick up on the butterflies being wide open during all that? Think he had both feet planted and was pushing them with all his might while clenched and screaming "$%IT! $%IT! $%IT! $%IT!"?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
Anyone else remember when Don Garlits lost half his right foot in this one? A clutch explosion caused it.

After this incident he made the 1st successful rear engined rail-job and set the pattern for all future rail type dragsters to come.

Nice guy BTW. Met him a few times back when my dad worked for Wynns, Don's sponsor.
MOLON LABE!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »
Couple of bungee cords, some Gorilla Tape, and he'll be ready for the next run.  Although his nomex suit may not be back from the cleaners yet.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »
Saaaaa-cré merde!

He wasn't good enough for heaven or bad enough for hell just yet.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »
If you watch those rail-jobs from the side, there is a LOT of flexing in those chromemoly chassis. That IS the front suspension as the front axle's are normally solidly mounted. That flex causes stress fractures over time and if the welds are not properly heat-treated/tempered, it can cause stress points.
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane

From that article:

Nitromethane, however, has a lower specific energy: gasoline provides about 42–44 MJ/kg, whereas nitromethane provides only 11.3 MJ/kg. This analysis indicates that nitromethane generates about 2.3 times the power of gasoline when combined with a given amount of oxygen.

Doesn't seem to make sense to this bear of very little brain.

I note that it has some of its own oxygen.

I note the weights in kg.  How does that work out in terms of volumetric comparisons?  

I also note the term "when combined with a given amount of oxygen."

I also note the phrase "2.3 times the power."

Should Wiki have explained that better, or do I need more coffee?

Me brainblocked?  It's happened before to I.

Halp?  

"I am a bear of very little brain, and long words bother me."  --Winnie the Pooh.

Terry

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 02:11:16 AM »
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1304-what-is-nitromethane-anyway/

Nitromethane-or CH3NO2-is one member of a family of explosive compounds that contain nitrogen and oxygen.

What makes them (nitroglycerin, TNT & gunpowder) so bad is the oxygen in the nitro group, which breaks down into gaseous combustion products that create large amounts of heat and pressure without the need for further oxygen. Nitromethane and its relatives have the potential to be monopropellants; they can combust without any air at all. That's why nitromethane was once used as a rocket fuel.

Nitromethane carries its own oxygen, so it needs much less atmospheric oxygen to burn.
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
MOLON LABE!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 03:24:56 AM »
From that article:

Doesn't seem to make sense to this bear of very little brain.

I note that it has some of its own oxygen.

I note the weights in kg.  How does that work out in terms of volumetric comparisons?  

I also note the term "when combined with a given amount of oxygen."

I also note the phrase "2.3 times the power."

Should Wiki have explained that better, or do I need more coffee?

Me brainblocked?  It's happened before to I.

Halp?  

"I am a bear of very little brain, and long words bother me."  --Winnie the Pooh.

Terry

Gasoline mixes with air in a roughly 1:14 ratio to burn properly, iirc, nitromethane mixes close to 1:1 with air. Nitromethane is less energy dense than gasoline but you are also burning A LOT more of it at a time.

Fun facts:  http://www.sccoia.org/articles/top-fuel-dragster-fast-facts/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »
I am searching for and can't find this great demo video of a top fuel blower and injector setup that shows you just how much fuel is being dumped into a top fuel car. AMAZING volume!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
Gasoline mixes with air in a roughly 1:14 ratio to burn properly, iirc, nitromethane mixes close to 1:1 with air. Nitromethane is less energy dense than gasoline but you are also burning A LOT more of it at a time.

Fun facts:  http://www.sccoia.org/articles/top-fuel-dragster-fast-facts/

...stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane...
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »
http://cloud-computing.tmcnet.com/news/2014/08/02/7952726.htm

A great read showing how today's top fuel cars are making OVER 10,000 HP! Lots of really great data and insight to the forces generated and power requirements just to operate the various systems.
MOLON LABE!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »

A great read showing how today's top fuel cars are making OVER 10,000 HP! Lots of really great data and insight to the forces generated and power requirements just to operate the various systems.

I was talking to my 12 yo son aboutall of this this mornng. .. only a man would think to compress rocket fuel into an engine to see how fast one can traversea1/4 mile. Further, only a man would set up a chemical plant to produce nitromethane just to feed these machines. Only a man would dream big enough to put a man on the moon or even Mars. I finished by telling him its awesome to be a man and to simply mock those that tell him different.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »

I think I really need one of those engines for my Jeep Cherokee that I drive to work every day. Maybe I'd get to work on time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
I think I really need one of those engines for my Jeep Cherokee that I drive to work every day. Maybe I'd get to work on time.

Only if your commute could be cut down to about 5 seconds.  Or if you could coast the rest of the way after that 5 seconds.  The life span of those engines at full throttle is only just a bit more than their 1/4mile time.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »

Fun facts:  http://www.sccoia.org/articles/top-fuel-dragster-fast-facts/

Aha!  Suddenly it all fits together, and thank you!  Wiki should have said it like that.  Maybe somebody ought to edit that passage I quoted.

Bear of very little brain happy now, Christopher Robin!

Sometimes bear of very little brain has trouble handling four variables at once.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:03:41 PM by 230RN »