Author Topic: For Sneaky Beer Drinkers  (Read 5230 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: For Sneaky Beer Drinkers
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
Will be a repeated blind taste test, remember it will be served in glasses.

First, I take all your booze, then I get you to kiss my ass at high noon and videotape it.  This is the best day evar !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »
First, I take all your booze, then I get you to kiss my ass at high noon and videotape it.  This is the best day evar !!!!

I haven't come up with what you are going to do when you loose.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »

After drinking the beer, he may be very loose, indeed...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »

Nothing.  The challenge is for me to tell the difference, should I not be able to (doubtful), there is no downside for me.  :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
Nothing.  The challenge is for me to tell the difference, should I not be able to (doubtful), there is no downside for me.  :P :P

Bottoms up!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »
After drinking the beer, he may be very loose, indeed...

Maybe I'll have adulterate the beer a bit. Chocolate Belgium style beer?? Anyone?

Uranus is a gas giant.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »
Cans are better for beer transportation and storage than bottles, easily. Less breakable, lighter, keeps the beer in the dark, requires no opener. Neither container is particularly suitable for beer drinking. You should be drinking from the proper beer glass. Claiming that bottles are better for drinking from=snobbery fail.

My problem with cans is that ignorant packagers, retail workers, and consumers don't understand that you need to store most styles of unfiltered beer vertically. People intuitively keep bottles right side up for some reason, even though they don't leak if you put them horizontal. This does not apply to cans. People seem to think that if it comes in a can you just treat it like pop.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
Double
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »
How dare Herohog steal my thunder on the Koozie, so I'm posting pics anyway (and yes I'm including product placement to brag about my new shop vac)!  :laugh:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
On the cans, I'm seeing quite a bit of higher end stuff coming in cans. Of those I've tried, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a can and a bottle. Honestly, I'd probably have an easier time telling the difference between Bud in a bottle or can versus a microbrew, and it could be, as noted, due to the type of cans used.

My preference is beer in bottles, but the Mr Beer brews I've been making have been going in the plastic bottles, and they've been coming out quite good.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Honestly, I'd probably have an easier time telling the difference between Bud in a bottle or can versus a microbrew, and it could be, as noted, due to the type of cans used.

Maybe 30 years ago or longer, but I bet you can't tell the difference between bud from a bottle or can if it was handed to you in a glass now.

My social beer is Miller Lite from a can*, but I keep a few bottles around for those folks who say can tell the difference between canned and bottle beer. So far no one has been able to tell the difference when I give to them blind in glasses. Usually do multiple trials: sometimes I put canned beer in both glasses, sometimes both are bottles, sometimes I do one of each. What is funny is someone will say that with two clean glasses from the same bottle taste different. Most people change their mind about their "skills" after the test.

I do know some people prefer to drink beer from a bottle or can because of the vessel delivery or mouth feel.

*cans because bottles tend to get broken in the garage bar.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 06:24:55 PM »
How dare Herohog steal my thunder on the Koozie, so I'm posting pics anyway (and yes I'm including product placement to brag about my new shop vac)!  :laugh:

That, uh, looks pretty Rigid there, Ben!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
If you can taste the difference in a blind taste test from drinking glassed between canned or bottles Fat Tire, I'll kiss your ass.

That's only because Fat Tire tastes like horse whiz no matter what it comes in.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »
The ass kissing will be videotaped an posted on youtube.   (remind me not to wipe that day.... [barf] [barf] [barf])

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm not sure what's worse.  Vikings 4chan-style images or THAT image....  [barf]
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2015, 11:21:22 PM »

Think you could tell the difference between canned or bottled "Not Your Father's Rootbear" served blindly in a glass?

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
Part of the problem with beer in cans is the taste of the aluminum where you interface with the can.  You have to actually pour the beer into a glass to get around that, like they do with draft beers.

This is an interesting observation.  Over the years I've grown to prefer drinking beer from bottles or a glass as I can definitely taste a difference when drinking it from a can.  Even beer in lined cans seems to taste somewhat metallic.
I've never done a blind taste test of the same beer from a bottle and a can poured in glasses.  It would be fun to try.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »
My dad won many a bar bet by betting someone couldn't tell their favorite beer from one they supposedly despised after they had had a few of their beers first.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »
My dad won many a bar bet by betting someone couldn't tell their favorite beer from one they supposedly despised after they had had a few of their beers first.

I've seen it done with bourbon, one guy would only drink Jim Beam and they said they can taste the difference between the bourbons. They all took turns at who's house was cocktail night. Well one of his drinking buddies filled a Jim Beam bottle with High Ten, served it to him on cocktail night and the guy thought he was drinking Jim Beam. This went on for years before they told him.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:53:12 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
A lot of taste is mental, IMO.  There might be some people somewhere who have delicate taste senses enough to tell the difference, but most don't. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
Cans have their place, like at pools or parks where they don't want glass containers.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!