Author Topic: $DEITY bless Texas  (Read 6289 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
$DEITY bless Texas
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
URL is self-explanatory:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Senate-Passes-Sales-Tax-Free-Weekend-for-Gun-Purchases-302015101.html

If you listen carefully, you can hear left-wing heads exploding (more guns and no tax: two things they hate).
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

jim in anchorage

Re: $DEITY bless Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »
Every day is a sales tax free day in Anchorage. And I can buy guns at the grocery store. And open carry and CC with out permit. But Texans think they are the best :facepalm:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »
Every day is a sales tax free day in Anchorage. And I can buy guns at the grocery store. And open carry and CC with out permit. But Texans think they are the best :facepalm:

Stranger, 'round these parts we celebrate victories with a toast, a cheer, and maybe some good-natured snark. If you're gonna try and turn this into a pissing contest after a whopping six posts to the forum then you might want to shop elsewhere.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jim in anchorage

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
Stranger, 'round these parts we celebrate victories with a toast, a cheer, and maybe some good-natured snark. If you're gonna try and turn this into a pissing contest after a whopping six posts to the forum then you might want to shop elsewhere.

Brad
And you determined what I posted was not good natured snark? Yes your honor.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

Brad

What victory?  This may be taking "incremental victories" to a new level.

The senate passed a bill.  The house still needs to vote on it.

And how is it that Texas does not require that fiscal bills originate in the house?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
You'd prefer no one ever did anything? Positive moves deserve positive reinforcement. Otherwise there's no incentive for improvement.

Someone in a political position introduced a pro-firearms bill. The senate passed it. That, in itself, is a victory. And, yes, incremental is just fine with me. A step forward is a step forward no matter how minor. Marginalizing a small step because it's "not everything we want" is one of the reasons why firearms and firearms owners have made so few advances vs where we should be.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
Hey, Brad, I'm just glad you're not posting about your local lacrosse team again.  :P

But like Brad said, every little bit helps. Good for Texas. =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »

Even if you intended it as good-natured snark it still comes across as embittered, confrontational one-upsmanship.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Hey, Brad, I'm just glad you're not posting about your local lacrosse team again.  :P

*harumph* It's not lacrosse.  :mad:

...It's synchronized underwater basket painting.  =D

Brad

p.s. Interesting that should come up. Visiting the fam for an annual community celebration weekend. The coaching staff was in the football fieldhouse. Hadn't set so much as a toe in the place since November of 1985. It hasn't changed much.
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
It's nice someoine introduced a pro-gun bill and sheparded it through the senate.  Where I come from bills dealing with budget/tax need to originate in the house - there can be a companion bill (exact same language as the house bill) introduced in the senate at the same time or later than the house bill.  Anything otherwise is a grandstanding gesture with no chance of success (constitutional challenge) and a high probability of pissing off the house leadership to the point of not considering moving a bill on the subject forward in that session.

Le beau geste can sometimes be the guarantee of failure.

Which was why the query about fiscal bills originating in the senate.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »

I don't think Angel Eyes' post was superior or condescending in any way, but your tone and the facepalm were, implying that Texans are fatuous retards. Some of us surely are, but I also read your post as hostile rather than snarky.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Anytime someone posts something good about Texas and guns, one or a few people come out of the woodwork to complain that their state is better on guns.  I think some people not from Texas have inferiority complexes.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
:lol:

I think he's gonna do just fine 'round here.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »
While I will concede the lack of freedom in the "free" state of Texas' gun laws....
Alaska just gets it's revenue stream from the federal government taxation of the oil industries.  Any time you don't pay a tax, it's taken elsewhere.  It's just a shell game.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 12:14:58 AM »

Then $DEITY bless Alaska too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 12:53:09 AM »
While I will concede the lack of freedom in the "free" state of Texas' gun laws....
Alaska just gets it's revenue stream from the federal government taxation of the oil industries.  Any time you don't pay a tax, it's taken elsewhere.  It's just a shell game.

You must be from Texas to get it so wrong. There is no FEDERAL tax on Alaska oil that Alaska is receiving. The State collects ROYALTIES from oil extracted from it's OWN LAND. See the difference? If you had a gold mine in your yard, would you just give it away?

jim in anchorage

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:04 AM »
Then $DEITY bless Alaska too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks. Sure didn't take me long to get on the wrong side of the Texas supporters. :lol:

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »
Thanks. Sure didn't take me long to get on the wrong side of the Texas supporters. :lol:

1) We like it here.

2) How much fun would Alaska be supporting its' "fair share" of teat suckers?

=)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

jim in anchorage

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 02:12:59 AM »
1) We like it here.

2) How much fun would Alaska be supporting its' "fair share" of teat suckers?

=)
[/quote
I need to get back to you. Don't have enough booze in me to figure out your post. Working on that now.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
All I got was a tax free day at a pet supply store.  =(
But I did appreciate it.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
You must be from Texas to get it so wrong. There is no FEDERAL tax on Alaska oil that Alaska is receiving. The State collects ROYALTIES from oil extracted from it's OWN LAND. See the difference? If you had a gold mine in your yard, would you just give it away?

Royalty...tax....all the same when government is involved.
It increases the price the rest of us pay and that's where it comes from.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »
Anytime someone posts something good about Texas and guns, one or a few people come out of the woodwork to complain that their state is better on guns.  I think some people not from Texas have inferiority complexes.   =D

Hehe. Did anyone mention that a bill is going through the WI legislature right now that eliminates our stupid 48hr waiting period for buying handguns?
When this goes through, WI will have better (less) gun laws than Texas  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

jim in anchorage

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »
Royalty...tax....all the same when government is involved.
It increases the price the rest of us pay and that's where it comes from.

So you think Alaska should just give it's oil to BP? No charge?

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
All I got was a tax free day at a pet supply store.  =(

All I got is that dumbass stick sounds like it's raining.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »
Hehe. Did anyone mention that a bill is going through the WI legislature right now that eliminates our stupid 48hr waiting period for buying handguns?
When this goes through, WI will have better (less) gun laws than Texas  >:D
Good for you.  Hope it passes.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge