Author Topic: $DEITY bless Texas  (Read 6290 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: $DEITY bless Texas
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
Those sorts of royalties and export style taxes are probably the kind we should have.  It is the income tax we should get rid of.

Also, a chunk of higher education funding in Texas comes from oil income from state owned land. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
So you think Alaska should just give it's oil to BP? No charge?

Oh I didn't say that.  Just not agreeing that the lack of direct taxes you pay isn't the same as taxation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 03:58:57 AM »
All I got was a tax free day at a pet supply store.  =(
But I did appreciate it.  =)

We can buy guns at our pet supply stores here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »
All I got was a tax free day at a pet supply store.  =(
But I did appreciate it.  =)

I can imagine California missed out on a lot of taxes from you that day. =D

Oklahoma laws on firearms are middle of the road, need to change to constitutional carry, only reason I would like the permit/license to stay put is if they tied it into the NICS.

One place where Oklahoma is backwards is the damn liquor laws.  You can buy 3.2 beer on Sundays but can't buy liquor anywhere other than liquor stores which are closed on Sundays and you want more than water you have to buy it in a liquor store and it isn't going to be cold.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

jim in anchorage

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 08:23:57 AM »
Oh I didn't say that.  Just not agreeing that the lack of direct taxes you pay isn't the same as taxation.

I am not sure what you are getting at. I pay Federal taxes at the same rate as any one. Alaska doesn't have a state tax because of oil royalties. They are not "taxing" anyone simply selling a natural resource they own.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »

I am not sure what you are getting at. I pay Federal taxes at the same rate as any one. Alaska doesn't have a state tax because of oil royalties. They are not "taxing" anyone simply selling a natural resource they own.

It is a fee.  If Alaska wanted to sell the land and/or mineral rights it would do so and get paid lump sum or over time like a mortgage.  If it wanted to lease the mineral rights it would do so.  Instead, it collects its cream off the top and calls it "royalties."  Like a king or God, the state gov't of Alaska claims the first fruits.  Call it what you will, shareholders and customers still pay for those "royalties."  And just because the state gov't of Alaska then transfers the "royalties" to Alaska citizens, it does not change the fundamental nature of it.
1. Take the $$$ from those who produce useful products and services.
2. Give the $$ to those who did nothing (but show up with a pulse, a mouth, and an anus).

In the lower 48 we call that "welfare."  But, things are different in Alaska and obviously words change meaning when they change latitude.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

jim in anchorage

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
It is a fee.  If Alaska wanted to sell the land and/or mineral rights it would do so and get paid lump sum or over time like a mortgage.  If it wanted to lease the mineral rights it would do so.  Instead, it collects its cream off the top and calls it "royalties."  Like a king or God, the state gov't of Alaska claims the first fruits.  Call it what you will, shareholders and customers still pay for those "royalties."  And just because the state gov't of Alaska then transfers the "royalties" to Alaska citizens, it does not change the fundamental nature of it.
2. Give the $$ to those who did nothing (but show up with a pulse, a mouth, and an anus).

In the lower 48 we call that "welfare."  But, things are different in Alaska and obviously words change meaning when they change latitude.

You feel Alaska should just sell off it's oil producing land to BP? Tell me who that would benefit and why. [popcorn]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »

In point of fact Alaska both leases land to the oil companies (along with fed.gov and some native entities) AND taxes the revenues from that oil.  It must not be that bad, because the market bears it.

As far as what you are calling wellfare, not so much.  It is sharing of the profits of community owwned land.  When I get a dividend payment from BP that's not wellfare, it's my share of the componies profits as part owner.  Well the state owned lands in AK make a (large) profit, and each part owner of that land gets a dividend from that profit.

Alaska does have some wellfare programs, mostly native programs and some rural stuff, but they come from the general fund.

FWIW, AK is not unique in not having sales tax.  FL doesn't either.  We also leverage our natural resources (rich tourists and old people) to pay for our state gov.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »
You feel Alaska should just sell off it's oil producing land to BP? Tell me who that would benefit and why. [popcorn]

It would benefit me.  I'm a BP stock holder.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 10:29:22 AM »
It would benefit me.  I'm a BP stock holder.

You must have enjoyed the oil spill :lol: This whole Alaska is a welfare state by people like Roo kills me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm not so sure people from states like Texas and California should be calling the Alaskan kettle black. CA and TX take royalties from oil companies as well, except instead of giving it to "every anus", they just give it to the anuses they like, such as public schools and "the environment". At least AK is treating every oil company and anus somewhat equally.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jim in anchorage

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm not so sure people from states like Texas and California should be calling the Alaskan kettle black. CA and TX take royalties from oil companies as well, except instead of giving it to "every anus", they just give it to the anuses they like, such as public schools and "the environment". At least AK is treating every oil company and anus somewhat equally.

Good post. Not real happy over all the "anus" reference's however regards to Alaska . :mad:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »

Good post. Not real happy over all the "anus" reference's however regards to Alaska . :mad:

Nothing to be unhappy about - everybody has one. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jim in anchorage

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
Nothing to be unhappy about - everybody has one. :)

True but I don't know how that would work out if I called every one "butthead" =D