Author Topic: What if they had a gov shutdown, and no one cared?  (Read 6979 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: What if they had a gov shutdown, and no one cared?
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »
Posting this while out and about so I'm really glad that despite the shutdown, my Obama phone still has ser
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 10:46:12 PM »
WE'RE DOOMED!

According to CNN, the shutdown means we won't have any warning of an impending asteroid strike on Earth.

https://news.grabien.com/story-cnn-govt-shutdown-risks-undetected-asteroid-strike

Does this mean that the United States is the only country on this planet with telescopes and astronomers? Or do the other countries all hate us so much that they'll detect an asteroid but spitefully not tell us it's coming? Personally, if I'm going to die in an asteroid strike, I think I'd rather not know it's coming ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »
 >:D What difference does it make whether we know one's coming or not?  ???
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
Does this mean that the United States is the only country on this planet with telescopes and astronomers?

And, of course, even in this age of communications and relatively cheap high quality telescopes in private hands, only the Great and Holy FedGov could possibly see it or get the word out.

I do find it a bit odd that the NPS memos seem to imply that LE rangers were also considered nonessential; I would have assumed interpretive rangers would be sent home, but LE would still operate pretty much as normal.  (There also tend to be far fewer of them at the parks I'm familiar with; Carlsbad Caverns, for example, had three LE rangers total, and dozens of interpretive rangers on each shift last time I was there.)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,  your Federal Government:

I just received official notice that I need to go in to work tomorrow to receive written notice of my furlough. They hope to have it ready by noon.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »
Enjoy,  last time they pulled this it cost me a deployment to Norway.  Still pissed about that.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,  your Federal Government:

I just received official notice that I need to go in to work tomorrow to receive written notice of my furlough. They hope to have it ready by noon.

The shutdown will be over at 1159.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »
And, of course, even in this age of communications and relatively cheap high quality telescopes in private hands, only the Great and Holy FedGov could possibly see it or get the word out.

I do find it a bit odd that the NPS memos seem to imply that LE rangers were also considered nonessential; I would have assumed interpretive rangers would be sent home, but LE would still operate pretty much as normal.  (There also tend to be far fewer of them at the parks I'm familiar with; Carlsbad Caverns, for example, had three LE rangers total, and dozens of interpretive rangers on each shift last time I was there.)
What is an "interpretive ranger"? 

I am picturing rangers in animal outfits doing some sort of interpretive dance, but I am sure the real meaning is more entertaining.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
I am picturing rangers in animal outfits doing some sort of interpretive dance, but I am sure the real meaning is more entertaining.

β€œI am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar the Elfstone, Dunadan. The heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again!....... And this is how I feel when I think about the Patriarchy!”
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 12:02:02 AM »
What is an "interpretive ranger"?

Basically, any of the uniformed public faces at an NPS facility that isn't a commissioned law enforcement officer.  They take your money, guide you on tours, explain stuff, etc.  IOW, most NPS employees doing work that isn't likely to require ticketing, arresting and/or shooting you.  Usually almost the same uniform as the LE rangers, but no sidearm, a different badge and a much less cool car. 

(Another plug for Carlsbad Caverns NP; that place has the coolest rangers I've ever met, in either designation.  I've been to a few National Parks, and that one more than any of the others really felt like everybody who worked there loved their job and wanted visitors to have the best possible experience.  Of course, combining geology, history, a particularly attractive above ground environment and whatever the study of bats is called (I should know that, but it's not coming to me - nvm - looked it up; chiropterology) probably makes it high on a lot of people's "where I'd like to be assigned" list, so I'm sure they get their pick of the best rangers.  I know they get their pick of the fittest as I've seen more than one spend their free time running along the scenic loop miles from their vehicle on an August midafternoon...including one who had to be very near mandatory retirement age.  Dude's wrinkles had muscles.  The "I am both frightened and aroused" line in Wonder Woman could have described nearly all the female rangers there, too.)

I suppose at some of the NPS facilities where such could be a significant part of the history of the site, this may actually be a part of the job, though that sort of thing is more often done by students, volunteers or outside contractors.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
>> Govt shutdown

Seriously they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Government "shuts down" and everyone still keeps breathing as usual, drives home the point of how little Government we actually need.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:20 AM »
I'm at the office at the regular time this morning. My contract is funded through midnight on 8 February. After that, we hit the new fiscal year and a new contract funding structure, which means that if this crap happens again, I'll have to either burn leave or take time off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Isn't an "essential federal employee" an oxymoron?  :angel:

drives home the point of how little Government we actually need.

For sure. I say keep it closed for a couple months, we'll do fine. Maybe those suckling on the government teat will gain a little more appreciation for the tax dollars we've been paying them.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Tales from the Shutdown....The HORROR....THE HORROR !!!!!

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/01/20/dear-lord-the-screams-writers-tell-the-harrowing-tale-of-dc-after-the-shutdown/

This is quite possibly the greatest tweet I've ever read:

(Not) Bill O'Reilly @NotThatBill
11:35am: They have taken 14th Street Bridge and the Constitution Hall. Flake and Leahy and Nelson fell there. The pool is up to the wall at the Washington Monument. The Deep State took Orrin. We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.

DYING here.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »
Jim Acosta's "I haz a sad" tweet is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
"Even his wrinkles had muscles."

Roffle.  Fair notice: stealing.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
I like the truncated headline on my watch better than the full one:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
Hey Marnoot,  are you ever going to remove that cheap adhesive protective film from the face of your really expensive Dick Tracy watch? [popcorn] :lol: =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Re: What if they had a gov shutdown, and no one cared?
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
Hey Marnoot,  are you ever going to remove that cheap adhesive protective film from the face of your really expensive Dick Tracy watch? [popcorn] :lol: =D

That's a tempered glass screen protector that's done its job and needs replacing. I didnt realize $150 is a really expensive watch now. You could spend more on a ginuwine Rotex watch at Times Square. :P

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 09:29:36 PM »

Ha! I'm always keeping those protective films on things for a really long time.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
Interesting article relating to public use of federal areas during the shutdown.

I think Yosemite is like $30 for entry nowadays. People saved dough and got to do most of the things they might have done anyway.

As far as the negatives in the article: Seems like a lot of it involved personal responsibility. You go into the backcountry, you should be prepared to fend for yourself vs counting on ranger rescue. Certainly being able to call for help is a justified concern, but even in Yosemite, as busy as it is, there are plenty of place where you can go and not see a ranger all day.

Also I have to wonder about the concerns of the "conservation organization". Could there have been some vandalism during the shutdown? Sure. That also happens when the parks are fully staffed. I also note that the problems at Golden Gate were due to the gov shutting down the parking area. Had it been left open, there likely would have been no problems.

I'm not saying parks shouldn't be staffed at all, but I think this illustrates you don't need one ranger for every two people everywhere. Certainly this turned out a good deal differently than "make it hurt".

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/amp/Yosemite-s-3-days-under-shutdown-free-12516434.php
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."