Author Topic: Oakland school officials: Do Not cooperate with police  (Read 851 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Oakland school officials: Do Not cooperate with police
« on: October 03, 2022, 01:11:21 PM »
Apparently there was a gang related school shooting in Oakland with six people shot.

An Oakland school shooting that injured 6 was gang-related, police say
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/30/1126051454/oakland-school-shooting

Okay, nothing new in a city like Oakland unfortunately

But now this comes out. According to this article school officials texted victims not to cooperate with the police investigation and also according to the article it's not the first time. The school is denying it but
Law enforcement sources tell the I-Team, Oakland police investigators have obtained text messages from the shooting victims' phones in which Rudsdale school officials tell them not to cooperate with police.

School officials texted Oakland shooting victims to not cooperate with police investigation: Sources
https://abc7news.com/oakland-ca-school-shooting-rudsdale-king-estates-campus-police-investigation/12280458/

Also according to the article there's been an on going turf war going on between the schools and the police
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Oakland school officials: Do Not cooperate with police
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 02:05:56 PM »
I want to be surprised, but I'm not.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »

Also according to the article there's been an on-going turf war going on between the schools and the police

There may not be a good guy in this story.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 03:48:27 PM »
Also according to the article there's been an on going turf war going on between the schools and the police

Just another "gang on gang" conflict.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 04:04:16 PM »
Wouldn’t this be witness tampering or whatever version of that CA certainly has on the books as a crime?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
Wouldn’t this be witness tampering or whatever version of that CA certainly has on the books as a crime?

It depends.  ;)  The school is acting in loco parentis and should be protecting the rights of the students.  If the police ask to interrogate a student or search the classrooms during the school day, the answer should automatically be "No."  (If there are exigent circumstances the police will not be asking first)  The police will spin it differently, of course.  Police are habitual liars but so are many school administrators, so take everything here with a grain of salt.
"It's good, though..."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 04:29:45 PM »
Police are habitual liars but so are many school administrators
Excellent summation
7-11 was a part time job.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 08:20:50 AM »
It depends.  ;)  The school is acting in loco parentis and should be protecting the rights of the students.  If the police ask to interrogate a student or search the classrooms during the school day, the answer should automatically be "No."  (If there are exigent circumstances the police will not be asking first)  The police will spin it differently, of course.  Police are habitual liars but so are many school administrators, so take everything here with a grain of salt.

Yeah the whole thing is based on anonymous "law enforcement sources" who are likely trying deflect any blame onto school. The school may have done nothing more than inform students of their right to remain silent and the cops took offense to that.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 09:27:27 AM »
I realize circumstances in some schools today differ greatly from the early '70s when I was in high school, but if I were the victim of a crime, I sure as hell wouldn't let the administrators keep me from reporting it to the police.

On the other hand, one time a kid in one of my classes was questioned by school officials and the police about his whereabouts during the last week outside of school - and they wouldn't tell him why. ("WE'RE THE ONES ASKING THE QUESTIONS, NOT YOU!!!")

He shut his pie hole and despite their threats he flatly refused to talk without a parent and a lawyer present - he knew his rights as a minor. Cop and school officials weren't happy, but after some verbal browbeating, he was sent back to class. I talked to him a couple of weeks later and I understand his father really read the riot act to the principal about questioning a minor  without a parent present. Nothing more came of it, and they never found out for sure what it was all about. The kid guessed that something was stolen or vandalized after school hours, but that was only a guess. (Kid wasn't a known troublemaker.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »
Schools have a long history of avoiding letting the police in. When I was in highschool in the mid 90's I got my school to drop a suspension on me and another kid by insisting the call the police because I wanted to report an assault.

They'd rather let us both off the hook for fighting than have cops in their sandbox.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »
Along those lines
Lets play Cops and robbers good guys

Could be more to it

Two high school assistant principals supposedly opened school doors to permit four masked teenagers with guns to enter the building because the administrators feared for the safety of the suspects, at least three of whom appear to be black, since police had already arrived on the scene.

Security reportedly told them repeatedly not to left them in

To make matters worse, the school system is defending this nonsense, claiming that these armed teens were only allowed into a secure portion of the school and that the officials did so out of fear for the safety of students and staff.

Police did manage to arrest three of the four as they tried to flee, finding weapons on them.
Cleveland school allows armed teens into building to avoid cops
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/10/19/cleveland-armed-teens-n63414
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 02:11:13 PM »
What the actual *expletive deleted*ck?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 03:36:02 PM »
One of the local wokesters, who teaches English... er... alternative sex ed... at a local high school, vegged out during a shooter drill... and called 911... And the cops came... And he's triggered...
Blog under construction