Author Topic: 1970s Honda motorcycles...  (Read 3345 times)

gbelleh

1970s Honda motorcycles...
« on: June 19, 2005, 12:45:10 PM »
I've been getting interested in motorcycles recently.  I find I don't really like the modern sport bike or Harley cruiser look.  I like the looks of the Honda CBs of the 70s.  Anyone have experience with these?  I'm interested in a 1970s CB in the 350-550 cc range.  Anything to watch out for?  Notorious problems, etc.?  I'm still new to bikes and don't know a whole lot yet.  I see there are quite a few bikers here.  Thanks.
gbelleh

P95Carry

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 04:57:42 PM »
gbelleh - well I have had two CB's -

First was CB 250 (later called ''Super Dream!!") bought new ........... then a CB400 (used) .

The first was ''OK'' but hardly staggering!  I used it for city and urban commute and it did so quite well - except - I was aware after 15k miles that top end noise was getting a bit excessive.  On inspection found the cam follower on two rockers was worn thru!!  Cam lobes were OK fortunately so just replaced rockers.

The CB400 was a mini rocket!  What a GREAT little bike - and it was small!  But very lively, handling was fair and altogether a great fun machine.  Sounded nice too.  Only had that from about 10k thru 18k miles and no major probs tho had a feeling cam chain was getting premature slop tho I checked adjustment.

Finally - a buddy in 1975 got one of the earlier CB 750's - oh man!!  Rode with him on that and in the city streets we did 0-60 in - very quick time - just getting into 2nd gear!  I'd love to have a good 750 - it was a fine bike - tho I seem to remember the exhaust systems rotted out a bit quick.

In your size range quoted - see if you can find an OK CB400 - tho can't believe there can be too many around.  Good hunting. Smiley
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:55:29 PM »
gbelleh if your real serious about finding an old CB .. I'd reccomend talking to
Bob Troxell owner of Motorsports Honda in Wichita,KS
bob@motorsports-ks.com
go to honda's motorcycle website and search for a dealer in 67216 for their phone number.

He has owned many hard to find and rare CBs and should be able to point you in the right direction.
He may even have what your looking for.

Best of luck in your search.   I found the Cb750 turbo to be one of the most wicked of bikes.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

gbelleh

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 07:19:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
veloce, I actually go to Wichita once or twice a year.  I'll check it out next time I go.  

How loud are these bikes?  I need something quiet.  (Already have some hearing damage...don't want a loud bike)

There are quite a few nice CBs listed on ebaymotors, so I know there are still nice examples out there.  I'm in no rush to buy (I still have a lot to learn).  Mainly I'm just looking for a classic bike to cruise around town on the weekends.  I don't need anything super fast, but I'd like to be able to take it on the freeway occasionally.
gbelleh

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:13:23 AM »
I worked on them in the late 70's early 80's. Of the ones you mentioned, the CB 500, 550 four cylinders had the best motors. Overall very nice bikes. The later model Hawks (don't remember if they were called CB or not but around 79) were also great machines. They were twins but had good reliable motors and handled well. Any would be OK on the highway. Although the early 70s CB350 probably topped out at about 85 or 90, so it doesn't have any extra if you are cruising at extra legal speeds.

As far as noise, all were considered among the more quiet of the bikes available at the time. But mufflers tended to rust out quickly then, so many ended up with aftermarket pipes. I have no idea of how easy it would be to get replacements today.

And remeber that these bikes are 25 years old. They have carbs and points, not a single computer. So it will take a bit of extra maintenance to keep them on the road.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ray

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 10:51:42 AM »
My first street bike was a  Honda 350 twin and later I owned a 400 four. The 350 was just a great little bike. Super reliable, the only quirk was an timing chain through the center of the jug that wasn't removable without dismounting the jug. We solved that by taking off the valve cover and breaking a link by grinding off the peen on the pins and replacing it with the master link from a 500 four's timing chain. After that, no problems at all! Although like griz said, points and carbs, so get friendly with a mechanic or learn to do it yourself.

That 400 four was absolutely a pocket rocked! I recall splitting lanes, racing a Sportster at 100 mph.  The bike was nowhere near the redline but with other traffic around that was faster than I was willing to go, and faster than I should have been going. Still, that would be a great bike to own, given that same (points and carbs) restriction.

The 750 is plenty of bike for cruising. And all of them are air cooled, no radiators to worry about. Harleys are nice, but these are the bikes that opened up motorcycling to the masses.

P95Carry

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »
Points and carbs - oh the good ol' days.  Knew where you were with that stuff.  Could set timing spot on to suit, CD carbs were fine unless diaphragm's sprung a leak.  How much simpler maintainance was then!

Hardware - agree 100% on the 400 four - wish to blazes I still had one - for sheer fun riding.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

HForrest

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 11:42:15 PM »
It's a weird coincidence I was thinking the exact same thing as you, just yesterday. I want either a 70's honda CB or similar idea bike (certain 70s harleys). I really don't like the "cruiser" look and think a bike like a 70's CB would be versatile and cheap.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »
I've got a 1970 Honda CL450 that I picked up a while back.

Really needs the engine clutch and transmission rebuilt.  In other words, not really worth my time right now.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
Has sir considered something in the suzuki range? The GS models are good for their time, the 1000/1100 I helped rebuild two years ago was fun to work with and parts are readily available still.
CB 750 would be my choice of honda though. 250 superdream is not one of my favourite bikes.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

thorn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 07:33:20 PM »
i LOVED my 1978 honda cb400 hawk type a

totally awesome. it had rear sets on it which if you can find one, get it . so fun, makes you lay down like a race bike sorta. that was a great bike

Marshall

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
I would really like a NIB red SL 350.

Marshall