Author Topic: So who's gonna win?  (Read 4266 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
So who's gonna win?
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:53:21 PM »
Detroit just forced Game 7.  Who will come out ahead?  I honestly have no idea.  First four games, the spread is huge, the last two, it was pretty much a point-for-point game.  I think we'll go back to a huge lead on one side in the last game, but I dunno for which side.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:55:24 PM »
I honestly don't care.

Sorry, basketball ranks right up there with booger picking for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Preacherman

So who's gonna win?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 07:17:42 PM »
Ditto what Mike said.  No interest whatsoever.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

jefnvk

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 07:53:48 PM »
I usually don't care, but in case you didn't notice, no hockey this year Sad

Gotta watch something, and as long as the home team is in the finals, might as well be basketball.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 03:15:34 AM »
Ah, hockey.

For me, generally basketball on ice.

I've not missed it in the least.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 04:16:55 AM »
I find some sports interesting to play.  Going to the game, nifty enough in some cases.   Watching them on TV?  Seems kinda boring.  

My only problem is the lack of violence in contact sports these days.  Now Aussie football, THAT'S a sport.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

InfidelSerf

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 05:15:51 AM »
If risk of death or serious maiming isn't involved.  It's not a sport Smiley

Give me motorcycle racing anyday.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 06:01:17 AM »
"If risk of death or serious maiming isn't involved.  It's not a sport."

Oh please.

You sound like MTNBKR.

mtnbkr

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 06:10:20 AM »
Funny, I was getting ready to post an agreement. Cheesy

I hate team sports.  They're not sports, they're games.

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 07:06:53 AM »
Wow, everyone aroud here hates sports.

Wonder how they'll react when I tell them my favorite is NASCAR then?

mtnbkr

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 07:25:53 AM »
Wow, everyone aroud here hates sports
I don't hate sports, I hate games masquerading as sports.

NASCAR's ok, but I prefer drag racing.  

Prefer mountain bike racing over all though, especially if I'm a participant. Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 07:35:44 AM »
From the dictionary...

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

Looks like basketball, hockey, football, etc., all qualify as sports.

Unless, of course, you're a narrowminded anarchist who things that pumping one's legs up and down in a quasi circular motion while a hard rubber bike seat slams you the in the ghoolies, at which point you're just a freak. Cheesy

Oh, and from the dictionary definition? Nascar & drag racing aren't sports. They're just freakshows.

mtnbkr

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 07:57:42 AM »
The definition was obviously written by fans of "sports" rather than scholars. Tongue

Chris

Sean Smith

So who's gonna win?
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 08:47:33 AM »
If you don't care so much, why crap on the topic?  rolleyes

jefnvk

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 09:01:12 AM »
I could argue a few points that motorsports guys are athlets, but would anyone here actually care?  Plenty of examples of physical exertion and physical streses put on the drivers.  Most likely much more than something like golf.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 10:36:38 AM »
"The definition was obviously written by fans of "sports" rather than scholars."

Wow, you've got two strikes against you! Wanna try for strike three? Wink

"If you don't care so much, why crap on the topic?"

Why, crapping on topics is a sport! I'm surprised that you didn't know that! Cheesy

"Plenty of examples of physical exertion and physical streses put on the drivers."

Also takes a hell of a lot of skill to keep the wheel turned to the left for 500 laps... Wink

client32

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 11:47:52 AM »
To get back to the question........

Spurs are going to win.  (I'm from tx, gotta go for them Wink )
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

jefnvk

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 12:17:21 PM »
Also takes a hell of a lot of skill to keep the wheel turned to the left for 500 laps...
Some people think it doesn't take much skill to shoot holes in a distant target, either.

grampster

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »
DEEEEEEEEETROIT!  IN OVERTIME!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 04:15:28 PM »
"Some people think it doesn't take much skill to shoot holes in a distant target, either."

Not sure if that's an observation, or whether I've violated the sacred "never make fun of NASCAR" rule...

Darrin

So who's gonna win?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 04:20:09 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"If you don't care so much, why crap on the topic?"

Why, crapping on topics is a sport! I'm surprised that you didn't know that! Cheesy
I've heard of guys pissing for distance and/or accuracy before, does that count?

Antibubba

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 06:50:43 PM »
Mike, I'm offended.  Boogerpicking at least clears the nasal passages, which is far more than a televised basketball game will do.

Revise it to "Booger picking ranks above basketball", and I'll forgive you.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

jefnvk

• friend
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 07:26:10 PM »
Nope, just an observation.  Just because you don't like or see something in other's interests, doesn't make it stupid or unskillful to those that do.  Just trying to draw a parallel.

I can draw one to benchrest shooting.  I don't see any skill at all in setting up the gun in rock solid rests, and shooting something a long ways away, but using a high power, quality scope.  But I do know there is some required somewhere, because I sure can't just jump up and do it.  Just like I don't see how Bullseye pistol is so difficult, but I struggle to hit 70 in slowfire.  I mean, all you do is stand there and shoot a black circle at 50 feet.

Likewise, I cannot do 205 MPH four wide into Turn 1 at Michigan Speedway.  On TV they look just like they are floating around.  Looks like they are driving on the interstate.  Standing next to the fence, its kinda like 'HOLY CRAP!  Those guys are MOVING'

Likewise, the San Antonio guy hit a 3 pointer with 5 seconds left to win the game.  I can shoot three pointers, he was wide open, had a clear shot with plenty of time.  Could I have one it?  Nope.  I am quite sure there I would have choked.

Just because you don't precieve skill, doesn't pean it ain't there.

EDIT: oh, and while you could probablt argue that drivers aren't skillful, aren't athletes, I'd like to see you do the same of the pit crew.

EDIT 2:  and to get back on track, I sure hope Detriot wins.  Not only because they are the home team, but that Argentinian foreign exchange student has been up playing hs guy on the Spurs.  He's gotta lose.  I refuse to lose to a foreigner (At least, this particular foreigner).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 05:11:18 AM »
"oh, and while you could probablt argue that drivers aren't skillful, aren't athletes, I'd like to see you do the same of the pit crew."

I'd never argue that.

To be a successful NASCAR driver you have to be in great condition (those cars get hotter than three shades of hell) and you have to have incredible reflexes and instincts.

The skill in benchrest shooting is in the ability to read the wind and in carrying out precise handloading techniques.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
So who's gonna win?
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 05:15:51 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I honestly don't care.

Me too.  
[soapbox]Especially since they are mostly uneducated thugs who'd likely be selling drugs if it weren't for being talented at thier given sport.  I'd be more impressed if most of them used thier money and fame to tear down the thug culture...instead of propogating it.  
[/soapbox]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”