Author Topic: What caliber for grizzly bear that comes back?  (Read 1170 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for grizzly bear that comes back?
« on: July 19, 2022, 11:28:01 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: What caliber for grizzly bear that comes back?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »
I've not been to the Seattle Times site in years.

I clicked that link and boom, you've reached your limit on free articles! Pay us!

Nah.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 11:36:06 AM »

I clicked that link and boom, you've reached your limit on free articles! Pay us!

Nah.

And the irony is I'm sure there are plenty of articles on the evils of capitalism behind that pay wall.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 11:49:13 AM »
I read the article, and this bear seems like a problem bear.  It was reported as trying to break into a trailer earlier that night, and breaking into chicken coops in the area afterwards. Neither of those are good signs.

but.......

After scaring it off, Lokan, a 65-year-old visiting from Chico, Calif., moved food out of her tent to a nearby building. She armed herself with a can of bear spray. She declined an offer to stay in a hotel for the night. Then, she and the Coles returned to their respective tents.
[After the first encounter] Lokan tried to make her camp more bear-safe, the report said. Although she moved her snacks and lentils out of the tent into a nearby building, the bags in which she kept her toiletries still smelled of the dried blueberries they’d once contained, investigators said. Moreover, she still had food — beef jerky, trail mix, granola bars, a baked potato — in the saddle bags draped over her bike, which was about 10 feet from her tent.

There's things you just don't do in bear country. That is so far out of safe camping as to fall in to the "Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes" category.  She clearly had no business being where she was as she lacked basic knowledge needed for being outdoors.  If it hadn't been this it would have been something else.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:11:37 PM by dogmush »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 11:49:20 AM »
And the irony is I'm sure there are plenty of articles on the evils of capitalism behind that pay wall.

THAT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, YOU CAPITOFASCIST, YOU!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 12:59:55 PM »

Curious.  I'm not hitting a pay wall, and never paid a penny to the Seattle Times.  Using Brave browser in private mode.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
Got right in, no paywall, brave browser in "as-is" loading.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »
I'm at the office. Firefox.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 01:13:25 PM »
Just checked
Hitting a evil capitalistic paywall on Firefox but not with Brave.
Could be keying off cookies. Some sites key off IP address
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 03:03:58 PM »
Between using Brave and the NoScript extension, I rarely run into paywall problems any more.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 08:51:14 PM »
When they do an "X-free articles per month" thing for a paywall, they usually set a cookie on your browser that keeps track of the number of times you've accessed the website that month, and bring up the paywall when they've detected you've reached the limit.

No-Script and similar blockers defeat the scripts that are used to implement this. Another way around it is to either use a private window, which bypasses cookies, or delete all cookies for that website whenever you hit the paywall.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 09:00:42 PM »
When they do an "X-free articles per month" thing for a paywall, they usually set a cookie on your browser that keeps track of the number of times you've accessed the website that month, and bring up the paywall when they've detected you've reached the limit.

No-Script and similar blockers defeat the scripts that are used to implement this. Another way around it is to either use a private window, which bypasses cookies, or delete all cookies for that website whenever you hit the paywall.

I've run across sites like that where the number of free articles must be set to zero.   :mad:

In the Edge browsers, when I hit a paywall I press F9 to go into "immersive reader" mode and that usually gets around it.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 09:03:40 PM »
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 09:34:58 PM »
She armed herself with a can of bear spray.
So as far as grizzly bears are concerned, she actually was an unarmed blissninny. :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 09:59:35 PM »
So a friend of mine was riding around in his enclosed sideXside in the Utah mountains this weekend. They have a few bears, elk and moose. His wife picked up the bear spray and somehow hit the trigger and soaked him in it. He said the worst was that it soaked his jeans and his balls were still burning yesterday.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 10:01:32 PM »
So a friend of mine was riding around in his enclosed sideXside in the Utah mountains this weekend. They have a few bears, elk and moose. His wife picked up the bear spray and somehow hit the trigger and soaked him in it. He said the worst was that it soaked his jeans and his balls were still burning yesterday.

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 10:04:11 PM »
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

Why didn't I think of that?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 10:07:20 PM »
I used to live and work in the mountains as a ranger. A rifle sighted Remington 11-87P with 6 slugs in the magazine tube was my bear repellent. Also worked to win over the hearts and minds of tweakers and other shitstains of society.

The previous occupant of my house had a bear come halfway through his kitchen window. You can bet I was going to whack Mr. Bear if he tried that *expletive deleted*it on my watch.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 12:40:14 AM »
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Sneaking old jokes in here I see.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
I'm at the office. Firefox.

FF at home - no paywall.
The fact that this "lady" was stupid enough to decline staying at the hotel after the initial attack says a lot about her reasoning ability - or lack thereof.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”