Author Topic: 1972 Johnson boat motor happiness  (Read 785 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
1972 Johnson boat motor happiness
« on: July 25, 2022, 11:54:07 AM »
It’s a 6hp and I am happy and a little bit proud.
My father bought it new. We used to haul it in the back of a big Chrysler when we rented a cabin in Minnesota that came with a boat but no motor or paid extra for one with an old junk outboard.
50 years old and still looks almost new.
I have kept it in good order and used it every year since he died in 1996.
2 weeks ago I was fishing around some submerged trees and motored out under low throttle when I felt a jolt. Thought I hit a tree or stump but didn’t see anything. A few seconds later started spinning like it was in neutral. I stopped, shifted into reverse, back into forward and motored across the lake just fine. Docked it and got the Jeep and trailer and motored right onto the trailer.
Obviously a shifting or gear issue.
Last week took my son in law fishing. Drifted off the trailer and reverse was fine. No forward, none.
Crap. Fished for 6 hours with bow mount trolling motor only. (Caught a nice batch of ‘gills.)Loaded up with hand winch and some difficulty.
Gear and pinion $288 if parts are even available. New 10hp Honda $2700. Yikes!
Yesterday I put it on a stand in the shop to find a prop shear pin in 3 pieces! Apparently it sheared and left enough of a burr to catch in reverse but not forward. 50 years and this is the first time I ever sheared a prop pin.
2 years ago I cleaned out my dads old tackle box and came across a spare pin. Eventually found where I put it and replaced. Changed lower unit lube and cleaned everything up and new plugs. A little spray paint on the hood and it will look and run like new again. Also glued the 50th anniversary emblem back on that I found in the tackle box 2 years ago.
Probably silly of me but I am giddy at the thought of using dads little outboard for a few more years.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 04:20:00 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: 1972 Johnson boat motor happiness
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »
Nice!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 12:21:49 PM »
That’s incredible. Keep running it. Find some gas with lead in it if you can and maybe a little top lube, the motor will probably outlast you. My dad has a 1930-40ish Johnson seahorse stashed, it was running when he pickled it and put it in storage.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 01:31:56 PM »
That's cool. Love to see the old stuff still in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gIdMRwfuM
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »
It’s never burned ethanol gas. I always seafoam it or use fuel with stabil and run it out in the fall and then store it in the barn on a stand.
Typically, it starts on the second pull and runs like a top.
It’s on my 14” semi V Jon boat. Perfect for the kind of fishing I do around here, usually reclaimed strip mine lakes.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 03:00:57 PM »
2 stroke Johnson's and Evinrudes are the bomb.  I had a 6hp Johnson that I bought in '77.  I think my oldest son still has it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 03:41:58 PM »
Very nice.

As the saying goes, "They don't make 'em like that any more."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »
That’s incredible. Keep running it. Find some gas with lead in it if you can and maybe a little top lube, the motor will probably outlast you. My dad has a 1930-40ish Johnson seahorse stashed, it was running when he pickled it and put it in storage.

It's a 50:1 2 stroke, don't need lead  or top end lube.

I used to have a 76 6hp Evinrude and a 75 25hp Johnson. .
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 10:02:26 PM »
It's a 50:1 2 stroke, don't need lead  or top end lube.

I used to have a 76 6hp Evinrude and a 75 25hp Johnson. .

50:1 at that age? wow. My dad's kart motors from the late 50s I thing he ran as much as 8:1 in really long races just because the ones that ran light usually blew up. Of course he ran an ungodly amount of nitro and I think fooled with other stuff the EPA won't let us have. Of course it was castor oil I imagine mosquitos weren't a problem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 11:10:15 PM »
Not silly at all to find joy in that.  Good on you, and thank you for sharing  =)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 11:48:56 PM »
50:1 at that age? wow. My dad's kart motors from the late 50s I thing he ran as much as 8:1 in really long races just because the ones that ran light usually blew up. Of course he ran an ungodly amount of nitro and I think fooled with other stuff the EPA won't let us have. Of course it was castor oil I imagine mosquitos weren't a problem.

50:1 is a recent EPA emissions mandate, it's not actually good for the engines. With modern oils, most 2 strokes can survive on 32:1, but more oil is still better for the engine. My dad still has manuals from the 60's that say to use 24:1, more oil will likely foul the plug too much and less will reduce the life of the engine.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 07:33:18 AM »

It's a outboard boat engine that exhausts into the water. Marine engine manufacturers thinned out their mixes starting in the 60s before the EPA, to reduce the oil slick and plug fouling.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536