Author Topic: Crackdown on gun owners proposed  (Read 4667 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Crackdown on gun owners proposed
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »
I wonder what their rush is to pass laws against gun owership in America.  Is the Federal Government planning something that they need us unarmed?

Crackdown on gun owners proposed
Chad Groening - OneNewsNow
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=411994

A Second Amendment rights organization is concerned that a bill being sponsored by a liberal Democrat would put stringent requirements on gun owners. 

A spokesperson for Gun Owners of America (GOA http://gunowners.org/ ) says one day into the 111th Congress, former Black Panther and Illinois Democrat Bobby Rush introduced legislation that says anyone who wants to purchase, own, or possess a "qualifying firearm" would have to be licensed by the state or federal government in a licensing program managed by the U.S. attorney general.

Larry Pratt, executive director and president of GOA, is concerned. "We find it extraordinary that somebody like Representative Bobby Rush, who is an ex-Black Panther -- he actually served time in jail on weapons charges -- would evidently think that's his expertise for prescribing gun control for everybody else in the country," he contends.

If the bill passes, Pratt says it would require a license for every gun owned by private American citizens.

"It would be both retroactive as well as anything one buys in the future," he notes. "It would require a license. A license may or may not be given. It may or may not be renewed after five years. One has to submit psychiatric records as part of the process of being qualified, passing an exam."

According to Pratt, anyone with any sense or any respect for the Constitution should bristle at proposed legislation that wants to place the nation's Bill of Rights in the hands of one man.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Crackdown on gun owners proposed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
Yeah, we've heard of H.R. 45.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:40:47 PM by Don't care »

lone_gunman

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »
Marriage is not a constitutional right.

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »
Then what the hell did we get out of FOPA?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:41:05 AM »

A delay of the inevitable.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:14:21 AM »
That's a blog that could qualify for the term "slowpoke", definitely. Where have they been for the past month?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »
On marriage, there is nothing stopping you from getting married with a pastor/priest and just being married without the license.  The better analogy would be outlawing any marriage outside that done/approved by a judge. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »

Paperwork reductions, a few minor advances, and a ban on new production of entire group of firearm.  I call that running in place, but views differ. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
We all know what they want to do.

The question is what we want to do.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »
On marriage, there is nothing stopping you from getting married with a pastor/priest and just being married without the license.  The better analogy would be outlawing any marriage outside that done/approved by a judge.

QFT. Would that all gun laws were as voluntary as marriage. It's not like having sex or living with a member of the opposite sex without a marriage license is a federal crime.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »
Bobby Rush sponsors gun control legislation.

You have GOT to be kidding me.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
Bobby Rush sponsors gun control legislation.

You have GOT to be kidding me.
Do  you think the group he founded - the Black Panthers - will obey any gun control law?

Have you considered that criminals prefer unarmed victims?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
Ah, GOA seizing on yet another fund raising opportunity. ;/
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
Is this the bill that immediately was sequestered to die in committee?  The one that when submitted had no cosponsers?

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
Is this the bill that immediately was sequestered to die in committee?  The one that when submitted had no cosponsers?

It moved on the 9th, but no sponsors.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 05:31:22 AM »
You guys already know this, but it bears repeating that you guys simply cannot let this happen. You have already seen where licensing for handguns and rifles leads, here in the U.K.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
You guys already know this, but it bears repeating that you guys simply cannot let this happen. You have already seen where licensing for handguns and rifles leads, here in the U.K.

Yes. Licensing and registration are the first steps to confiscation.

My state has absolutely no idea what I have in my safe, and I am going to keep it that way.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »
Email sent to my Congressmen.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, MW, and say "guns". :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
...former Black Panther and Illinois Democrat Bobby Rush introduced legislation that says anyone who wants to purchase, own, or possess a "qualifying firearm" would have to be licensed by the state or federal government in a licensing program managed by the U.S. attorney general.

And to think, one of main founding principles of the original Black Panthers was armed self-defense.
My how times have changed.  =(

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).