Author Topic: Dems Break Promise To Post Stimulus Bill Online For 48-Hour Public Airing...  (Read 10756 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Does anyone think they want us to know what is in the "Stimulus Bill" before they pass it?  They are probably as afraid of us knowing this as they were afraid of us knowing what was in the "Amnesty Bill."

Dems Break Promise To Post Stimulus Bill Online For 48-Hour Public Airing...

SURPRISE! Dems Break Promise: Stimulus Bill to Floor Friday
by  Connie Hair

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30697

In a press conference Thursday, the House Republican leadership spoke candidly about being kept out of the House-Senate conference on the Obama-Pelosi-Reid so-called “economic stimulus” bill.  They confirmed they had not yet seen the text of the bill as of 4 p.m.

Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) said he was unsure how many Democrats would vote with Republicans again on this bill but that he thought Republicans “may get a few” Democrats to side with them.  The fact that the Demos have now broken their promise to have the public able to see the bill for 48 hours may drive more Dems into the Republican camp.

don’t know, ‘cause they haven’t seen the bill either,” Boehner said.

“The American people have a right to know what’s in this bill,” Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind) told HUMAN EVENTS after the press conference.  “Every member of Congress -- Republicans and Democrats -- voted to post this bill on the internet for 48 hours, 48 hours ago. We’ll see if the Democrats keep their word.”

Actually -- as of 5:15 pm, the Democrats had broken their word. The stimulus bill -- which we still haven’t seen -- will be released late tonight and will be brought up on the House floor at 9 am tomorrow.

The following statement was released by Majority Leader Steny Hoyer at 4:57 p.m.:

"The House is scheduled to meet at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow and is expected to proceed directly to consideration of the American Recovery and Reinvestment conference report. The conference report text will be filed this evening, giving members enough time to review the conference report before voting on it tomorrow afternoon."

Meanwhile, at an earlier presser Thursday, Pelosi -- while talking about legislation regarding school construction funds -- said it was vital to see the language of a bill before making decisions.  ReadtheStimulus.org had the following quote:

“With all of this you have to see the language. You said this --- I said that --- I understood it to be this way --- you know, we wanted to see it in writing and when we did that then we were able to go forward."

"Around here language means a lot. Words weigh a ton and one person's understanding of a spoken description might vary from another's. We wanted to see it. And not only just I had to see it, I had to show it to my colleagues and my caucus. We wanted to take all the time that was necessary to make sure it was right."

Congressional members are also exchanging barbs via the popular social network Twitter.  Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) twittered, "Don't know when we're going to vote. Will the no votes delay vote just because they can? Speed is important. They know that."

House Republican Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) twittered back, “Those in favor of speed over commonsense may just be afraid of letting the People know what they are ramming through.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connie Hair is a freelance writer, a former speechwriter for Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) and a former media and coalitions advisor to the Senate Republican Conference.

griz

• friend
Congress will probably vote on it before the final version is even written.  Sounds weird but that's the way it usually happens.  The 48 hour thing was a lie from the get go.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

They did the same thing for the PATRIOT Act.  Vote virtually sight unseen.   

Definitely a bad sign.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Desertdog

• friends
They did the same thing for the PATRIOT Act.  Vote virtually sight unseen.   

Definitely a bad sign.
They don't want us to know what is in it.  That's all.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
People are more willing to do risky/stupid things when they haven't had time to think 'em through. They can run this thing through before the public gets geared up and starts overloading phone lines and email inboxes, scaring reps and senators who might not win re-election.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The bill is over 1300 pages long. Even if they had posted it 48 hours ago, who could make heads or tails of it in that period of time?

While at the gym yesterday, my wife had to shut me up after I started talking about bombing congress.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
The bill is over 1300 pages long. Even if they had posted it 48 hours ago, who could make heads or tails of it in that period of time?

While at the gym yesterday, my wife had to shut me up after I started talking about bombing congress.

Remember remember the fifth of November...
Look, tiny text!

Jimmy Dean

• friend
Remember remember the fifth of November...

Funny....I am actually watching that right now.....then again....I watch it normally once a day, to keep reminding myself that the time is indeed coming.

buzz_knox

• friend

You can always search for key words, like "assault", "registration," or "ban."

Manedwolf

• friend
Pelosi wants to rush the vote so she can go off to Rome.

HURRY, FELLAS, LET'S VOTE, I AM OFF TO ROME!
Fri Feb 13 2009 09:18:52 ET

Rep. John Culberson, TX claims the "stimulus" bill must be urgently voted on today -- because Speaker Nancy Pelosi is leaving at 6:00 PM for an 8 day trip to Europe!

Culberson made the charge on Houston's KSEV radio.

Pelosi is hoping to lead a delegation to Europe; there's a meeting with the Pope and an award from an Italian legislative group.

Calls to Pelosi's spokesman went unreturned.

In the rushing, Democrats have now broken their promise to have the public see the $790 billion bill for 48 hours before any vote.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) predicted that none of his Senate colleagues would 'have the chance' to read the entire final version of the 1,071-page bill before it comes up for a final vote.

Developing...

Take your fiddle, Pelosi.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashpr.htm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:05:49 AM by Manedwolf »

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:38:48 PM by Don't care »

buzz_knox

• friend
Someone needs to slip a provision in one of these bills that makes failing to read an entire bill before voting for it a felony.

Manedwolf

• friend
Oh, hey, look at this!

The total size of the four major files is over 100MB, and consists of 1419 pages. Three of the four files are huge "scanned" PDFs, meaning they were created by printing the original document and then scanning it in again --- and therefore contain no real "text" that can be easily searched.

Gee. Now, why would they do that?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Heat 'em up and melt 'em down!
Time to start calling the capitol switchboard. (202)224-3121  - ask for your rep.
Not likely to stop it but let 'em know we ain't happy!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Manedwolf

• friend
The speaker's site has crashed.

Desertdog

• friends
Heat 'em up and melt 'em down!
Time to start calling the capitol switchboard. (202)224-3121  - ask for your rep.
Not likely to stop it but let 'em know we ain't happy!
My Congressman is a Republican, and I don't think he will vote for it.  My Senators are Boxer and Feinstien, it does no good to contact them, unless you are are in LA or SF, the two areas that elect them.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Oh, hey, look at this!

Gee. Now, why would they do that?

Feed it through an OCR algorithm.

Manedwolf

• friend
Feed it through an OCR algorithm.

It won't even come up now.

I'm pretty sure they just want to ram this through before anyone can actually analyze it and find all the horrible things.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Uh, guys?

Here at Armed Polite Society we don't even JOKE about bombing Congress or any other arm of the government.

You want to talk about that, do so on some other board.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
It won't even come up now.

I'm pretty sure they just want to ram this through before anyone can actually analyze it and find all the horrible things.

Do you (or anyone you know) have a complete copy?

It hasn't even hit the torrent networks yet.  :|

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I scanned/searched the stimulus package that was sent to the senate from the house. Nothing showed up as firearms except about some money for salaries for the ATF.

If you know how to use THOMAS you can find about anything.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
Here's a copy: Link

Manedwolf

• friend

Calumus

• friend
From what I understand, by doing what they did and scanning it to an image format they may have violated federal law. Apparently all .gov documents have to be compatable with the readers that blind people use. This one isn't.  From the comments on humanevents.com

"Posting the documents on the web without providing a means for screen readers to read the document is against Section 508 of the 1998 amendment to the Rehabilitation Act (http://www.ed.gov/policy/speced/reg/narrative.html). They are discriminating against those who are unable to see which, for a government entity, is illegal.
Feb 13, 2009 @ 10:23 AM
SK, USA"

Anyone have any idea if this guy is right? If so, is this a possible out on this bill?
Shawn

Nick1911

• Administrator
There are two halves.

Here's the other half: Link