Author Topic: Advice on a new mattress?  (Read 3107 times)

Justin

• friend
Advice on a new mattress?
« on: December 31, 2005, 07:47:44 PM »
My back has been killing me lately.

Would buying a new mattress help to alleviate some of this?  If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 08:17:38 PM »
Tempur-Pedic.

Couldn't hurt.  You might also take a look at your footwear. Does your back hurt on waking/getting up or does it start bugging you after you've been on your feet awhile? My Ariat boots are wearing out and after walking a few miles my lower back bugs me. Check the heels of your footwear.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 08:28:35 PM »
Sure, it might cure it, if it's the cause of it.  For me, at least, the mattress is the root of almost any back pain I have, which is why I detest hotels with anything softer than solid concrete.  I have been told that firmness and back alignment are directly proportional.  I was also told that all mattresses are essentially the same once you get below the cushion on top.  All the fancy coil designs and spring pockets and other assorted silliness are supposedly pointless.  The number of coils does, obviously, affect the mattress, but stay away from gimmicky designs with exotic, expensive hardware.  You can usually spot those because they'll have some sort of plexiglass-encapsulated display to show off their neato-spiffy springs.

I do occasionally remind people that your body was made for sleeping on the ground with maybe a pile of straw thrown in for padding.  Softer mattresses, the ones with fewer coils or poorly inflated air systems will tend to put a bow in your back.  A sailor who does daily stretches and exercises on the deck (and is 19) can usually get away with sleeping in a hammock, but it doesn't do so well for regular folk.  Look for something good and firm in the spring department, and then go model by model until you find the top padding that you like.  If you go that route, any of the popular brands will be just exactly the same.  A friend who worked in furniture liquidation for a couple years reported that many of the big label mattresses come out of the same factory with different labels.  There just isn't that much difference.

If you're so inclined, one of these controllable air systems might not be such a bad idea.  I've been leaning in that direction the last year or so, since my mattress is almost old enough to vote.  If I can get the money together, I might just get one, so I think it's worth looking into to see how it matches your situation.

If your back is really hurting, a doctor visit might be in order.  See your doctor, and maybe your podiatrist if you can.  Bring in your regular shoes and have him look at them.  Many, many foot problems can be diagnosed with relative ease by a good podiatrist taking a look at how you wear your shoe tread.  Just as rabbit said, your feet are where it all starts.  Quality shoes make a huge difference.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 02:23:08 AM »
The sleep number bed. My back feels great since we got it but the wife's is as bad as ever. So it can go either way. It's an air mattress with an automatic pump so you can vary the firmness to your liking. If I come across the name I'll post it for you.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 04:09:44 AM »
Select Comfort is the name.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Preacherman

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 07:14:17 AM »
Justin, as you know, I'm partially disabled as a result of a back injury, and so my mattress is a really, REALLY important part of my life!

I chose one of the all-foam mattresses, but not a Tempur-Pedic, because that's "memory foam" all the way through, and a bit soft.  You can get others (of various brand names) that incorporate memory foam outer layers with inner layers of various densities of foam, so that you sink in a bit, but then have a firmer level of support to prevent you sinking in too far, if you know what I mean.  It's made a huge difference to me, and I highly recommend these "foam-mix" mattresses.  They're not cheap - my queen-size mattress and base listed for about $1,800 - but you can dicker on price, and I've never regretted spending the money on mine.

Hope this helps.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

...has left the building.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »
I really like the pillowtop spring mattress myself; I believe Select Comfort makes a good one. The foam just doesn't feel right to me, I need more support than that.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 08:38:46 AM »
Go to a GOOD furniture store where they will let you try out their mattresses.  Be prepared for some sticker-shock, but try out the best brands.  We got rid of our water bed a few years ago and bought a top of the line mattress and box spring (don't remember the brand).  Makes a big difference in getting a good noght's sleep.

We bought ours at Benfatti Furniture on the north side of Pueblo.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 02:09:32 PM »
Yoga.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Justin

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »
For those of you who use the foam mattresses, I've heard that in the summer months they can get kind of uncomfortable, is that true?

As for yoga...um...

Are there babes?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 04:11:27 PM »
Stearns and Foster firm mattresses. They are pricey but are very comfortable and hold up a lot better and longer than cheaper brands.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 04:49:01 PM »
I sleep on a sleep number adjustable air mattress. It's not a magic bullet, but it helps a bit, plus it's extremely easy to move.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Preacherman

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »
Foam mattresses uncomfortable in summer?  Not if you have A/C, they're not.  I've used mine for over two years now, and never had any discomfort, winter or summer.  However, if you didn't have A/C, they might - I stress, MIGHT, as I don't know for sure - be a bit warm, as you sink into them a bit further than other types of mattress.  Even so, I reckon with a light covering, you wouldn't have a major problem.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 06:41:58 PM »
I bought a 'memory foam' style mattress set this summer for about 1k and it is extremely comfortable. I live in Texas, and haven't noted it to be any worse than other types of matresses, but I crank up the ac Smiley

That said, I had a huge problem with back pain (and foot pain) when I was substantially overweight that went away when I lost a bunch of weight. I had a more moderate back pain problem when I had a mostly desk job that went away when I got  a job that involves very little sitting. I currently have a small back pain problem relating to spending too much time in bed (because of some mental problems).

Those three things are factors to consider regarding your back. Your back isn't designed for you to be very overweight, to sit all the time, or to spend more than eight hours a day in bed.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 06:57:31 PM »
My Tempur-Pedic uncomfortable in the summer? Nope.

Yes, your body 'molds' into the surface of it...sort of...by body warmth. That's why you don't use a mattress pad.

I even sleep on flannel sheets year-round, most of the time.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Justin

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 08:52:44 PM »
No AC here in the mountains, but then the summer heat only gets uncomfortable for maybe a month or two.

Most of my back pain tends to be upper back/neck related, if that makes a difference.

Yesterday I flipped and rotated the one I've got, hopefully that should help for a bit.  I'm not quite ready to drop four figures on a mattress...

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 09:12:19 PM »
The wife and I dropped $400 on a no-name foam mattress, and we've never slept better.
D. R. ZINN

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 10:38:13 PM »
I use a memory foam with a hard futon-core mattress, and I sleep great.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 08:11:03 AM »
my back has been doing better since i got something like http://www.back2.co.uk/products/sleeping/Beds/adjust-a-firm_bed.html , though mine was simpler, and cost $200 at walmart. adjustable air mattress with layer of 'memory foam' on top. REALLY firm, except for the line down the center where the two halves of the air mattress meet.

As for yoga...um...

Are there babes?
asking if there are babes at yoga is like asking if there are fat guys at the range.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »
Are you overweight?  Do you sleep on your stomach? Do you "toss and turn" and get up to go to the bathroom frequently?

I was all of the above and a new mattress didn't help squat.  What helped was when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and "hosed."  Now I have to sleep on my back or side and the back problems and getting up all night have ceased.  Still have a lot of weight to lose though.

Greg

Justin

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 02:13:42 PM »
Are you overweight?
Nope.

Do you sleep on your stomach?
Side, usually.

Do you "toss and turn" and get up to go to the bathroom frequently?
I'm a raving insomniac, but don't have to go the bathroom.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »
I'm in the "try before you buy" camp.

BeautyRest extra firm  seems to work best for me.
Quality Box Springs , do not forget these,

Old Matressess and Box Springs:

If you are going to use these as gym mats, do land atop these.
Not only did I find the hardwood floor when a 4'12"  petite, 25 yr younger lady put me down ( I was in the role of attacker, she used a cane on me).

Later on while outside...
I was running and gunning and when time came to "plop"...I hit the target...just did so from the grass.
Yes I missed a Queen sized mattress, I was in a hurry ...
Muzzle safe...I may be older, still know how to "fall pretty"  (her laughing words).

25 y/o 4'12" ladies do not hide snickers very well...they actually just break down  and belly laugh.

Ouch,

Steve