Author Topic: Article regarding flight restrictions around DC  (Read 766 times)

bermbuster

• friend
Article regarding flight restrictions around DC
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/01/AR2005110101291.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

I would be interested in hearing comments regarding the statements in this article.  I am not baiting here or trolling.  I am honestly interested in what informed, intelligent, adult, nonpilots see in the article.

Thank you.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 05:08:38 PM »
The federal government's response to Islamic terrorist savagry has been to make the federal government safer, as well as much larger and better paid.

The airspace restrictions have been fortified since first being applied temporarily after Sept. 11. Now the government proposes to make them permanent, despite objections from every group with firsthand experience: air traffic controllers, pilots, airport owners and even, discreetly, officials of the Federal Aviation Administration. (The deadline for public comments on the plan is today.)
One part of the new airspace proposals has drawn little controversy: the "freeze," or Flight Restricted Zone, which is a circular area 34 miles across centered on Reagan National Airport in which private aviation is prohibited.
The trouble with passing prohibitions is that criminals ignore laws.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »
The only thing they seem to have left out is "it's for the children".

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:31:04 PM »
well, I used to be a pilot years ago. The "temporary Flight Restictions" (tfr's) are , apparenttly , not so temporary.The fed's have seen fit to enact them all over the place, with no apparent benefit to anyone. I suppose I couls rejoin the Aircraft owners and pilots assn, but I don't have the heart. Flying used to be fun. Now the regulation's are to the point you better be a lawyer first, pilot second.  And a wealthy lawyer at that- airplanes, (I mean simple little airplanes), are one of the VERY few items to cost significantly more now, compared to ,say, 1955.  In todays dollars, that Cessna 140 cost about 40-K in 1955. A comparable 152 today is around 125K.  And this is not like comparing the bare bones house our parents bought after the war of 1000 square feet to todays 2500 square foot house with all the amenity's. This is an apple to apple comparison.