Author Topic: Another Ford truck thread...  (Read 2176 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Another Ford truck thread...
« on: January 02, 2006, 06:42:04 PM »
Inspired by grislyatoms's thread on older Fords, this is my thread on newish Fords.

In May 2004, I bought a 2002 F-150 XL extra cab, 4.2L six banger, five speed manual trans.  Crank windows, no power mirrors, no power door locks, no carpet.  Very basic, with the exception of A/C and a tape deck.  I bought it with 15,299 miles on the clock, and I'm about to round 64,000 miles.  Yes, I drive a lot.  From the day I bought it, May 10, 2004, until May 2, 2005, my daily commute was at least 104 miles, sometimes as much as 160.  
So far, it's been a great truck.  I've been through one set of tires, and one set of front breaks.  I lost the passenger side mirror to a tree while offroading...that's a whole thread on its own...anyway...
It's been driven hard on the highway, driven hard offroad, and driven on several long distance trips (300+ miles) without a problem.  Once I had it so loaded with bricks and concrete mix, I was half-worried the rear leaf springs would never bend back to normal Smiley

So, on to the point.  Now that it's getting to be middle aged, for a Ford at least, what are the things I should be watching for?  I'm sure many of you have late model F-150s, so what has been your experience?  I need to make it last, because I've still got a few years on the loan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
I have the same truck, except mine is a standard cab. Mine has run fine, except for last month when the "check engine" light came on. I hooked up a code reader to it, and though I can't remember the error  code now, it ended up being the DPFE sensor. That particular item is on a TSB and they fixed it for free (basically just replaced the sensor).

I think if you do an internet search for "DPFE sensor" the error code should show up on one of the links (I did just the opposite to find out what the code was and also found out about the TSB). This is pretty much a "when it happens" vs "if it happens" from what I've been told. Since it's a TSB, not a recall, make sure you bring a copy of the TSB in with you, otherwise they might try and charge you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »
Middle aged?  Are you serious  Smiley

I have a 95 full size Bronco that just turned 101,000 miles on it and its still going.  Front end is getting a little loose due to all of the rough places I have taken it.  I'm gonna rebuild the front end as well as the motor this summer for the heck of it.  New tie rods, bearings and such on the steering and a better cam with more low end torque for fun in the desert.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:24:16 AM »
I assume you're doing normal routine maintainence, which on modern vehicles is pretty much just regular oil and filter changes, air filters when dirty, and chassis lube if applicable. Since you have a manual trans that's pretty much life-lubricated.

If you're feeling pro-active, change out maintainence parts before they fail and leave you stranded. Check hoses and belts, replace if worn. Consider replacing idler pulley(s) when replacing belt.  Replace fuel filter, this will help avoid a fuel pump failure at 100-150k miles if replaced every 50k. Replace spark plugs and ignition wires even if equipped with "100k" platinum plugs. If you're still on the original battery, start thinking about replacment, though in CA without cold winters you might have a couple years left in it. Flush and replace engine coolant, even if equipped with high-mileage coolant. Don't know about fords, but GM's Dex-cool lives up to its 150k lifetime about half the time. Of course in all of this, use only high quality parts.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:43:38 AM »
Change the lower intake to cylinder head gaskets.

On the 4.2, Ford designed the head with two intake ports per cylinder, referred to as the Split Port. This placed one port very close to the coolant passage between the heads and the lower intake, at cyls 1 and 4. Over time the gasket deteriorates and will eventually allow coolant to get to the intake port with results ranging from mildly hard starting to catastrophic rod failure and a hole in the side of the block (cylinder full of coolant=not compressible=bent/broken rod). I've seen quite a few between 40K and 80K with the problem. Oh, and the last one I looked at, the extended warranty didn't cover completely because the tech just said the gaskets were bad. The warranty co. bought the gaskets and the tech turned the truck back. What the tech didn't catch was the knock from the slightly bent rod until the customer brought it back the next day. At this point the evidence of the failed gasket had been erased, so the warranty co. operated on the assumption that the engine had ingested water (as evidenced by the bent rod) during the time the customer had the vehicle away from the shop.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:10:18 AM »
All the steel hydraulic lines likr for the brakes and the power steering will eventually rot through and naturally fail at the worst possible moment so doing a preventative changeout on those is not a bad idea.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:35:27 AM »
Gosh, I hope 64K miles is not considered "middle aged"

To me that would be almost brand new!

Our 91 GMC Suburban has over 200K miles and still going strong Smiley

We have a local independent shop do all our oil changes, etc now (not a quickie lube).  They watch out for things that might need replacement, like fuel filters, u-joints, etc.  The extra $15 bucks is worth it compared to having to crawl around underneath it in the dirt, not to mention getting rid of the old oil.  But this is a small town family owned business that has a long and good reputation to protect.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 10:25:54 AM »
I got a 95 F-150XLT with ~ 92,000 on it, I did just put the above mentioned brake lines etc on mine, I think I've done brakes twice. I'll admit to quickie lubing it but it gets it every 3,000 miles. It's got the 5.0L and the E!! OH NO!! (E/O) 4 speed auto but it also has the towing package which includes extra cooling for the tranny and it hasn't broke yet. (crosses fingers). My brother is a line mechanic for Ford and we've been batting the idea around of dropping a 5.6L in it but the 5.0 is still going strong. Not a lot of pulling power I'm afraid.

Does the 2002 6 banger have individual modules for firing the plugs? if so I've had 3 of those go on my 2001 E-250 already. It's only got 64,000 on it too. They are like $140 for the module and $20 for the plug. I'm getting pretty ticked about it. This has the 5.6L and it has plenty of power. Good motor IMHO. E/O tranny as well, no problems yet (crosses fingers again).

Then there's my 1990 E-150 also with the 5.0L but I kinda pulled it and had a cam and compression and a 3" exhaust system put in it and now it'll climb a wall. Did the tranny at the same time. The motor and tranny only have about 20,000 on them. It's my "project truck" . Last year I added heavier coil springs in the front and a couple leaves in the back. Minor drawback however. Gotta burn premium and it gets about 10 mpg on a good day. I haul my pipe threading equipment in it so it's heavy. That's why I built it the way I did. Oh, had to change the brakelines on it too.

Cheesy

anyhow that's all I can think of right now.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 12:51:26 PM »
280plus, what type of cam did you go with?  Fuel injected?  How about passing emissions.  Had the 95 bronco not had to go thru emissions I would pull the 302 and put in a 351 Cleveland that is naturally aspirated.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »
Lenny, While I don't know the exact grind it is refered to as a "towing cam".  Provides higher torque at lower rpms which is what the 302 needs desperately. It IS fuel injected and It's gone through CT emmisions with flying colors. The thing runs like a bear! You KNOW I like to open it up once in a while...

When I first started running it it was winter and it would push the front wheels across ice in idle with the brakes on. The motor just has tons of torque. At first I had to take it out of gear to stop if it was icy.

Cheesy

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 04:51:02 PM »
Bitchin.  Thats what I'm wanting for my Bronco.  I do alot of off roading here.  

Dasmi, sorry to sidetrack from your original post. Wink

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
No problem at all.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 07:23:44 PM »
One thing I did get from the thread is that I might need to take a peak underneath and check the brake hoses.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 02:24:44 AM »
I'm telling you Lenny, think about one of those 5.6L motors. A little tweak here a little tweak there and yuo'll have a real runner. My brother says it can be done. I would DEFINITELY stay away from this "single coil for each plug" ignition system though. I believe 2000 or 2001 was the first year for that. Not sure though.

I knew a guy once who had a 400 in a Bronco. He'd put it in 4L, punch it and all four wheels would jump off the ground. Then of course, my brother put a 460 Lincoln motor in his. 48" tires. What a truck. Then he took it apart completely down to the rails because he wanted to sand blast and paint them. Then he sold it as a basket case 3 years later...  rolleyes

I too apologize for being a hijacker. I just love Ford trucks I guess. I'm not sure why.

I'm a lifetime Red Sox fan too. Scary, I know.

Cheesy

Oh, just so you know. I took my E-150 motor to a good local rebuilder and told him what I wanted. His only staement was, "You'll have to burn premium in it." Which is all I ever burn anyways so it didn't matter to me. I was hoping to get a little better than 10 mpg though.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 06:31:17 AM »
I'd really like to put the 425 hp 351 Cleveland that I'm building for the 70 Cougar into the bronco but it would never pass emissions.  

I might look around for another block.  Maybe a Winsor block so I can use the same injection manifold and such.  Friggin computer controlled crap limits you in some areas.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 06:33:07 AM »
Ahh, the 400M. Had one in a '79 Lincoln, with the big 2bbl rejetted and the towing cam. Factory specs on those motors were something like 160hp at 2800rpm and ~400lb-ft of torque at some ungodly low number like 1700rpm.

All I knew was it'd float down the highway on it's 2.47:1 rear axle ratio and spin the tires willingly in first gear so fast they didn't squeal, just whirred. Took fuel in BIG honkin' gulps though Smiley

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 07:05:19 AM »
Ahh, the 400M. Had one in a '79 Lincoln,
I had one in a uh, '71 I think, Galaxie 500 2 door. I loved that car. Ex got it and turned it into a POS. shocked

Did 110 no problem, it was like the car was SUPPOSED to be doing 110...

Cheesy

I Wanted to get one and put some 351 4V heads on it but it turned out all the angles for the heads and the manifolds were different.

Speaking of emissions, I got 3 due and that's what I'm supposed to be doing today. Wink

Oh and to correct myself. I took my motor to the builder and told him what I wanted it for :climbing hills with lots of tools. Same with the tranny. And I put an extra tranny cooler on it too.