Author Topic: Cordless drill help:  (Read 1963 times)

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Cordless drill help:
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »
My Black and Decker cordless drill grew legs and walked off.  No big loss - it was lousy, and the chuck had already started to wobble, despite less than two years of sporadic use.  (I mean it, it still LOOKED new - but was worn out).  My choices, in what I could afford were:
King 12volt, dual batteries - $19 at atwoods - passed - looked like cheap imported stuff - who knows?
Buffalo 13.4 with accessories, $38, Atwoods - passed, same reason.
B&D "Firestorm" 12v $38 Loewes - passed - already spent too much on the first B&D, and the snop-on,snap-off chuck-to-driver socket looked like an invitation that trouble couldn't resist
Skil 12v $39.00  Loewes passed.

Ryobi 12v, with some accessories, spare battery, stud finder - $49 on sale - I went with the ryobi.

Is it possible to get a decent cordless drill for less than $150, or will this one be shot in a year, too?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

onions!

Cordless drill help:
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:35:10 AM »
Ryobi is good stuff.

Some of our mechanics use Harbor Freight $19.99 14v drills w/the intention of replacing them often.Suprisingly,thay seem to last at least a year before dying.

mtnbkr

• friend
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:38:29 AM »
I've yet to be impressed with any cordless offerings (though, I haven't tried the contractor grade drills).  Nowadays, I use my cordless for driving screws or light duty work around the inside of the house.  I bring out the corded drill for anything involving metal or more than an inch or two of depth.  

My dad still has and uses what has to be a 30yo B&D corded drill.  Between the two of us, we've used up 4 cordless drills in the past 10years.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
I have a Skil 18 volt (IIRC it's 18 volt) cordless drill that my Father gave to me.

No, it's not got the power of even a cheap corded drill, but what it does have is flexibility, maneuverability, reach, and independence.

Those can be very important considerations when you're working far from a power source, or working in a location (scaffold or ladder) where a cord can be a significant hazard.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:58:53 AM »
I personally like my Ryobi, in 18V.

Had it for about a year with no issues, and I beat the crap out of it......
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 10:17:56 AM »
Was not impressed with anything cordless until I used a friend's Porter Cable. Wow, what a difference good equipment makes! He does HVAC for a living and the drill gets the crap beat out of it all the time, so it must be pretty rugged.

I would imagine that any of the Makita or Milwaukee offerings would also be good. I also hear that the Craftsman branded units at Sears are a decent buy for home use.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

Cordless drill help:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:25:01 AM »
My Dewalt stuff (18v)gets used and abused heavily.  The  sawzall had to be repaired after wearing out the drive mechanism.  Eventually I wore out the 1/2 inch hammer drill also.

I replaced the drill with a newer model and it seems even tougher than the old one.  

These tools were used a lot, I would reccomend them to anyone without hesitation.

For a casual user they would probably last a lifetime.

mtnbkr

• friend
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Was not impressed with anything cordless until I used a friend's Porter Cable. Wow, what a difference good equipment makes! He does HVAC for a living and the drill gets the crap beat out of it all the time, so it must be pretty rugged.

I would imagine that any of the Makita or Milwaukee offerings would also be good. I also hear that the Craftsman branded units at Sears are a decent buy for home use.

Brad
You know, I completely forgot about the Milwaukee cordless drill (18v I think) a suitemate had in college.  His bro was an HVAC engineer, so he (lil bro) had access to a lot of cool tools.  This drill was massive though.  It wouldn't fit in places my equally strong, but corded B&D drill would fit.  However, it was cordless and would be useful in an absence of AC power.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 10:52:06 AM »
I''ve only ever had Milwaukee 12V so far, they are reasonably sized and I've seen one of mine bounce off the concrete 20" below and keep on tickin'. It was a little tweaked, don't get me wrong, but it kept on going for quite a few years afterward. Never cared for the 18V cause they ARE bigger and heavier. I gotta lug mine up to the roof on occasion, so I like 'em light.

Smiley

I hope this thread doesn't lead us into the virtues of 12v vs 18v drills... Tongue

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
I hope this thread doesn't lead us into the virtues of 12v vs 18v drills...
oh, no....

RUN, FOREST!!! RUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!

Tongue

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 12:44:26 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
I hope this thread doesn't lead us into the virtues of 12v vs 18v drills... Tongue

Cheesy
Use enough gu.....uh, I mean drill motor........ cheesy

.38 (12v) v/s .50 (18v)
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Cordless drill help:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 02:24:38 PM »
I've got a Craftsman that I've had for about 5 years..I probably use it a dozen times a year. It's been fine. If I were using it on a more frequent basis, I'd probably get a Dewalt. But if I were using it much more often, I'd get a corded one.

In other power tool news, I am seriously coveting my friends compound saw.

zahc

• friend
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »
My father has a Makita 14.4v. Fantastic drill. Has built 1 house and 2 pole buildings. He would use it to drill 3/4 inch holes through every stud in the house while wiring and to drive every screw in the deck. I told him he should use a corded drill and he'd say 'I bought it to use it'.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 03:11:16 PM »
As long as you're not wasting time on charging batteries or running out of juice or not being able to find a charged battery to start with, I have no problems with battery vs corded for doing a big job. I see too much time wasted like that when, in the end, it would have been faster to just run a cord. It's a pet peeve of mine, sorry... shocked

Wink

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 05:17:13 AM »
As to the corded drill issue, the Ryobi arrived with two battery packs, both discharged.  I was running out of daylight, and the batteries kept dyin', so I ran to Big Lots and bought a generic 3/8ths variable speed reversible drill for $14 - obviously a Pacific Rim knock-off (complete with "Engrish" manual) of an old Black & Decker - but has a massive chuck and worked fine to get the job done - (involved drilling through 1/4 steel plate - the joys of mailbox reinstallation!)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

zahc

• friend
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 08:56:34 AM »
This poor college student noticed that my neighbors had thrown away a Ryobi cordless. I salvaged it from the trash to find the batteries were junk. Being in constand need of a drill while working on my truck, I appropriated the cord I'm supposed to use to light up my pizza delivery sign. I now have a 12v corded drill, which I use constantly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
Cordless drill help:
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 09:57:31 AM »
I now have a 12v corded drill, which I use constantly.
Geez that's smart!

Cheesy