Author Topic: Good photography forum(s)?  (Read 1308 times)

Good photography forum(s)?
« on: January 03, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »
I want to get into serious photography. What are some good forums that are both friendly to beginners and able to help develope advanced skills?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »
I like Photo.net and apug.org (latter is film only).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
There is also phototakers.com and thephotoforum.com

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:44:52 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 02:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Jason M.
I want to get into serious photography. What are some good forums that are both friendly to beginners and able to help develope advanced skills?
I also suggest taking a course or two at your local community college if they offer anything.  Nothing quite like a lot of hands-on instruction.  Now, if we can just get for-credit shooting instruction classes going at community colleges, we'll be all set.

Greg

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 04:36:56 PM »
I am a semi-amateur digital photographer, and recently upgraded to a Canon 20D late last year.  Some of my favorite useful sites include:

http://www.shutterbug.com/
http://www.shuttertalk.com/
http://www.photozone.de/active/news/index.jsp
http://www.fredmiranda.com/
http://www.popphoto.com/
http://photography-on-the.net/

But if you think that shooting as a hobby sucks the money out of your wallet, get ready for serious photography!  You start to read some of the magazines, and the ads for the $ 700 carbon fiber tripods, that save all of four ounces weight off of the $ 300 tripods, start to look seductive after a while.  And, yes, I do need a new wide-angle lens that costs all of $ 800!

I have taken some of the community college photography classes, and a very wise instructor once said something that really resonated with me:  Some of the great landscape photographers of the 19th and early 20th centuries took their masterpiece photographs using cameras, lenses and film that are now exceeded in technical quality by a $ 10 disposable camera at Walgreen's.  In other words, it is not the equipment, it is the photographer.  I constantly remind myself of this, having come to grips with the fact that I will never be the next Ansel Adams.  Maybe the waterboy to Ansel Adams' understudy, six times removed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:25:24 PM »
Jason, do you have a particular type of photography you want to focus on? In addition to the ones listed there are several that are genre specific.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 09:01:53 AM »
Some good rule-of-thumb things for photography.

- Too many people buy the best camera they can afford, then put cheap glass on it. Do the opposite, buy the best lenses you can afford, then hang a decent body off the back. Expect to pay at least $400-600 (or more) for a decent all-purpose lens, and at least double that for a pro-quality setup. My Canon 24-70 f/2.8L goes new for over $1300 (e-bay is your friend). I know it's a horrendous amount of money to spend on glass, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. And if you're serious, well.. it takes good equipment to get the best pics.

- Practice. A lot. Then practice some more. Digital is great for studying the different aspects of photography because you get instant feedback. You can take all the pics you want virtually for free so make good use of your time.

- Don't be afraid to take a lot of pics. I may shoot several dozen pics and only end up with a few that I like. Again, digital is your friend in this respect.

- Decide what your primary output format will be. If you are only going to print the occasional 5x7 or 8x10 you can get buy with a 5-6 megapixel body. For up to 11x14 you need at least 6. For poster sized prints you are getting into the 8-10 Mp range (not to mention many more dollars).

- There are some really good point and shoot bodies. Don't be afraid to explore them for all-around shooting. But for the ultimate in versatility you will want to go dSLR and start collecting lenses. A good midrange zoom with some macro capability should be first, as this usually ends up being your most useful lens anyway. After that, an extended zoom for sports, wildlife, etc. Then the sky's the limit.

Hope this helps!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »
Too many people buy the best camera they can afford, then put cheap glass on it. Do the opposite, buy the best lenses you can afford, then hang a decent body off the back.
+1 million on this!!

It doesn't matter if you're holding a Nikon D2X in your hands if it has some cheap knock off lens stuck to the front of it.