Author Topic: A situation similar to the water saving toilets.  (Read 1988 times)

zahc

• friend
A situation similar to the water saving toilets.
« on: January 03, 2006, 04:12:19 PM »
It occurred to me today, when a neighbor was moving in, that, even thought their econo-box probably gets much better mileage than my fuel guzzling blazer, they were makin dozens of trips with the thing. Whereas I my blazer could have cut the amount of trips at least in half, saving fuel, effort, and time. It's important to consider not only miles per gallon, but work done per gallon.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:23:14 PM »
Been there, tried that, got nowhere.
Had a Suburban.   10 mpg on a really good day.
What I had in mind was I could use it to commute to work and wifey could drive the very handy little tin toy to the shopping center once a week.
Unfortunately, she saw the monthly credit card and she could read.

Guy could have rented a truck for $30 plus gas for the day, and continued to use his economy-mobile for commuting to work the rest of his life.  THAT would have been considering work done per gallon.

Meantime, you and your blazer are doing what -----  every day/all day?

Nice try, though.
Fud
Change is Bad!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:34:52 PM »
That's how farm tractor economy is measured; hp/hour per gallon.

Doesn't work with automobiles or pickups though, as they aren't usually used at their maximum.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
I agree with Fud,

That's the very model I use.  I drive a small, fuel efficient car to work and places, and when I need a truck or van, I rent one (rare).  The savings involved are substantial:

12k car instead of 30k car: 18k saved over lifespan of vehicle
30 mpg vs. 15 mpg: ~1 gallon/$2.50 saved per trip to work.  $12.50 a week, $625 a year.

Even if I had to spend a couple hundred to rent a heavier vehicle a couple times a year, I'm saving substantial amounts of money.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 05:01:20 PM »
Ocassionally hauling me, my friends, my bikes around.

But usually sitting on the street. I have a Toyota I drive around.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 05:05:52 PM »
My truck is not only for occasional hauling, it's also my leave-it-at-the-park-and-ride beater. No way would I leave my nice wheels in an unattended parking lot all day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »
The only reason I'm driving a Subaru Outback right now, at 22 city / 27 highway, is because I have two 60 lb dogs to haul around.

If I hadn't had them at the time I bought,  I would be driving something small and getting 30/36.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 07:07:58 PM »
I drive my motorcycle around at 45mpg or better.  If I need more transport, I throw it in my garage, which is the ramp door and back 9 feet of my motorhome.  And then i drive all 36ft of my house down the road Smiley.

(Yeah, seriously.)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »
Reality really sucks. I had planned on buying myself either a Chrysler 300C Hemi or Dodge Magnum as a retirement present to myself next month.  With gas prices still well above the $2.00 mark, I've decided to keep my 2001 Chevy S-10, because it's paid for, and the 5-speed w/2.4 liter engine give me 28mpg highway. My 3 dogs love to ride in back, and I can haul just about everything that needs hauling in my life. That's money saved I can use on guns, reloading supplies, or something better than Wendy's every now and then.  Wink

Contrast that with #2 stepson's '97 Suburban 1500, 5.7 liter automatic 4x4 beast.  He was borrowing over $100 per fill-up during the recent gas price spikes from Mom and StepDad.  Ouch.  StepDad was really growly about him getting a job, or selling the Suburban and finding a smaller mid-sized pickup.  He found a job.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

matis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
Quote from: JimMarch
And then i drive all 36ft of my house down the road Smiley.
I honestly can't figure out exactly why -- but that just cracked me up laughing!

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 06:21:04 AM »
I drive a Geo Metro to work, 17 miles one way and use my pickup for hunting, camping, fishing, etc.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 06:55:05 AM »
I drive an Altima to/from work and around town.  My wife drives the 4Runner (SUV) around town.  The 4Runner is also our "trip" vehicle.  The 4Runner also doubles as my hunting/camping vehicle (I sleep in the back).  We've certainly used it to it's capabilities multiple times a year since we bought it 3 years ago.  

Chris