Author Topic: ARRGGHHHH!!! I hate computers. (RANT)  (Read 2064 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
ARRGGHHHH!!! I hate computers. (RANT)
« on: January 03, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »
K, I have a PC set up at home as a media/gaming machine.  Over the weekend, I'd had enough of Call of Duty2 for awhile and wanted to watch a DVD.  Exit the game, load the DVD and cancel out of the unwanted software install.  No DVD.  Mash the button on the remote, nothing.  WTF?  Examine system.  Looks like the ATI Remote Wonder II that came with the graphics card has died.  Again.  2nd time in less than 18 months, and now its out of warranty.  : banghead :  Now I get to play games with ATI's "Support".  And searching the 'Net shows that I'm not the only one with like issues and the frelling X10 receiver that ships with the freaking thing.  *SIGH*

Come to work (computers again).  Find that for some reason there is a failed "Shutdown/Restart" on one of our database servers.  Wait, this box is not supposed to be shutdown or restarted w/o advance prep/planning and none of that has occured.  WTF? Query the likely user (my boss), Nope did not try to shutdown. Examine the box, and find that one of the Terminal Services session is listed as "Down" and cannot be reset due to one running process.  And the process is a frelling ZOMBIE that can not be killed.  Not in Task Manager, not with Process Explorer, not even a brute force "kill -9 process ID number" command from a *NIX like shell we use.

ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Anybody need help running a microbial fermentation and/or protein purification process?  /RANT
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 07:08:08 PM »
To err is human.  To really screw up, you need a computer.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:31:21 PM »
Sounds like a job for fuser -cux .

If it's a Winderz box, reboot the dang thing and hope for the best.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:35:59 PM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
If it's a Winderz box, reboot the dang thing and hope for the best.
+1

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 02:42:34 AM »
Then there's I CAN"T EVEN GET CoD TO PLAY ON EITHER OF MY MACHINES!!

and I got it for Christmas too... sniff sniff...

Sad

starngely enough it has to do with the video cards and I think they're both ATI.

+1 on computers suck!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:43:20 AM »
I am still waiting for the Linux crowd to start jumping in.  BTW, Linux sucks.

Greg

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:13:41 AM »
I am still waiting for the Linux crowd to start jumping in.  BTW, Linux sucks.
Depends entirely on what you're trying to do what you're willing to do and put up with to get it done.

Linux is inappropriate for some users and applications, this much is true.  "Linux sucks." however, is an ignorant statement.

For a gaming sytem?  I'd probably go for Windows for compatibility reasons.
For a graphical workstation?  Windows, Linux and MacOS are all second-tier.
For a database or web server?  Linux/Unix can be more stable, more configurable and less of a resource hog than a Windows server.
For an integrated office network environment?  Linux can do it, but Windows makes it easier.
For a secure environment?  Linux by far.
For a non-computer savvy user?  Windows and MacOS provide more idiot protection.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »
280Plus: What ATI cards are you running?  I've run CoD on my laptop (ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility) and CoD2 on my media box (AiW 9600XT) with out issues.  If you think the problem is driver related, Omega Drivers (http://www.omegadrivers.net/) solved a lockup issue I had with the laptop and another game.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:06:09 AM »
I expect my computer to work effortlessly like any other appliance.  I expect it to maintain and update its software, back itself up on an external harddrive, and do all this without giving cryptic messages.  I don't want to take several college level courses just to use it.  You don't have to be an automotive engineer to drive a car, why should a computer be any different?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
I expect my computer to work effortlessly like any other appliance
None of your appliances have the power and flexibility of a computer.  At least mine don't.  I don't recall my toaster being able to wash dishes, mix cake batter, keep foods cold or frozen, and wash my clothes.  That's the sort of flexibility all personal computers have (at least in theory).

I don't want to take several college level courses just to use it.  You don't have to be an automotive engineer to drive a car, why should a computer be any different?
You were born before computers were commonplace, unlike cars.  You grew up watching people drive, watching them maintain their vehicles, etc.  My kids will view computers just like a car or even a toaster.

BTW, if you had to lay hands on your car like you do with a computer, you'd need several college level courses to be successful (or at least a lot of hands on experience).  People who have neither are just as stymied by their cars as they are by their computers.  Afterall, what we're talking about here is repair and maintenance, not day to day operation.

FWIW, well maintained computers need little day to day maintenance, just like modern cars.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 09:23:05 AM »
"None of your appliances have the power and flexibility of a computer."

How quickly the luster falls off the new stove... Smiley

It's probably sitting the kitchen just sobbing, knowing that you don't love it anymore...

It would probably stick its head in the oven if it wasn't, well, you know, the oven...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:28:51 AM »
How quickly the luster falls off the new stove...
The love will be rekindled as soon as I can do a load of laundry in it while watching Lost. Smiley

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »
280Plus: What ATI cards are you running?
I wish I knew how to find out short of opening up the boxes and seeing. I've looked all over for the info in the system somewhere but can't find it. Anybody got a hint?

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
You were born before computers were commonplace, unlike cars.  You grew up watching people drive, watching them maintain their vehicles, etc.
Point taken.  Fuel injection and electronic ignition beat the hell outta carburetors and points, too. Smiley

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »
I've looked all over for the info in the system somewhere but can't find it. Anybody got a hint?
Look under Device Manager.  Select My Computer, bring up the Properties dialog.  On the Hardware Tab, press the Device Manager, then expand the Display Adaptor tree.  That should tell you what hardware the system sees.

Also, from the 'Run' command or a command prompt, enter "dxdiag" and select the "Display" tab.  This will give you more data in what display adaptor your running.  CoD2 requires DirectX9.0c, which is included on the distribution disks if its not already installed.