Author Topic: On the Investing kick: Books  (Read 954 times)

bratch

• friend
On the Investing kick: Books
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:36:02 AM »
What are the best investing/money management books you have read?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 05:43:40 AM »
Dianetics.  
Tongue
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 06:21:51 AM »
Graham, Intelligent Investor
Burton Malkiel, A Random Walk Down Wall St
Kiyosaki, Rich Dad Poor Dad
Millionaire Next Door

The last two not strictly investment books per se but excellent anyway.  Random Walk is good bt I dont agree with its premise.  Still, many people do so it is valuable insight into that view.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:34:02 AM »
The key is the miracle of compounding interest over time; big double digit returns over the short term are more of an anomaly than the norm.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 07:36:04 AM »
The key is the miracle of compounding interest over time; big double digit returns over the short term are more of an anomaly than the norm.
+1

As in the past I'd recommend one called "The Visual Investor" it doesn't preach any certain investing philosphy but gives a good rundown on reading and analyzing charts with various aids and using that information to identify trends or more importantly CHANGES in trends.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

...has left the building.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:07:04 PM »
The books the Rabbi recommends are great ones to get you started. I was following that type of strategy until I realized that there are people out there, some that I know personally, who have made 15%+ on their investments over a course of more than 30 years. So, I've modified my outlook somewhat to include different investment options  combined with the frugality Kiyosaki and his clones preach.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:05:39 PM »
A favorite of mine is "Winning the Loser's Game" by Charles Ellis.  Good books on the general theme of investing and getting rich are; "The Millionaire next door", "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", and "The Wealthy Barber".  Dolf De'Roos "Real Estate Riches" is a great book on becoming motivated with real estate.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »
Picked up "Rich Dad,Poor Dad", "Millionare Next Door" and "Idiots guiuide to Personal Finance in your 20s and 30s" today.  Started the Idiots book so far I like it.