Author Topic: Good drill bits....  (Read 1683 times)

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Good drill bits....
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »
Anybody know of any?  I go through Black & Decker "high speed steel" twist drill bits like Rosie O'Donnell goes through a box of Ho-Hos.  Just bought some Titanium ones, but haven't had a chance to use (break) them yet.  Any winners out there, or should I just buy 'em in bulk at Harbor Frieght?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good drill bits....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 01:18:58 PM »
Try Sears?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Good drill bits....
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »
I like the B&D Bullet bits for steel.  You can't use them to enlarge an existing hole though.

onions!

Good drill bits....
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:17:39 PM »
Cobalt.

Last year I had to drill(& tap) new stud mounting holes in the exhaust manifolds on my Chevy.The hardened steel studs had rusted away & broken off flush.I had to drill thru them to start over.I first drilled a pilot hole w/a 1/8th in. bit followed by a 21/64ths for the main hole.The HSS bits barely(if at all) scratched the metal.Titanium bits were good for one hole before dulling to uselessness.Using the cobalt bits was-& I kid you not-like drilling through soft pine.The fact that one cobalt bit drilled four pilot holes & the larger bit drill all six of the main holes sold me.

I don't remember exactly but I think that the 1/8 inchers were about $5.99 ea. & the 21/64ths were about eight bucks apiece.I bought mine from Lowes.I looked at both Home Depot & Menards but found nothing but Ti bits @ either.

HSS is good for wood or sheet metal.I'll only ever buy cobalt bits for anything else again.

zahc

• friend
Good drill bits....
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:48:27 PM »
One thing that amazes me is that so many people don't realize you can sharpen drill bits, or maybe they are just too uncoordinated. I can sharpen anything from 1/8 up on a bench grinder, and smaller ones with a dremel. I can even fix them when they break provided enough twisty is left.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TarpleyG

• friend
Good drill bits....
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »

caseydog

• friend
Good drill bits....
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »
If you have good bits that are just dull , look into a Drill Doctor , seriously this isn't some gimmick gadget in the
"as seen on tv aisle". I can sharpen a 29 bit set in less time than it would take to run to the hardware and buy more, and most cut better than factory new when done . Pricey tool , but woth it if you drill a lot.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Good drill bits....
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:54:38 AM »
I prefer TiN (Titanium Nitride) coated, like these here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1611

They last considerably longer than regular high speed steel bits, making them pretty economical.

Also, ++1 on the Drill Doctor.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Good drill bits....
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 06:12:36 AM »
I've had good luck with Dewalt.  Overkill is always good, a hardened bit will still drill wood, but a wood bit will suck in metal....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Good drill bits....
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 07:35:06 AM »
Fixing airplanes in the Navy I can guarantee you I get crappier drill bits than thou. A common one in our system is Huot, which is actually an okay drill bit. Everyone accuses them of being crap because they misuse them. HSS means they are made from tool steel, not for drilling steel. Works great on aluminum, brass, other non-ferrous, etc. Cobalt also refers to the material of the drill, still a high carbon steel, I don't know the alloy specs. Makes no difference to the user. Cobalt for steel or CRES(stainless). Ti nitride is as noted a surface treatment, rendered the surface .001-.002" harder than woodpecker lips(Similar, but not the same to Glock "tennifer"). Once you kill the surface coating, it is like any other drill bit. The big difference to the user between cobalt and HSS is not material, but the tip angle. Compare a HSS bit to a cobalt and you will see the cobalt has a flatter point with a back cut into the trailing edge of the cutting face. That is what makes it superior to an HSS bit on steel.

Now the best bit in the world can succumb to the misuser, as can a properly used dime store bit last a long time, it is correct drilling practice. If you are breaking lots of bits, you are applying too much pressure, let the drill do the work. A lot of bits get broken right at break through on the back side of the material when the drill bit hangs, the best thing to do is ease up on the speed and pressure when you feel break through coming. speaking of speeds and feeds, Whatever the drill bit will bear and high speed in aluminum and other soft metals. Make chips fly. Use lube. Ease up on thin materials so you don't break what you are "fixing". Steel, medium heavy feed, SLOW speed, oil! CRES, same deal. Stainless is the most unforgiving of metals for uneducated drillers, many of the common flavors work harden, so the instant that bit spins without pulling a chip excess heat is generated, the metal work hardens and in extreme cases of no trigger control you see the bit tip turn red. You are left with no hole and a very nice fluted, annealed, Q-tip.  Again with stainless, slow speed, use lube. Keep the work and bit cool. Many soft metals will turn a continuous curly chip. That is a pretty good indication of proper feed pressure.

On specific bits, if you use a lot get an industrial supply catalog and buy the right sizes in bulk. MSC Mach. Supply Corp. is a good one. I thought Bullet bits were a gimmick, but my dad and I have used one set for ten years, they are still going strong, we do plenty of drilling.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Good drill bits....
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 08:17:44 AM »
What should be used to cool/flush the hole as it is drilled?  Will W-40 and similar penetrating oils be OK, or is there a specific "cutting fluid"?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good drill bits....
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 08:28:46 AM »
Yup, "cutting oil"...These days they're making it smell pretty though. It's just not the same... Sad

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Good drill bits....
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 09:34:44 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
What should be used to cool/flush the hole as it is drilled?  Will W-40 and similar penetrating oils be OK, or is there a specific "cutting fluid"?
"Tap Magic" or mix 80/20% mineral spirits/motor oil.  CRC non-flammable brake cleaner for stainless
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR