Author Topic: Do you remember when the Onion was funny?  (Read 2856 times)

Pb

• friend
Do you remember when the Onion was funny?
« on: October 11, 2023, 10:20:25 AM »
I do, but it was a long, long time ago.

These two headlines are all they had to say about the Palestinian orgy of rape, murder, and baby decapitation.  No suprise, given what they have become.  I'm not giving these aholes a link.

;/
BREAKING NEWS
Netanyahu: ‘I Don’t Know About You, But The Timing Of This Tragic Attack On Israelis Could Not Have Come At A Better Time For Me’
JERUSALEM—Noting that he had been feeling pretty down lately and this was just the pick-me-up he needed, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told reporters Tuesday that he didn’t know about them, but the tragic attack that killed Israelis couldn’t…

BREAKING NEWS
‘New York Times’ Issues Apology For Reporting Palestinian Deaths

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Do you remember when the Onion was funny?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 11:25:00 AM »
Yep, it's been a long, long time since anything even remotely good came out of the Onion.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 12:24:09 PM »
The Google Opt Out village was the last thing I remember that really made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMChO0qNbkY

Looks like that was 2009.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 12:53:22 PM »
I remember Herbert Kornfeld, the Stone-Cold Hardcore Accounts Receivables Mack Daddy of Midstate Office Supply giving me a giggle in 1999, the first time I read about his day to day struggles managing temporary workers.
It's been going downhill ever since.
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »
I stop paying any attention to The Onion a long time ago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 05:33:58 PM »
The Onion used to be a bit like the Babylon Bee is today . . . the operative words are used to be.

It seems to have followed the same path as Saturday Night Live and the late-night talk shows in that humor was written out in favor of leftist politics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 06:02:02 PM »
The Onion used to be a bit like the Babylon Bee is today . . . the operative words are used to be.

It seems to have followed the same path as Saturday Night Live and the late-night talk shows in that humor was written out in favor of leftist politics.

Like SNL, they are still funny on occasion, almost by accident.  I take a look maybe once every week or two and sometimes find something amusing.  The brief they filed to the Supreme Court a few months ago was a masterpiece.  (afterwards, Babylon Bee wrote one too in a similar style but it was not as good, plus it was kind of a copy)
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 10:16:35 AM »
"All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing"

If you start to accommodate the left you stop being funny. Accommodating the left requires you to no longer notice or point out reality.

Frequently, comedy is noticing and pointing out things.

Cleverly pointing out incoherence with reality is funny.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.