Author Topic: Think unions are all "benevolent and stuff"? Think again...  (Read 9671 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
The options?  Pay union dues, pay a "service fee", or be fired  The really sad part?  Apparently it's state law... join up, pay up, or else.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/09/marine-refuses-pay-teacher-union-dues-faces-termination/

From Fox News...

Marine Says He Faces Termination for Refusing to Pay Teacher's Union Fee
By Joshua Rhett Miller

Published June 09, 2010
| FOXNews.com

Boston Herald

Ret. Maj. Stephen Godin says he could be fired from his ROTC teaching job for refusing to pay union dues.

A retired U.S. Marine who runs a Massachusetts high school's ROTC program says he faces termination if he doesn't pay a $500 union fee by next week, a levy he refuses to pay because he already receives medical and dental benefits from the military.

Maj. Stephen Godin, senior naval science instructor at the Naval Junior ROTC Unit at North High School in Worcester, Mass., told FoxNews.com he has been teaching for the Educational Association for Worcester for 15 years -- including 14 at North High School -- without having to join the union or pay an "agency fee" toward the cost of collective bargaining.

"I just want to save my job here," the 58-year-old father of two said. "I've been doing this for 15 years. Nobody has ever told me to join the union or be terminated."

Godin, who earns roughly $75,000 a year, said he has asked for arbitration no fewer than five times, but has not received a response from the teacher's union. He said he received a letter last month from Worcester Public School officials indicating he will be fired on June 15 if he fails to pay the agency fee.

"It's really nothing," Godin said of the amount. "It's the principal of the matter. I think they're trying to extort money from me. They do nothing for me."

Several messages seeking comment from officials at Education Association of Worcester and North High School, including Principal Matthew Morse, were not returned on Tuesday.

In a statement to FoxNews.com, Dr. Melinda Boone, superintendent of Worcester Public Schools, said she had not issued "any official position statement" to Godin or the union.

"I've asked our legal counsel to research my responsibility and obligations as superintendent in this matter," Boone said in a statement.

An official with the Massachusetts Teachers Association said state law requires public employees -- including teachers at public schools -- to join unions as a condition of employment or to pay an agency fee.

But Godin says he should be exempt from the law since he receives military benefits, including medical and dental insurance.

"So that's nothing to do with Worcester there," he said. "Neither the union nor the Worcester Public Schools have allowed me to make that argument. It's just the union that wants my money."

Godin, who retired from the Marines in 1994 after logging more than 2,000-plus hours flying F-4 Phantoms and five overseas deployments, said he has not hired an attorney.

"That would cost me money, too," he said.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:24:15 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Think unions are all "benevolent and stuff"? Think again...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
The options?  Pay union dues, pay a "service fee", or be fired  The really sad part?  Apparently it's state law... join up, pay up, or else.

Yup. 

Once upon a time, I was actually a member of SEIU.  That was the deal.  You join, or they take the money in fees anyway.  I can't say it ever did a whole lot of good for me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
I believe there's a little-known law on the books which allows union members to get a refund of that portion of their union dues which goes for political purposes other than collective bargaining or arbitration . . . it's my understanding that unions hate this law as the paperwork and detailied accounting efforts usually suck up more $$$ than they have to refund.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »
Once upon a time, I was actually a member of SEIU.  That was the deal.  You join, or they take the money in fees anyway.  I can't say it ever did a whole lot of good for me

When I worked in a factory in college, they would hire temporary summer help every year. Those hired as summer help had to pay the union for a 'work permit' which cost several hundred dollars per month- union dues were about $50/month iirc. 

:mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
in here they got 25% of your pay for the first 90 days then the regular dues thereafter
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:11:58 AM »
That just screwed up. The first terms that popped into my head were "protection scheme" and "legalized racketeering." Huh, if the situation was egregious enough I wonder if you could get a judge to strike down such state laws and go after the Union under RICO. Anyone with a bit more legal training that I care to chime in?

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »
The problem here isn't the union per se, it's the law.

IOW, the problem, as usual, is the government.
D. R. ZINN

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
The problem here isn't the union per se, it's the law.

IOW, the problem, as usual, is the government.
Yep. The Railway Labor Act gives unions lots of power.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »
the choice to be corrupt is not the laws fault   says a former shop steward
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »

But if the law is protecting those who choose to be corrupt?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »

NO, the law in non-right-to-work-States creates the corruption. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »
the corruption is not restricted to non right to work states.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »
Let's take the case in question here in this thread. Without government backing for the union, he could tell them to pound sand. He could refuse to pay and choose not to collect any of the union benefits. As it stands, though, he may be fired. Why? Government.

We're not talking about corruption, we're talking about power, and the unjust application of it. When government lends some of its power to unions, we have problems like this one.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
I refuse to believe that unions would hurt the working man like this. Only big corporations do that. [Sheople smiley]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »
Let's take the case in question here in this thread. Without government backing for the union, he could tell them to pound sand. He could refuse to pay and choose not to collect any of the union benefits. As it stands, though, he may be fired. Why? Government.

We're not talking about corruption, we're talking about power, and the unjust application of it. When government lends some of its power to unions, we have problems like this one.

i ran a union shop i va   after i left the union and was sent around to deunion shops . it was still the same song and dance. you could opt out on paying but they still set your pay rate and other benefts

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »
And what was it exactly, that allowed them to do that? Hint: It was a little more than "collective bargaining."
D. R. ZINN

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »
in virginia?  they did it because the company/client rolled over for em. its easy to deunion in va. the employees were too stupid to figure out that the union did not serve them. plus the union protected the inept and the drunk. so we ended up with 3 times the staff we needed and the drunk and inept never quit or got fired.  lots of good employees got frustrated and quit though

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
plus the union protected the inept and the drunk.
And how did they do that?
D. R. ZINN

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:40 AM »

'represented" them.
it was funny i was very active i the union before i jumped ship so i was problematic for them .
we had a girl fall out drunk  puking at 10 am.  she'd been there 20 some years and drunk most of it.  she got indignant quit when she was confronted.  you'd think good riddance right?  nope  she was brought back  the union rep got the client involved and the client rolled over.  white guilt at its best.   they were good at playing the race card.  interestingly enough the nonunion employees with the same time in service made more per hour  same benefits. when we closed accounts for the summer the union folks got a reduced partial pay.  they thought that was great.  it was less than they woulda gotten from unemployment . the look on their faces when i pointed that out was priceless.

mediocrity for all works best with a less bright crew

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 12:34:10 AM »
And what was the union's leverage in "representing" the useless workers?
D. R. ZINN

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 12:50:34 AM »
From 2001 to 2006, my wife worked in a unionized department at a large bank. Many of the workers in the department were W2 (welfare-to-work) who really didn't want to be there.

They would do things like do literally nothing. Or they would violate company rules by eating at their work stations, listening to music, showing up drunk or stoned...whatever. They did it because they couldn't be fired. The union saw to that.

In the five years my wife worked there, I can recall only one person being fired, and that's only because she called a Vietnamese woman an ethnically offensive name. It seems the only thing people could be fired for was violating political correctness.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 01:21:19 AM »
And what was the union's leverage in "representing" the useless workers?

in va?  very lil  they actually sold their members out

in dc with closed shops it was very different

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
Without specific government backing they have only the "collective bargaining" stick, which won't get them much. Higher wages, better benefits, maybe, within reason. Employers afraid to fire incompetent or lazy workers? Don't think so.

All of unions' excesses were made possible by government power.
D. R. ZINN

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:09 AM »
plus the union protected the inept and the drunk. so we ended up with 3 times the staff we needed and the drunk and inept never quit or got fired.

See, that's why Texas doesn't need unions; management makes sure we're either horribly over or understaffed, and that the drunks and borderline-mentally-functional have lifelong jobs.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »
Here's a pretty good example of Union/Government conspiracy and collusion.

February 11, 2010 06:40 AM UTC by John Stossel
Forced Unionization

Michelle Berry runs a day-care business out of her home in Flint, MI. She thought that she owned her own business, but Berry's been told she is now a government employee and union member. It's not voluntary. Suddenly, Berry and 40,000 other Michigan private day-care providers have learned that union dues are being taken out of the child-care subsidies the state sends them. The "union" is a creation of AFSCME, the government workers union, and the United Auto Workers.

This racket means big money to AFSCME, which runs the union, writes the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a free-market think tank.

Today the Department of Human Services siphons about $3.7 million in annual dues to the union….

The money should be going to home-based day-care providers — themselves not on the high end of the income scale. Ms. Berry now sees money once paid to her go to a union that does little for her…

Patrick Wright, a lawyer for the Macknac Center, says the union was forced on the women after a certification election conducted by mail in which only 6,000 day-care providers out of 40,000 voted. Wright told me his clients, like Berry, say they were "shocked" to learn they were suddenly in a union.

They want nothing to do with the union. One of my clients has said, “Look, this is my home, I’m both labor and management here.” They’ve wanted nothing to do with this union and don’t think that it has any purpose besides than to siphon money away from them.

Michigan isn't the only state funding unions this way.

Fourteen states have now enabled home-based day-care providers to be organized into public-employee unions, affecting about 233,000 people.

Mackinac sued Michigan on behalf of the day-care owners, but the case was dismissed. They have appealed. Neither Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, the Department of Human Services, nor the union would talk to me about this. Last month, Michigan Rep. Justin Amash proposed a law that would end "stealth" unionization of private entrepreneurs.

We’ll talk more about unions in tonight’s show on Fox Business at 8pm and 11pm ET.

Read more: http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/02/11/forced-unionization/#ixzz0qe66GSvp
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G