Author Topic: Activist judge issues activist ruling and overthrows CA prop 8  (Read 9675 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Activist judge issues activist ruling and overthrows CA prop 8
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »
Whoa, children....children...children.

This isn't about the right or wrong of gay marriage. 

Gay marriage supporters get Prop 8 on the ballot, thinking "well, we all know the voters will support us!"

Prop 8 dies.

It gets litigated, because, well those voters are too stupid to know what they are doing!

It gets overturned by a clearly biased and activist judge.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
My main concern in all this is that any ruling won't be made in such a way as to allow anyone/anything from getting married beyond just gay couples of adult age and consent.  

My other concern comes from a pastor I heard broach the subject several years ago who was concerned about someone using the 14th amendment to try to force him to marry gay couples.  And if you don't think that will happen, look at the case we saw here of the photographer who didn't want to photograph a gay wedding and was being sued.  IMO, the gay activists will push this and other issues just as far as they possibly can.  

Also, that pastor wasn't concerned about gay marriage itself.  He figured heterosexuals had long ago started disrespecting the institution of marriage and no law was going to protect it.  His only concern was what I mentioned above.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
Are you trying to say that in California, it was illegal for a preacher to marry a couple without a marriage license?  

There never was anything stopping gay couples from going through the ceremony.  The restriction was in issuing marriage licenses and govt recognition of the marriage, not the ceremony.  

Uhm  Yes, actually, it is.  California has numerous requirements for marriage.  Among them is also the following:

"Marriage Officiant

The marriage officiant, e.g., clergyperson or authorized individual, who
performs the marriage ceremony, is required by law to complete the
marriage license and return it to the County Recorder’s office within 10
days of the event for registration. For confidential marriages, the marriage
license is returned to the County Clerk’s office for registration."

Also, claiming to be married without said marriage license may also be considered fraud or otherwise illegal.  Being "married" has legal connotations in the state of California and misrepresentation is not a good idea in general.  Consult a lawyer practicing in California for details.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
Also, claiming to be married without said marriage license may also be considered fraud or otherwise illegal.  Being "married" has legal connotations in the state of California and misrepresentation is not a good idea in general.  Consult a lawyer practicing in California for details.

Really?

Care to cite the caselaw where gays have been prosecuted for claiming to be married without said license?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »
Suppose we have four people:  John and Jim, Anne and Amy.  All four of them are gay.  Suppose that John has a great job with great benefits, and so does Amy.  Jim and Anne have jobs, but with crappy insurance and so forth.

It would currently be legal, in any state in the Union, for John and Anne to get married so that Anne could get the benefit of John's insurance.  Likewise Amy and Jim could legally get married so that Jim could take advantage of Amy's insurance and so forth.  Two marriages, based solely upon benefits-grabbing; exactly the scenario that many who are opposed to gay marriage are citing as a reason not to allow it.

It would not likewise be legal for John and Jim to marry, and for Anne and Amy to marry.  Yet the cost to the involved companies would be approximately the same; John's company would have a spouse on the books (Jim in this case, instead of Anne), and Amy's company would have a spouse on the books (Anne in this case, instead of Jim).  No substantive economic difference, yet one of these scenarios (the one in which the various spouses actually love one another and are therefore more likely to be in it for legitimate reasons) is prohibited by law in most states.

"Marriage" as a term is a religious word.  Therefore the government has no business being involved with it; it's within the purview of the churches alone, and no minister (of any type) should be compelled by the government to wed anyone his or her religion forbids (under "free exercise").  But a church-performed wedding (of any sort, no matter the religion) should have no legal standing.  None.  (And I say this as a minster who performs both legally-binding and non-binding ceremonies)

Legal protection for couples (all couples) should come from civil unions; these civil unions should require the swearing of legal oaths before a judge/magistrate (maybe a clerk or notary), and should be very difficult to dissolve (to prevent McUnions for the sake of temporary benefits coverage and so forth), and should be issued to any two consenting adults who present themselves for one, absent malum in se disqualifying factors.

Couples (of any consenting-adult type) who wish to have a nonreligious legally-binding union get a Civil Union.
Couples (of any consenting and religiously-sound type) who wish to be joined before their God/Gods go to their minister, and get married/handfasted/whatever-that-religion-calls-it.
Couples who wish both legal and spiritual standing for their union have to do both; neither type of union carries any weight at all in the realm of the other.

It's really not all that hard.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

taurusowner

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
Why only two consenting adults?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
Uhm  Yes, actually, it is.  California has numerous requirements for marriage.  Among them is also the following:

"Marriage Officiant

The marriage officiant, e.g., clergyperson or authorized individual, who
performs the marriage ceremony, is required by law to complete the
marriage license and return it to the County Recorder’s office within 10
days of the event for registration. For confidential marriages, the marriage
license is returned to the County Clerk’s office for registration."

That doesn't say it is illegal, just that the license has to be turned in within 10 days.  It doesn't say it is prohibited.

Yes, I am sure that claiming a govt sanctioned marriage without actually having a govt sanctioned marriage could be a problem.  That only applies in certain circumstances.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »

One could argue a couple of different ways on that. 

I left it out of my post so that what I said could not be ignored in favor of the "yeah, what about one guy getting a job and then putting 40000000 people on his company's insurance" strawman.

There are legitimate economic considerations when you get into the realm of unions of more-than-two, which are not present in unions of two people whether gay or straight.  As such, it's a debate for a different thread; this thread is about two-person gay marriage, not multiple-marriage of any type.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
Gay marriage supporters get Prop 8 on the ballot, thinking "well, we all know the voters will support us!"
Prop 8 dies.
It gets litigated, because, well those voters are too stupid to know what they are doing!
It gets overturned by a clearly biased and activist judge.

Well it sort of is about the right and wrong of gay marriage. If a particular law is discriminatory does that make it a just law? Should we allow unjust laws to stand? Should individual judge's have the power to overturn unjust laws that the people of that state voted?

To steal from St. Thomas Aquinas and MLK:

An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law. Any law that uplifts the human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust. All segregation statutes are unjust because segregation distorts the soul and damages the personality. It gives the segregator a false sense of superiority and the segregated a false sense of inferiority.

Care to cite the caselaw where gays have been prosecuted for claiming to be married without said license?

Looked but couldn't find any but does that really matter? Gay people cannot get married. Gay couples in a civil union do not have the same legal protections as a married heterosexual couple. How would you feel if your spouse was dying and the hospital told you that you couldn't see them? Do you think because the couple happened to be gay that's fair?

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/02/08-4

A gay woman in Florida was not allowed to visit her dying partner in the hospital because the hospital doesn't recognize same sex marriage or partnerships. Do the posters advocating civil union's believe that's right? Because civil union's don't convey the legal protections as marriage as stated by this Wiki entry:
The federal government does not recognize these unions, and under the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 (DOMA), other U.S. states are not obliged to recognize them.

(Mods its wiki not copyrighted)  

That's called discrimination.

Obvious troll is obvious . . . .

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
What in the US Constitution forbids states  from regulating marriage?

Shouldn't the real question be, what in the US Constitution allows states/fed to regulate marriage?

you weren't listening  one reason is its expensive.

So we should take away rights because it is expensive now?

companies will have to offer benefits to folks they currently don't cover.

That sounds like a different issue that should be discussed.

Marraige  is a social construct developed over the ages to protect the children of a sexual union.  Nothing more, nothing less.

lol really? So it's for the children now?  :lol:

edit - Also I remember hearing a bit on the news last night where the judge cited the 14th Amendment as one of the reasons.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:54:54 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 03:47:44 PM »
Do the posters advocating civil union's believe that's right? Because civil union's don't convey the legal protections as marriage as stated by this Wiki entry:

If you're referring to me, it was my intention to suggest that a church-defined "marriage" of whatever sort should grant no rights at all in a governmental sense, and a government-issued "civil union" should grant all of the "next of kin" and other rights we currently associate with a government-sanctioned marriage.

I should have been more clear.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »
Is there anything that hasn't been somehow connected to religion over the years?

Wars are fought for religion.  Does that mean that Congress Declaring (or not declaring) war is somehow establishing or prohibiting a religion  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »
Really?

Nope.  I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.  "Consult a lawyer practicing in California for details."

Unrelated to any specific post.

One interesting aspect that I've noticed not mentioned.  Constitutions in the US are intended protect the citizenry and oppress/limit the government.  Anyone else get a "not good" feeling when amendments to various constitutions are passed that protect the government and oppress/limit the citizenry?   Kinda starts us down an interesting road. 

I notice it is very revealing of conservatives about their feelings of limited government.  "Big government bad!  But they should TOTALLY regulate and monopolize a very large segment of religion."    Uhm.  Right. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
Whoa, children....children...children.

Prop 8 dies.

It gets overturned by a clearly biased and activist homosexual judge.

I pretty much agree and fixed it a bit.

I still have yet to hear one logical argument against gay marriage that does start with because my religion said so, or because marriage is between a man and a woman. If anyone has an actual reason I'd love to hear it here.(1)

No one is trying to force Your church to gay marry anyone, but Prop 8 supporters want to stop ALL churches from gay marrying people. (2)

Doesn't Prop 8 go against the 1st Amendment? (3)
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof "

Might not be Congress but it sure appears the government is trying to stifle some peoples religious exercises. Plus its simple discrimination, why is that so hard to understand?(4)  

(1)You haven't been listening.

A nation and a gov't has an interest in marriage, of the usual type.  

Without them and their issue, there will be no more nation and gov't.  

Also, such arrangements are encouraged because it reduces crime (from bastard children raised by their mothers and unmarried adult men), reduces illegitimate births leading to welfare suckage (by single mothers and bastard children), and is the most efficient means to raise children.  Marriage also reduces the incidents of health care problems in men  (Nagging to death does have an effect, ladies), due to neglect of health and to sexually transmitted disease.

"Gay" marriage is of little moment.  It produces no issue, is a Darwinian dead end, and most are shams, anyway, with 50%+ being "open" marriages.  Homosexual unions provide no benefit by attenuating any social ills.  There is no "upside" for fellow citizens & taxpayers to give it gov't recognition, just extra cost.

If they want to run around claiming they are married with like-minded cotton-headed folk, fine, let them abuse the concept, the English language, and the institution.  Don't expect the taxpayers and their employers to support their pathetic fantasy with recognition, legal status, and cash when the taxpayers get bupkis from the deal.

I have gone from supporting civil union verbiage to being against both "gay" marriage and civil unions since the queer lobby's antics on Prop 8.  Such poor behavior ought to have deleterious consequences.

(2) They are trying to force others to recognize it via means of force (law).  Many, many examples of this.

(3) Uh, it wasn't Congress and it had no religious component.  No first amendment issue.  Any shaman stinking of patchouli & BO can declare them "married" and they prance about and feel all the love from fellow goofballs.  What they can't do is claim to gov't, which has an interest in real marriage, that they are married.

(4) You do not understand.  Under the current regime, WRT equal treatment under the law/14th Amend, everyone is treated equally: you can only marry another live human of the opposite sex who is also unmarried.  

1. Shouldn't the real question be, what in the US Constitution allows states/fed to regulate marriage?

2. So we should take away rights because it is expensive now?

3. That sounds like a different issue that should be discussed.

4. lol really? So it's for the children now?  :lol:

5. edit - Also I remember hearing a bit on the news last night where the judge cited the 14th Amendment as one of the reasons.

1. For the love of snaggle-toothed Xenu...

COTUS addresses this in Article IV, Sec 1.

Also, COTUS is a document listing the powers of fed gov't, explicitly leaving all other powers to the states or the people.

2. Marriage, even the real sort, is not a right.  No one can be compelled to marry you if you are unmarried, thus fulfilling your "right to marry."  Either in the sense that someone officiates or in hte sense that someone is now married to you.  

Recognition of marriage by gov't and the legal, financial, and other such are a benefit provided by the gov't because the gov't & the citizenry have an interest in promoting real marriage.

OTOH, if gov't recognized gay marriage, those so gay-married can compel via violence (force of law) to provide certain benefits if htey are provided for real marriages.

3. No, it is very, very germane and part of the issue, becasue the isue hinges on gov't recognition of marriage and the legal effects.

4. Partly.  As I stated above, real marriage has many benefits to citizens who pay taxes and are possible crime victims.  Thus, there is a gov't interest.

5. Addressed above.  Too many folk think "equal treatment" means "gov't enabling me to get my freak on and legal recognition of my freak status."

RevDisk:

Social institutions have been recognized by gov't since the founding.  You can see some of them in the COTUS itself.  The standard you are labeling "conservative" is actually better called "anarchist."  This is one of the dividing lines between those who want the US Constitution to be followed and libertarians.  Strict constitutionalism != libertarianism.

This front in the culture war was opened by the radical gay lobby.  In order to defend an institution mentioned in both the COTUS and many state constitutions, it is right and proper to use constitutional & legal means.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »
If you're referring to me, it was my intention to suggest that a church-defined "marriage" of whatever sort should grant no rights at all in a governmental sense, and a government-issued "civil union" should grant all of the "next of kin" and other rights we currently associate with a government-sanctioned marriage.

I should have been more clear.

Basically my thoughts as well. However:

are there any "rights" granted by .gov to married people that are not available to a gay couple filling out the related documents? Ie spouses are NoK automatically, but you can file a living will/health directive etc to grant anyone you want the same position, right?

Honest question, I don't really know.

That's from the .gov side. I'm totally opposed to forcing private individuals or businesses to recognize gay marriage. And after the Canadian pastor got thrown in jail for "hate speech" after relating the parts of the Bible that say homosexuality is a sin, I'm very wary of the "gay rights" movement in general. It seems less "We want the same rights as you" and more "We want to use .gov to force you to accept our choice."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
That's from the .gov side. I'm totally opposed to forcing private individuals or businesses to recognize gay marriage. And after the Canadian pastor got thrown in jail for "hate speech" after relating the parts of the Bible that say homosexuality is a sin, I'm very wary of the "gay rights" movement in general. It seems less "We want the same rights as you" and more "We want to use .gov to force you to accept our choice."
I agree with your concerns.  I was pretty open on this subject previously and still am at times, but after listening to a multitude of callers call into talk shows with their illogical and convoluted arguments, I am convinced that this is just a 1st step.  They won't stop with "gay marriage" if this decision stands. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
roo=ster? this was a gay judge? who didn't recuse him/herself? hows that work?  even in the land of granola thats gotta be a bozo no no
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
roo=ster? this was a gay judge? who didn't recuse him/herself? hows that work?  even in the land of granola thats gotta be a bozo no no

Judge is openly homosexual, yeah. I thought it was odd he didn't recuse himself either.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »

Prop 8 dies.

Wrong way around.

Gay marriage opponents wrote Prop 8, which defined marriage as the union of a man and a woman, and put it on the ballot.  It passed, then got challenged in court by the supporters of gay marriage.

A minor point, I suppose, but it needs to be clarified.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »

[ghostbusters]Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, bents making rules for straights... mass hysteria! [/ghostbusters]

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
If you're referring to me,

I wasn't specifically referring to you, just any poster that advocates civil unions as a substitute for marriage.

a church-defined "marriage" of whatever sort should grant no rights at all in a governmental sense, and a government-issued "civil union" should grant all of the "next of kin" and other rights we currently associate with a government-sanctioned marriage.

That's something I would support, if gays where allowed to be "joined" by the government issued civil union and afforded all the same legal benefits and protections as a heterosexual couple since it would negate the whole government sanctioned marriage debate. Since at that point I'd assume no one would try and make a law to force or ban a pastor/rabbi/imam to marry a couple. The gay couple would just have to go "church shopping" if they wanted to have a religious ceremony along with the civil ceremony.  

A nation and a gov't has an interest in marriage, of the usual type. 
Without them and their issue, there will be no more nation and gov't. 
WHOA! Without marriage people would stop reproducing!!!! How did people come into being before the invention of marriage? Without marriage America would devolve into total anarchy! First off no one's trying to abolish marriage, second off gay's getting married isn't going to result in the government imploding, seriously bringing out the strawmen in first few sentences?

Also, such arrangements are encouraged because it reduces crime (from bastard children raised by their mothers and unmarried adult men), reduces illegitimate births leading to welfare suckage (by single mothers and bastard children), and is the most efficient means to raise children. 

Who's fault is all of that? Oh Yea HETEROSEXUALS! Gay men aren't going around knocking up women and leaving them, and I'd sure love to see two lesbians try to impregnate each other. Hell that entire argument is practically FOR gay marriage.

Marriage also reduces the incidents of health care problems in men  (Nagging to death does have an effect, ladies), due to neglect of health and to sexually transmitted disease.

Seriously? Wear a rubber and learn some self discipline. If the only reason your taking care of yourself is because of your wife, you must not have very high self worth, maybe someone like that has other problems worth worrying about other than two guys getting married.   

It produces no issue, is a Darwinian dead end, and most are shams, anyway, with 50%+ being "open" marriages.  Homosexual unions provide no benefit by attenuating any social ills.  There is no "upside" for fellow citizens & taxpayers to give it gov't recognition, just extra cost.

What's it matter to you if its a darwinian dead end? Gays can adopt children and give a child, that some apparently excellent heterosexual couple gave up for some reason a loving home. First off what type of surveys have you done to ascertain that over 50% of gay marriages are "open"? Ummmm? Might make for an interesting story. Or are we pulling facts out of out butt? Second off, even if 50% of gay marriages are open who are you to judge them? About 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce, does that mean marriage is a failed experiment? Who knows how many married people cheat on their spouses, I'd imagine an "open" relationship where both parties are honest with one another would be a healthier relationship.

There is no "upside" for fellow citizens & taxpayers to give it gov't recognition, just extra cost.

What extra cost? Gay couples would pay the same tax rate as a married couple. Do you mean the cost of decreased revenues of a gay couple now filing jointly on their tax return? Are you seriously proposing that we base civil rights on a cost / benefit analysis for our government?

No one is trying to force Your church to gay marry anyone, but Prop 8 supporters want to stop ALL churches from gay marrying people. (2)

(2) They are trying to force others to recognize it via means of force (law).  Many, many examples of this.
Yes they are, just like Blacks forced via means of law to be recognized as equal citizens in the civil rights era. OMG their FORCING me to treat them as equals oh woe is me! Heck no one's forcing you to do anything, no ones trying to FORCE churches to marry them, no ones FORCING you to attend a gay wedding. Whatever its not your thing I get that, but what harm is going to come to you if John and Bob get married?

Might not be Congress but it sure appears the government is trying to stifle some peoples religious exercises.

Uh, it wasn't Congress and it had no religious component.

Did I not just say that? The STATE Government has created a law that restricts an individuals practice of a religious ceremony. Marriage is religious ceremony, if a pastor preforms a marriage and the state does not recognize the marriage that takes the teeth out of the religious ceremony. It would be like the state passing a law that says you can not serve communion wine anymore. It would take the teeth out of that ceremony and I doubt that would pass 1st Amendment muster.

everyone is treated equally: you can only marry another live human of the opposite sex who is also unmarried. 

Fixed that for ya  =)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
It's pretty neat when conservatives/libertarians invent rights in the constitution like liberals constantly get accused of.

It's a good ruling.

Real patriots stick up for everyone's rights, especially the rights of people they don't like.

I see precious few patriots in this thread, and it makes me
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
Marriage is a right?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
Marriage is a right?

Freedom of association. 

I'm all for 'getting the government out of marriage; civil unions for all!'.  While we're at it clean up the convoluted, messy contract that is 'marriage'.  If you want to call yourself married, find a priest/priestess/mullah/whatever to perform a ceremony.

I remember reading old scifi that had 'contract marriages'.  Couples could get married, for 5, 10, 15-20 years, depending on circumstances.  Seperation date and asset division were pre-determined.  Normally the contract would be extended in the case of offspring, or at the option of the partners.  Kinda like the idea.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »
Marriage is a right?

Equal protection, 14th amendment. 
"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I get it that some folks don't like gays, and think their lifestyle is sinful, wrong, or whatever.  They think that marriage is only between a man and a woman.
Tough.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get in a relationship with someone of the same sex, and get married.

I don't like Muslims or Mormons.  I'd never deny them their rights just because I don't like them.

Marriage is NOT just a religious ceremony.  State government gives marriage licenses, and state and federal government bases levied taxes and other services and rights based on being married.  Therefore, restricting marriage to "only people we like" just can't stand.

I'm all for getting government out of marriage, and letting any two or group of people have "Civil contracts" to allow them to get health coverage via employers, etc.  Yes, multiple people.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:05:58 PM by Nitrogen »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM