Author Topic: NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit  (Read 9620 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gun-Control-Assault-Weapons-Ban-Magazines-Limit-Cuomo-NY-186794151.html

Hmm... what idolotrous cult firearm with high cost service liability and massive New England corporate interests has a native capacity of 7 rounds?  I just can't think of any.   [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
http://www.nysrpa.org/

FIREMISSION: Call Skelos and State Senate

Everybody please call Sen. Dean Skelos and your own State Senator and tell them not to make any concessions on gun control.

Skelos' Albany office number is 518-455-3171.  You can look up your State Senators by address on the Senate website or using NRA-ILA's search tool.

Here is a flyer for distribution (.pdf) with names and numbers of Senators to call.

Here are mail merge files (.zip) for the State Senate.  Requires Office 2010 or later.

All you New Yorkers, call your critters.

Looks like NYSRPA has the right angle.  No concessions.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
Hmm... what idolotrous cult firearm with high cost service liability and massive New England corporate interests has a native capacity of 7 rounds?  I just can't think of any.   [popcorn]

S&W, Ruger, and Colt revolvers mostly fall within that limit (except for some 22lr models and a single 357mag N-Frame S&W).  Seems to be a way to effectively ban most semiautos rather than cater to a given platform.

But back to your platform bashing...

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
S&W, Ruger, and Colt revolvers mostly fall within that limit (except for some 22lr models and a single 357mag N-Frame S&W).  Seems to be a way to effectively ban most semiautos rather than cater to a given platform.

But back to your platform bashing...

Chris

Article doesn't mention revolver capacity at all, or a potential revolver ban or limit on cylinder capacity.  Just talks about magazine capacity.

Seems an effective way to ban most semiautos that are not 1911 pattern.  With the exception of tiny Kel-tecs, Walther PPK's and other deliberately concealable single stack designs.  But the number 7 is just irksome.  It's a deliberate nod to the "okay" semiauto (the 1911, beloved by the NRA for bullseye pistol competitions and beloved by the industry for its high entry costs and high maintenance costs) and the "bad" semiautos (Glocks, Sigs, Berettas and so on).
--Lysander Spooner

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
It's so people can't have a Glock Fo-tay, because obviously they aren't profeshunal enough.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
I don't see how this could possibly pass the Heller "common use" test. I'm not sure a 10 round limit would either at this point, but a 7 round limit would definitely ban a huge amount of common firearms.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
I think it is a game of political one-upmanship.  See we are even more stringent than the Feds.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
Article doesn't mention revolver capacity at all, or a potential revolver ban or limit on cylinder capacity.  Just talks about magazine capacity.
It also doesn't mention the 1911 or that the mag ban is for semi-autos at all.

Seems an effective way to ban most semiautos that are not 1911 pattern.  With the exception of tiny Kel-tecs, Walther PPK's and other deliberately concealable single stack designs.  But the number 7 is just irksome.  It's a deliberate nod to the "okay" semiauto (the 1911, beloved by the NRA for bullseye pistol competitions and beloved by the industry for its high entry costs and high maintenance costs) and the "bad" semiautos (Glocks, Sigs, Berettas and so on).

You're reading too much into a single number.  This is nothing but a one-upmanship as adively pointed out.  It's entirely possible the author(s) of the law weren't aware of semiautos that couldn't take more than 7 rounds (ie the 1911 and tiny guns), that they thought this would effectively ban all semiautos, leaving shooters to revolvers only.  That is more likely than an anti-gun legislator protecting the 1911.  Dumber things could happen.

Unless you have actual, you know, evidence to the contrary...

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
The 1911 is "the 'okay' semiauto," now? Of all the cockamamy gun-ban conspiracy theories.  :facepalm:

Besides, that would only ban Glocks, et al, until low-cap mags can be produced. And if mag capacity is the only reason you're shooting a WonderForty, then I guess the 1911 is pretty awesome, after all.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:11:27 PM »
then I guess the 1911 is pretty awesome, after all.

Well, there was never any doubt.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
The 1911 is "the 'okay' semiauto," now? Of all the cockamamy gun-ban conspiracy theories.  :facepalm:

Besides, that would only ban Glocks, et al, until low-cap mags can be produced. And if mag capacity is the only reason you're shooting a WonderForty, then I guess the 1911 is pretty awesome, after all.

Glock 36.  Springfield XDS.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Some of us run our 1911s with eight-round mags.  Oops.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
massive New England corporate interests

Do tell me more about these "massive" NE corporate interests that make 1911s.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Some of us run our 1911s with eight-round mags.  Oops.

Apparently the NRA hates 8 rounds.  You're screwed.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
I think we would all do well to avoid attributing to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

This is probably how that convo went...

Dumbass 1: Hey, we gotta get rid of these automatic death weapons and make it so people can only buy revolvers. But banning the airport-scanner proof death guns won't work because of the NRA. So what do we do?
Dumbass 2: OK... revolvers have what... 6 or 7 bullets in the spinny clip?
Dumbass 1: Yeah. But you're dumb. it's called a rotating magazine. I saw that on CSI.
Dumbass 2: OK. let's make it so that clips can only have 7 bullets. That way, all the plastic terror guns are illegal!
Dumbass 1: BRILLIANT!

Both dumbasses go drink craft bear at a co-op
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »
Fitz had exactly the same thought process I had.  This is just another way to get rid of all semiautos rather than showing favoritism.

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
Apparently the NRA hates 8 rounds.  You're screwed.

Chris

Time to cancel my Life Membership.  :lol:

I think we would all do well to avoid attributing to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

This is probably how that convo went...

Dumbass 1: Hey, we gotta get rid of these automatic death weapons and make it so people can only buy revolvers. But banning the airport-scanner proof death guns won't work because of the NRA. So what do we do?
Dumbass 2: OK... revolvers have what... 6 or 7 bullets in the spinny clip?
Dumbass 1: Yeah. But you're dumb. it's called a rotating magazine. I saw that on CSI.
Dumbass 2: OK. let's make it so that clips can only have 7 bullets. That way, all the plastic terror guns are illegal!
Dumbass 1: BRILLIANT!

Both dumbasses go drink craft bear at a co-op

Don't forget that they burned some patchouli.  =D

They probably saw that the S&W 627 has 8 rounds and thought that was way to much, so let's just go with one lower and we can get the gun nuts closer to what they should have which is muskets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:24:27 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
Who says this flies legally?  And where is the NRA backing this?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
Some of us run our 1911s with eight-round mags.  Oops.

Was going to post this. I have 9 mags for mine, 6 of which are 8 rounders.  =|

(I wonder how many of these twits would have aneurisms if they saw my normal CCW: SIG P226 with 20 round mags.  >:D)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 02:48:39 PM »
25 or 6 to 4?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »
If something like this was implemented, I would be interested in what the workaround is and how soon it comes out. We're real good at that stuff in CA. We have the "bullet button" for ARs, and though we have our stupid "safe handgun" list that prohibits a whole bunch of pistols, we can pretty much get any of them legally using what's called the Single Shot Exemption (SSE). The way it works is:

Choose the evil handgun you want.
Send it to an FFL that does the SSE conversion (there are a half dozen or so)
That FFL will remove your barrel and replace it with a 6" or greater length barrel
That FFL will replace the magazine that came with your pistol with a blocked mag that only accepts one round
That FFL will then ship the pistol in that configuration, with your original parts, to your local FFL
After your 10 day wait, you pick up your single shot pistol with the long ass barrel and take it home
At home, you remove the 6" barrel and blocked mag, replace with the originals, and send the borrowed barrel and mag back to the SSE FFL
You now have a CA legal pistol not on the "safe handgun" list

It costs around $150 on top of whatever the pistol cost, but the point is, whatever lame ass restrictions they pass, smart people find a workaround. I don't want to see any restrictions, but the antis usually get outsmarted on any they pass.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »
Who says this flies legally? 
Nobody except the ones who wrote it.

And where is the NRA backing this?
Only in Azred's fantasy world where he's Humungous running around the desert with his face colander.  [popcorn]

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
Whiskey tango fox?
1) standard 1911 mags are 8 rounds
2) no where in the article does it say that the NRA was involved in this at all.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
Everyone should own a 1911.  Everything else is an affront unto G-d, and JMB.  BBHN.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.