Author Topic: NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit  (Read 9616 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
I think it is a game of political one-upmanship.  See we are even more stringent than the Feds.

This.

Lots of current 1911s are sold with 8-round mags these days anyways, aren't they? My Kimber was, back in the late 90s, and there are more models today selling with CMC magazines (for example) than there were then.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
25 or 6 to 4?

No, NYC.  I am sure Rahm Emanuel will come up with a dumbazz restriction of his own.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
They had a closed-door session over the weekend.  No one heard about this until today.  Cuomo is declaring some kind of emergency exception so that they don't need to wait for public comment before a vote.  They want to vote on it and sign it today.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
If something like this was implemented, I would be interested in what the workaround is and how soon it comes out. We're real good at that stuff in CA. We have the "bullet button" for ARs, and though we have our stupid "safe handgun" list that prohibits a whole bunch of pistols, we can pretty much get any of them legally using what's called the Single Shot Exemption (SSE). The way it works is:

My guess is they'll just take a normal magazine and put a block and shorter spring in it so it will only accept seven rounds. Either that they'll turn the double-stack magazines into a single stack and either make the walls thicker or have an inside partition to keep the outside dimensions the same. The blocked magazine would be fairly easy to turn back into a normal capacity mag, but the conversion probably wouldn't be legal.

I still don't see how this survives the "in common use" test, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 11:02:23 PM »
This information was shared with the AP by 5 anonymous sources inside the NY legislature.  They claim they are poised to pass it them all tonight. and Cuomo will sign immediately.
 :facepalm: [barf]

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
This just passed our Senate 43-18

In case you aren't all up on NYS politics, the Senate is where gun bills go to die.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:13 AM »
On to Cuomo or does it require a vote by a 2nd body (such as a "House")?

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this. Sounds like you guys now might be more screwed than CA. Might not be for long though - not wanting to miss being on the popular train, CA is looking at even more Draconian laws right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »
I'm having a hard time figuring how these state AWB's can stand post Heller. Assuming a case works it's way through the courts before Obama can pack the SCOTUS. And IIRC, the first two likely deaths/retirements are liberals anyway.
I promise not to duck.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »
On to Cuomo or does it require a vote by a 2nd body (such as a "House")?

Chris

Yes, but we call it the "Assembly", which is only 2 seats away from being a supermajority of Democrats.  It's a lock.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »
Time to find a new address?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:52 AM »
Was just reading something elsewhere and saw a theory that is far more likely than 1911 protectionism: The 7 round limit was tailored for the M1 Garand, as its en-bloc clip holds 8 rounds.  =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
Was just reading something elsewhere and saw a theory that is far more likely than 1911 protectionism: The 7 round limit was tailored for the M1 Garand, as its en-bloc clip holds 8 rounds.  =|

[barf]
Charles Babbage

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »

So, by this premise, a veteran who carried this rifle, a global symbol of American freedom, sacrifice, and generosity, or a descendant who inherited one, would become a criminal for possession of an en bloc clip?

Wow. Just wow. I weep for the memory of the Republic. :'(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »

I agree.  Same thought came to me last night, actually.

However, enbloc clips exist that hold 2rds on one side and 5rds on the other side... 2rds for competitive shooting and 5rds for states that restrict hunting capacity.  I have a couple of these clips.

So theoretically, the Garand itself is still not banned in NY, just the natural 8rd clips, since the rifle can be made to function with limited size clips.  Yes?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I agree.  Same thought came to me last night, actually.

However, enbloc clips exist that hold 2rds on one side and 5rds on the other side... 2rds for competitive shooting and 5rds for states that restrict hunting capacity.  I have a couple of these clips.

So theoretically, the Garand itself is still not banned in NY, just the natural 8rd clips, since the rifle can be made to function with limited size clips.  Yes?

Who knows.  No one until we read the text of the bill
Charles Babbage

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
I hate the thought that they've castrated the Garand (and that CA may just copy them). Making lemonade out of lemons, Enblock clips, I imagine, are cheap and easy to produce. Someone will get with China and start selling seven round clips.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 10:16:16 AM »
I hate the thought that they've castrated the Garand (and that CA may just copy them). Making lemonade out of lemons, Enblock clips, I imagine, are cheap and easy to produce. Someone will get with China and start selling seven round clips.

Probably 5rd, too.  Mostly so they don't have to make 3rd clips.

So many Garands get sold to CMP'ers that shoot C&R matches and get told to load 10rds in 2 magazines for a string of fire.  To do 7's, you'd need a corresponding 3rd clip.

5rd clips simplify product availability for that purpose, as well as for hunting (5rds is a common maximum for semiauto hunting capacity, while I believe some other states limit max capacity to 4rds). 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Long text is *expletive deleted*ing long, and I don't have the patience to cut it up into a format that will fit into the 20000 character limit in this board, so I'm just linking to another board:
http://wethearmed.com/general-firearms-discussion/new-york-gun-legislation-passed/msg313078/#msg313078
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
The other side of this crappy coin is that we may see some new designs built up around 7 round mags...Might get some nice carry guns this way.

( Yes, I do like the ending of Life of Brian...Always Look At The Bright Side of Life.)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »
I guess you all know that this bill was signed by the Cuomo today.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »
The other side of this crappy coin is that we may see some new designs built up around 7 round mags...Might get some nice carry guns this way.

( Yes, I do like the ending of Life of Brian...Always Look At The Bright Side of Life.)

I'm hoping more gun companies "go Barrett" on governments.  As in, refuse to sell to them.
--Lysander Spooner

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
I'm hoping more gun companies "go Barrett" on governments.  As in, refuse to sell to them.
This I agree with.  No company should sell a firearm or firearm component to any NYS agency that violates the law they just passed at it applies to us lesser citizens.  No new 30rd magazines for their existing patrol AR's, no new AR's, no Glock magazines, and etc.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »
do we need a constitutional amendment that states law enforcement are citizens too?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »
Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
OK. Someone is starting to take action:

Lawyer : Jim Tresmond, Attorney in Buffalo, New York. Attorney phone is 716.202.4301

Successfully represented clients in the past on Second Amendment issues in NYS Supreme Court. This case is pro-bono for all the gun owners of New York. According to Mr. Tresmond the new ban is illegal as it is an ex-facto law taking away previously owned property and he intends to file this action in Federal Court.

We are looking for as many as possible to add to CLASS ACTION CASE:

SEND Your Name and EMAIL ADDRESS and phone number to:

psacco1@twcny.rr.com
WE ARE COLLECTING AS MANY AS POSSIBLE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rochester-Personal-Defense-LLC/461665857219329