Author Topic: NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit  (Read 9615 times)

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: NRA 1911 Protectionism? NY supposedly will have 7rd mag limit
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
Another point that Ayoob makes (I a try to make whenever possible), is that most officers in the USA go out on the streets with a 45+ rounds on their person and a long gun in the car even though they often have a partner and access to backup via radio. So, if a cop with a partner and backup feels that they need that much ammo close at hand, then a lone civilian dealing with bad guys really needs that standard capacity magazine and NOT an artificially neutered weapon.  
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »
Just a thought...they make an exception for current and former law enforcement officers.  The argument for retired law enforcement officers I've heard is that they've pissed off enough people in a career, so they need to be able to protect themselves.  Anyone ever heard a similar argument made for a witness who testifies in court, or for that matter, a judge who sentences the criminals?  God knows I've pissed off a lot of people this week, much less over my career on the bench, and as a prosecutor before that...

Those kinds have justifications have successfully gotten people CCW permits in CA and NY. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
Oh, I have a nice and pretty "shall issue" Ohio permit.  Just find it interesting that the logic for extending exceptions to LEO's is somehow deemed illogical,, and wrong, when applied to others.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2013, 03:23:10 AM »
NYPD commissioner on the recent laws passed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMMbjfYLIas
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
Massad Ayoob made the compelling point that police have evolved as the society has devolved in terms of weapons choices. They realize that high-capacity semi-auto pistols and rifles are the most effective weapons on the streets as they are.  We don't live in a world where six-shot .38s and five-shot pump shotguns solve all violence problems any more.  What works for law enforcement works for us.

This bears repeating.....LEO's are civilians, too....

NYPD commissioner on the recent laws passed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMMbjfYLIas

This is why I have a hard time watching BLUE BLOODS.....the real PC is a blithering idiot.....  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:01:15 AM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Oh, I have a nice and pretty "shall issue" Ohio permit.  Just find it interesting that the logic for extending exceptions to LEO's is somehow deemed illogical,, and wrong, when applied to others.

Sure, but it ties in to creating separate, more and less equal classes of citizen, and further stratifying/fracturing the society. The smaller the group, the easier to manipulate if they're on your side, or to marginalize if they oppose you.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Sure, but it ties in to creating separate, more and less equal classes of citizen, and further stratifying/fracturing the society. The smaller the group, the easier to manipulate if they're on your side, or to marginalize if they oppose you.

Now where have I seen that before? Oh...

Patricii
Equites
Proletarius
Servi
Liberti

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
Banks
Corporations
Government Officials
--------------------------------------------------> Mr. Glock Fo-tay, who is the only one professional enough
Police
Tax Cows
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
I was thinking specifically:

Patricii - The Congresscritters-For-Life, the exceptionally wealthy and politically connected, etc.

Equites - The police, upper military officers, appointed government functionaries, celebrities, etc.

Proletarii - The rest of us, and any of the above that don't "play ball," so to speak.

Servi - The incarcerated .

Liberti - Freed convicts now deprived of rights.