Author Topic: Another Retirement: Justice Stevens just announced he will step down  (Read 6505 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Justice Stevens is stepping down at the end of this session. Wonder what left of the left tard BHO will select?

Justice Stevens to Step Down
Apr 09, 2010 12:05 PM EDT
Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, the court's oldest member and leader of its liberal bloc, said Friday he is retiring, Fox News has confirmed, giving President Obama his second high court opening to fill.

Stevens said he will step down when the court finishes its work for the summer in late June or early July.

His announcement Friday in Washington had been hinted at for months. It comes 11 days before his 90th birthday.

Stevens began signaling a possible retirement last summer when he hired just one of his usual complement of four law clerks for the next court term. He acknowledged in several interviews that he was contemplating stepping down and would certainly do so during Obama's presidency.

The timing of his announcement leaves ample time for the White House to settle on a successor and Senate Democrats, who control 59 votes, to conduct confirmation hearings and a vote. Republicans have not ruled out an attempt to delay confirmation.

The leading candidates to replace Stevens are Solicitor General Elena Kagan, 49, and federal appellate Judges Merrick Garland, 57, and Diane Wood, 59.

Stevens' departure will not change the court's conservative-liberal split because Obama is certain to name a liberal-leaning replacement. But the new justice is not likely to be able to match Stevens' ability to marshal narrow majorities in big cases.

Stevens was able to draw the support of the court's swing votes, now-retired Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and Justice Anthony Kennedy, to rein in or block some Bush administration policies, including the detention of suspected terrorists following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, its tilt toward protecting businesses from some lawsuits and its refusal to act against global warming.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Another Retirement: Justice Stevens just announced he will step down
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
Justice Stevens is stepping down at the end of this session. Wonder what left of the left tard BHO will select?

Isn't Stevens already left?  Won't this just be a wash?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »

Effectively. However, the question will be just how left his replacement will be.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
It's like people that say " once you hit rock bottom, you can only bounce back up, can't get worse". That's wrong. When you hit bottom. You can roll around like a pig in the mud before you bounce back. BHO can nominate someone far worse.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
It's like people that say " once you hit rock bottom, you can only bounce back up, can't get worse". That's wrong. When you hit bottom. You can roll around like a pig in the mud before you bounce back. BHO can nominate someone far worse.

You can also bust through the bottom and hurtle into a molten lava lake.

Just sayin'.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »

I figure tit for tat on this nomination.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
You can also bust through the bottom and hurtle into a molten lava lake.

Just sayin'.

I just had a vision of the president and something about "My precious..."

However, I think the speaker fits the analogy better.

Edit: Ah-Ha! This is why I had that in my head:

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »

It can always, always, always get worse.

Anyone who thinks he has hit bottom simply decided to stop digging. 

Stevens is liberal and 89.  One of the members of the short list is in her forties. 

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
Personally, I think this may be just what the doctor ordered. A bitter, drawn-out, partisan knife fight over the nomination would be perfect for stalling out Congress until reelection campaigns interfere as November approaches. :D

Also, we can always hope the replacement ends up being more conservative or libertarian than Obama thought they would. It has happened before.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
Does anyone recall who nominated him for the SCOTUS? Then tell me why we just have to vote for Liberal DIABLOs cuz we just can't let a Democrat win.

I suspect Stevens is just being a good Lib and turning in his papers prior to the predicted (by some) blood bath of the 2010 elections.

Is Souter next?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »
Personally, I think this may be just what the doctor ordered. A bitter, drawn-out, partisan knife fight over the nomination

Except the Republicans will offer nothing more than token resistance.

Whoever replaces Stevens is going to be a leftist true believer, rest assured...and they will be in place for a long, long time...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »

Seems more like an attempt to change out the aging liberal justices for new younger version while they still have the power to do so, rather than say, waiting until conservatives have control of the selection process and then having said aging liberal justice keel over and get replaced with a conservative one.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
Deval Patrick is one name I'm hearing...

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
If the R's couldn't stop that blatantly racist female dog Sotomayor I have no faith in them to stop whatever fellow traveler Obama and Co nominate this time.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »
Does anyone recall who nominated him for the SCOTUS?

That would be Ford.
Formerly sumpnz

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »
That would be Ford.

Zackly!(not to be confused with "zackly breath"). =D

And Souter was nominated by Bush 41. At least 43 did a halfway decent job with his picks.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »
Is it just me or do R nominated justices go liberal more often than D nominated justices go conservative?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »
When has a liberal justice gone conservative?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
Kinda my point  ;)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
It's the nature of the Washington DC cesspool.  The way to get social approval is to turn liberal.  There is no incentive for starting librul and turning conservative.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
It's the nature of the Washington DC cesspool.  The way to get social approval is to turn liberal.  There is no incentive for starting librul and turning conservative.

If someone can be turned liberal by geography, then chances are they already were anyway.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
If someone can be turned liberal by geography, then chances are they already were anyway.
:facepalm:

It ain't the geography.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 02:01:59 AM »
:facepalm:

It ain't the geography.

:facepalm:Yes, I realize that...

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
Is it just me or do R nominated justices go liberal more often than D nominated justices go conservative?
When has a liberal justice gone conservative? 

Another example of of how the political ratchet works in only one direction.  Republicans will give Obama his pick after much huffing and puffing because it is a reliable liberal who is being replaced.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:02:34 AM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
I'm not really sure how Republicans can stop any nominee anyway.  Nominations aren't something you're supposed to be able to filibuster.