Author Topic: Iowa Straw Poll Results  (Read 9399 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Iowa Straw Poll Results
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »
Did you even read the post you quoted? If you want to preach to someone about priorities, take it to the leftists that are the ones concentrating on marriage. Or to put it in your language:

There's a 300 pound former NFL linebacker with a prybar in his hands, getting ready to bust your kneecaps.

But, across the street, 2 gay guys are being turned away by your neighborhood church, where they wanted to get married.

Do you help the gay guys, or do you deal with the 300 pound debt enforcer?

Priorities.

Yes, I read it.

Considering the fact that the Dems are the mafia behind the 300 pound linebacker-enforcer, I'd probably put a bullet through the Tiny's kneecap and have him memorize a message to deliver to his betters consisting of "you're next."

And I'd let the gay guys deal with their own fight.  Their fight is one of words and the justice system.  They're not hurting me, and they're not helping me with this fight.  They can see Tiny just as well as I can, and Tiny is going to visit them as well, in time.  Tiny is out for every single person in the United States of America, including the unborn for the next 80 years.

Even Abortion pales in comparison to the pre-programmed slavery system that has been manufactured here.

The debt fight is one that is rapidly leaving the bounds of civilized resolution.  Radicalization needs to happen in Congress and with the POTUS soon... or it will manifest in other mechanisms of the political process.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
OK, but why do yourself and like-minded folk keep agonizing about this the past day or two, as if us crazy fundies were out there with Fred Phelps for President signs?

I'm not seeing the issue occupying much attention in the media, lately. What has you convinced it's such a problem?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »
OK, but why do yourself and like-minded folk keep agonizing about this the past day or two, as if us crazy fundies were out there with Fred Phelps for President signs?

I'm not seeing the issue occupying much attention in the media, lately. What has you convinced it's such a problem?

Because historically it is THE trend used to derail the real issues.

I guarantee you that Congress will be toying with legislation in fall before 2012 elections pertaining to:
-gay issues
-abortion
-flag burning

Or, the two final POTUS candidates will somehow "agree" on these being the issues to debate in 2012.

Because:
-Obama doesn't want to go on record within 60 days of an election actually supporting the policies he supports
-(GOP Candidate) doesn't want to go on record saying s/he's going to try and get something MONUMENTAL done, when s/he can very realistically either fail or not deliver 100% (or even 25%).  Why set yourself up for failure in 4 years with regards to painful and complicated debt reform, when you can instead pick on an unpopular minority (gays) or get a flag burning COTUS Amendment and dump the problem on the State Legislatures' failure to follow through via the Amendment process?
-Politicians always scratch each others' backs, even on opposite sides of the aisle.  It's in neither party/candidate's best interest to debate the debt issue.  But the masses need their bread and circuses.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
Also, on the linebacker example, is there any reason why guns and the Patriot Act can't be substituted for homosexuals? Are you willing to give in on those?

Or look at this way. Since irrational marriage does poorly at the polls, shouldn't I be the one asking you to hold your nose and vote for Fundy the Gay-bashing Austrian Economist? Instead, you're telling me we should sandbag an economically righteous candidate with an unpopular position on marriage.

And just FWIW, I don't find it unimportant that an absurd idea has been created out of thin air, and suddenly anyone who won't drink the kool-aid is a bigot. That is what the marriage debate is all about, and I'm not sure how the country will survive, if such insanity is to triumph. How do we expect the nation to sort out complicated economic issues, if we can't even get our heads straight about something as simple as "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve"?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:06:02 AM by fistful »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »
Fisty:  What is the greatest threat facing our Nation today?
--Lysander Spooner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:20 AM »
Fisty:  What is the greatest threat facing our Nation today?

300 hundred pound progressive debt collectors ( with crowbars ) trying to be gay married in a Church that doesn't like them?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »
Fail. Marriage is every bit as much a social and legal institution as it is a religious one. Maybe more so. The fact that a religion has rules about something (like murder, for instance) doesn't put it beyond the purview of government.

Marriage is a religious construct that has been co-opted by the state.
Create a Civil union arrangement with all the current "benefits" of marriage- inheritance, next-of-kin etc..., make it available to any grouping of consenting adults and be done with it. You can call it whatever the heck you want to and leave churches alone to either sanction or deny as their religious precepts dictate.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
Create a Civil union arrangement with all the current "benefits" of marriage- inheritance, next-of-kin etc..., make it available to any grouping of consenting adults and be done with it. You can call it whatever the heck you want to and leave churches alone to either sanction or deny as their religious precepts dictate.

Which is what would be pushed if equality under the law was the real goal. But it's not, is it? Gay rights activists reject anything that seeks to equalize without forcing social recognition too.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 09:23:26 AM »
ince irrational marriage does poorly at the polls, shouldn't I be the one asking you to hold your nose and vote for Fundy the Gay-bashing Austrian Economist?

Is this man even running?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
Is this man even running?

I think that was fisty's point. People keep railing about how the GOP needs to roll over on social issues, when there is no one on our side actually making it an issue.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
Which is what would be pushed if equality under the law was the real goal. But it's not, is it? Gay rights activists reject anything that seeks to equalize without forcing social recognition too.
Yeah, if you listen to the actual activists that are pushing it, that is exactly true. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
Pretty sure Palin's angling for a VP or cabinet position, and thus will not run.
I can easily picture Palin sitting as Secretary of the Interior.  We will need someone to clean up the permitting mess that Obama's lackey's are building.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
And just FWIW, I don't find it unimportant that an absurd idea has been created out of thin air, and suddenly anyone who won't drink the kool-aid is a bigot. That is what the marriage debate is all about, and I'm not sure how the country will survive, if such insanity is to triumph. How do we expect the nation to sort out complicated economic issues, if we can't even get our heads straight about something as simple as "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve"?

This bears repeating. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »
I think that was fisty's point. People keep railing about how the GOP needs to roll over on social issues, when there is no one on our side actually making it an issue.

The issue in my mind is individuals who are not economically hardcore creating conservative credentials for themselves by scoring points on social issues.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
The issue in my mind is individuals who are not economically hardcore creating conservative credentials for themselves by scoring points on social issues. Huckabee.

Fixed.

Also works for Romney.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
Fixed.

Also works for Romney.

So... not in the race, and dead last in the straw poll? How's that strategy working out for them?

Let's face it, a R candidate telling religious folks to piss off is about like a D candidate doing that to the unions. Not a great idea.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »

That is the view and the goal of homosexual marriage advocates, yes.

Realistically, though, the claim that marriage is a purely or predominantly religious construct is patently false. Marriage is practiced by people of all religions and of no religion. It affects the married and the unmarried in terms of their family life and their social status and interactions outside of the family, even if no religion is practiced by any of those people.