Author Topic: Maybe it really is too late  (Read 3273 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Maybe it really is too late
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/02/07/another-no-knock-police-raid-in-iowa-raises-serious-issues-police-justify-force-of-raid-because-resident-was-legally-registered-gun-owner/

IOWA Police execute a search warrant based on suspected credit card fraud – However, they smashed down the door in a “no-knock” raid replete with full battle armor.   Then the police tried to destroy the CCTV system which was recording their behavior.

So many implications . . . the mind boggles . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Maybe it really is too late
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
how did they try to destroy the cctv system?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:37 PM »
how did they try to destroy the cctv system?

The video shows one of the cameras being ripped down, and another being covered with a cloth or something, by officers.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »
Happened 30 miles from my town, I was a bit irked when I first heard the news, then read this article. I dug a bit deeper and most everyone in the house had a prior, or current warrant for their arrest. Drugs in the house, stolen material in the house, known gun in the house.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »
Don't care.   If the police are doing their jobs properly then they should have no fear of video cameras.   None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Only if they are or are planning to do wrong should they fear being taped.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
Maybe they were concerned the perps inside could watch and hide from the police movements. Ankeny, Iowa police aren't they jack boot thugs this article puts them out to be. They are saem police force that recently arrested a man staying in a hotel that was screwing his underage children. They broke up a craigslist prostitution ring, they aren't the over zealous PD that feels the need to break out full battle rattle everytime.

Most people complain about them in enforcing speed zones on I-35 when it drops from 70-65 through town, then to 60 as it gets near the I-80/I-35/I-235 mixmaster and folks still like to cruise on through at 80mph.

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »
Gonna get all realistic? Statist!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 12:03:44 AM »
Didn't read the article, but I'll mention, as someone with formal training in building clearing,  if you are doing one and you see surveillance equipment you destroy or disable it as soon as possible because, as Charby pointed out, it could be being used to observe your movements and direct opposition to tactically advantageous positions.

So, if a tactical entry is warranted the destruction of the cameras is pretty much SOP.  It also shows more professionalism then PD's normally use in these entries. So kudos to them.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
As much of a fan as I am not of no-knock warrants, it makes little sense to set up an entry and leave the cameras functioning.

That said, the idea over a full no knock raid over property stolen in a non violent fashion boggles my mind. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »
As much of a fan as I am not of no-knock warrants, it makes little sense to set up an entry and leave the cameras functioning.

That said, the idea over a full no knock raid over property stolen in a non violent fashion boggles my mind. 

why?
the evidence in these crimes is possibly the easiest to destroy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
Ankeny, Iowa police aren't they jack boot thugs this article puts them out to be
Most police aren't, until they are.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »
why?

Wow - that logic just boggles my mind
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
why?

'Murica.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »
why?

Risk Assessment and Composite Risk Management.

The outcome (Arrest, trial and conviction of thief) isn't worth the risk to officers, bystanders and citizens that are, as yet, innocent of wrongdoing.  How easy the evidence is to destroy is pretty far down the list on reasons to stack and clear a building for anyone with a modicum of professionalism.

And before you start with your "in my experience"  I have actual training in building clearing as well as training in determining risk and applying risk management in a combat environment.  Law Enforcement in the US *expletive deleted*s it up much more often then they get it right.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
why?

Morally the concept of violently arresting people for non violent offenses is reprehensible.  Period..  That's why.   I'm sure your next move is to jack this thread with anecdotal evidence of why the police state is a good thing.

So should law enforcement have to initiate a violent confrontation with everyone who breaks any law? Because that's what a tactical entry is.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »

So should law enforcement have to initiate a violent confrontation with everyone who breaks any law?

More accurately:

Should law enforcement initiate a violent confrontation PRIOR TO ATTEMPTS AT CIVIL ARREST PROCEDURES with everyone who breaks any law?

They're really not that far away from just shooting anyone in any no-knock situation on presumption of guilt.  If the suspects really are THAT dangerous and society is white-knighting these tactics by SWAT teams, it is basically society saying that the suspects have no continued value to society anyways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
Yeah, might as well just hit the house with a missle from a drone on suspicion of overdue libray books.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
Yeah, might as well just hit the house with a missle from a drone on suspicion of overdue libray books.
or put a few hundred rounds through the backside of a (black)truck in a traffic stop, just in case...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »

or put a few hundred rounds through the backside of a (black)truck in a traffic stop, just in case...

Wastrels. A couple of well-placed flashbangs or teargas canisters to light the place/vehicle up would be much cheaper.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
Suspicion of credit card fraud = no knock raid.

"Well your Honor, Billy Bob was suspected of shoplifting and his Dad has a conceal carry permit, so of course we needed to bust his door down at 0300. Officer safety!"

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
Suspicion of credit card fraud = no knock raid.

"Well your Honor, Billy Bob was suspected of shoplifting and his Dad has a conceal carry permit, so of course we needed to bust his door down at 0300. Officer safety!"

I think that was the main point of the article to get people railed up over some loose facts. There was more to the story in the end then just credit card fraud.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
I think that was the main point of the article to get people railed up over some loose facts. There was more to the story in the end then just credit card fraud.

Was that what the warrant was for?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Risk Assessment and Composite Risk Management.

The outcome (Arrest, trial and conviction of thief) isn't worth the risk to officers, bystanders and citizens that are, as yet, innocent of wrongdoing.  How easy the evidence is to destroy is pretty far down the list on reasons to stack and clear a building for anyone with a modicum of professionalism.

And before you start with your "in my experience"  I have actual training in building clearing as well as training in determining risk and applying risk management in a combat environment.  Law Enforcement in the US *expletive deleted* it up much more often then they get it right.

when you cleared em was preserving evidence on your list?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »
when you cleared em was preserving evidence on your list?

Actually yes, at least on the raids I did in Iraq.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
How would one do that with knocking in a way that woukd keep someone from wiping a hard drive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk