Author Topic: Any garden plants so poisonous they will kill rabbits that nibble them?  (Read 1109 times)

sumpnz

• friend
My Shepherd, Kenai, loves the hunt.  Not always the kill or the eating.  We don’t usually know about the rabbits he gets as he does eat them.  But the mice and moles and such he seems to find weird and not totally desirable for eating.  It’s kind of funny watching him with those critters.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Steve killed these rockchucks in seconds. Grabbed them by the neck, shook them, and that was that. Vicious growls. Didn't seem interested in eating them.  He chases rabbits, but it seems like more of a fun pastime for him - he playfully barks as he chases them. I don't think he actually wants to catch them. He has brought live ducks back before, fairly unharmed. He catches and eats snow geese. He catches and tosses around voles and gophers and such for play. Unless they are in the backyard. That is the cat's territory and Steve knows better than to mess with Barney, who usually catches a gopher or vole per day.

He chased a fox around once for like 20 minutes. I think the fox was playing him, because the fox kept running back and forth through my paddock fences in loops, when he could have easily gone through a main fence and gotten away (which he eventually did).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Det Cord?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
For the most part Pb is right.  While there are a few exceptions, in general wild animals and even livestock won’t eat anything poisonous or even irritating to them so long as they have abundant sources of their normal food.  A starving animal is different, that kind of stress causes all kinds of otherwise irrational behaviors.  But it’s why intentional poisoning can be difficult.  You have to mask the taste of the poison so they consume enough to get a fatal dose before they figure out the poison is there.

Does not obviate my statement: "Not so.  Chocolate for dogs, poinsettias for cats, mushrooms for humans come to mind."

IOW there are poisons which don't taste bad.

Humans have the advantage that if one human catches on to the poisoning, it can be communicated human to human in plain language:  "Don't ingest that amanita phalloides, it'll kill you just as it killed Og The Cave Chief."

RoadKingLarry on moving the scarecrow owl:

"I move it around regularly in an attempt for the vermin not to get used to it but it doesn't seem to make much difference."

They're onto you.  "Never patrol on a regular schedule."

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:45:40 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.