Author Topic: DeWalt Cordless 20v Tools - What Works With What?  (Read 611 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
DeWalt Cordless 20v Tools - What Works With What?
« on: December 09, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
So last year I started switching to the DeWalt 20v system (was (and still am) using the 18v tools). Due to my crappy research methods, I have 20v max tools, 20v max/xr tools, and just recently, a 20v flexvolt circular saw*.

I have been looking all over for some kind of chart that lists the tools, chargers, batteries, and what is compatible with what. My gazooglefoo has failed. Does anyone know of such a chart?

*Some of my poorest research. Until I got it, I was unaware of how doggy these bigger saws are on even the bigger XR batteries. My 18v circular saw was running circles around this thing. I ended up watching youtube videos with guys running different batteries through the saw, and unless you're using at least a 6amp Flexvolt, the saw is doggy and binds up like it's an old 12v saw. I just bought the proper battery for it yesterday which cost as much as the saw did. The saw is running the way I expect it to now though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: DeWalt Cordless 20v Tools - What Works With What?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 11:11:58 AM »
All I know for sure is I got the 14" trimmer and it works fine.  Uses the same batteries as the chainsaw my Dad bought. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 11:13:44 AM »
That is the downside of DeWalt they have a lot of confusion about their batteries and what works in what. I’m not sure myself.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 11:37:50 AM »
As best as I can figure all the 20V stuff is part of the 20V MAX* line.  They add an "XR" to the higher capacity batteries to denote Xtended Runtime.  But all the 20V stuff is 20V MAX*

The Flexvolt stuff (40V and 60V) are built to automatically since if you jammed them into a 20V tool, and switch over to paralleling some of the cells (to give you 20V and a lot of capacity)

So if you have a 20V MAX* tool, you can slam a 20V, 20V XR, 40V Flex, or 60V Flex in it and it should work.  If you have a 40V or 60V tool, you need the corresponding battery pack for it.

if you still have 14.4V or 18V sell them and get the lithium stuff.

Disclaimer:  it is a bit confusing and I could be off on the Flexvolt stuff, I don't have any of that, but I think that's how it works.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
Well, I'm sorta glad to see it's confusing to people more experienced than me.  :laugh:

I ended up writing all my model numbers down and then going through youtube reviews similar to what I did with the circular saw. It seems everything I have works well with every battery I have. The circular saw is what got me asking this question, and it was the only tool I own where the test videos showed a really significant difference between batteries.

Those Flexvolt batteries are humongous though. It's okay on the circular saw, but I'd hate to be putting in longer sessions with a drill or grinder and Flexvolt vs with a smaller XR battery.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 09:06:26 AM »
Tangent: While I gave away my 14v stuff, I still have several 18v tools that I can't bring myself to get rid of. I see DeWalt has an 18v to 20v converter that lets you run the 18v stuff on 20v batteries.

Does anyone have experience with it?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
Tangent: While I gave away my 14v stuff, I still have several 18v tools that I can't bring myself to get rid of. I see DeWalt has an 18v to 20v converter that lets you run the 18v stuff on 20v batteries.

Does anyone have experience with it?

18V Lithium, or 18V NiCad?  Lots of manufacturers talk about "dual chemistry" chargers, but I've used both the Craftsman and the Dewalt version, and they killed my NiCad batteries.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 09:51:20 AM »
18V Lithium, or 18V NiCad?  Lots of manufacturers talk about "dual chemistry" chargers, but I've used both the Craftsman and the Dewalt version, and they killed my NiCad batteries.
I think he's talking about the adapters that let you plug a 20v lithium cell into an 18v tool.  You'd use the regular 20v charger on the battery.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
This thing:

https://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/batteries/18v-to-20v-adapter/dca1820

I've never used one but this line makes me nervous:
Do not use with premium DEWALT batteries in DC970 or DC759 tools.

Bunch of one star reviews too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
Yeah, okay - that was a quick answer. When the manufacturer has warnings, I kinda worry.  :laugh: