Author Topic: Friendly, foul mouthed and poops on stuff  (Read 814 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Friendly, foul mouthed and poops on stuff
« on: December 10, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »
Friendly, foul-mouthed crow befriends entire Oregon elementary school before state police are called in

https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2021/12/friendly-foul-mouthed-crow-befriends-entire-oregon-elementary-school-before-state-police-are-called-in.html

Story seems more like a flight of fancy. Is the Oregonian worth anything more than lining the bottom of a bird cage?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Friendly, foul mouthed and poops on stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
Years ago, the Oregonian used to be the paper of record in Oregon.  It wasn't all that bad, and kept most of the opinion articles in the editorial section.
It's main competitor was the Oregon Journal, now long gone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 12:23:41 AM »
I can't believe no one around there figured out it was a semi-tame bird. I don't know about OR but here in NV we just don't get that many crows with a 40 word vocabulary that like to hang out around people and be hand fed.

Growing up there was always someone who had a pet crow or magpie.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 01:40:24 AM »
Reminds me of this cartoon.

Living room.  Couch.  No people.  Parrot in cage near the couch. Caption:  "Awwk!  Your hands are cold, Joe.  Awk! Your hands are cold, Joe."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 07:43:23 AM »
I love crows and ravens. They are the coolest birds.

Years ago I got semi-friendly with a flock that hung out on the lawn of the office where I was working. I'd eat my lunch on the porch and would toss them peanuts in the shell. It was fun to watch them work the peanuts out of the shells.

It finally got to the point where a couple of the young ones would come right up to me and take a peanut out of my fingers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
My buddy nursed a crow back to health in his garage one spring. Not sure what was wrong with it but after a while he got strong enough to fly and left.

He did hang out around the neighborhood that summer though.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 01:26:23 PM »
I found a magpie with no tail wandering around my balcony and assumed it was injured.  Took it in, fed and watered it, called animal control, they told me young magpies have no tails, it was learning to fly. So it ended up on the balcony after a sortie.

Put it back on the balcony and it was gone within a couple of hours.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 06:58:57 PM »
I love crows and ravens. They are the coolest birds.

Years ago I got semi-friendly with a flock that hung out on the lawn of the office where I was working. I'd eat my lunch on the porch and would toss them peanuts in the shell. It was fun to watch them work the peanuts out of the shells.

It finally got to the point where a couple of the young ones would come right up to me and take a peanut out of my fingers.

Crows I don’t mind.  Ravens are another matter.  I’ve lost way too many chickens to predation by ravens, so they are decidedly unwelcome at my property.  I’d shoot them were it legal to do so when they’re preying on my birds.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 10:05:24 PM »
I used to hunt crows every winter around Ft Cobb, Oklahoma. I remember reading that in the 60s-80 they would have a winter population of 8 million plus birds. The farmers were more than glad to let you shoot them. You *might* get in one good day and then that field would be worthless. The crows would not come back after killing a few of them. The crows were so plentiful and so destructive that the peanut farmers would provide you ammo to shoot. Those were the golden days of crow hunting around there. I hear that now that the crows are nevermore around there.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 10:44:17 PM »
"Ravens are another matter.  I’ve lost way too many chickens to predation by ravens, so they are decidedly unwelcome at my property.  I’d shoot them were it legal to do so when they’re preying on my birds."

Most places have provisions for protecting livestock by firearm.  depends on zoning and wording of the laws.  Might be worth investigating that.  Also, many air rifles are accurate and powerful enough to either kill them or scare them off. Hey, your chickens are your food source, right?

And there are also slingshots with marbles.  They make enough disturbance even if you miss to spook them.  Careful you don't hit a chicken, though.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 11:50:23 PM »
Ravens are federally protected.  You can get a permit to shoot them I think, but it’s hard to get.

Crows are not so protected.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 01:20:24 AM »
Ravens are federally protected.  You can get a permit to shoot them I think, but it’s hard to get.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut up toss the carcass on your roof, the others will stay away for quite a while. Or so I have heard. ;)

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »
<rant>
Sometimes I wonder on what grounds species become protected.

I'm not up on the latest situation, but there was a flap about one particular sub-species of prairie dog being a "candidate" for the protected list, thus making it illegal to hunt them.  It was really hard for the non-biologist to tell the difference, I think it was in the tail coloration, but all in all, prairie dogs were all over the place in vast colonies and vast numbers.

I had quit hunting them myself by then because of infirmities and the bureaucratic BS from the Division Of Wildlife involved in hunting varmints, so I quit following the issue, but all this made me question anything to do with "endangered" species.

It almost looked like the do-gooders were looking for any excuse to place species on the endangered or candidate for endangered species lists.  Especially if they were cute and fuzzy.

<snarl>
<growl>
</rant>

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »

Uhm... that's not the case. Crows are covered under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty act, same as Ravens.

But "Under the act, crows can be controlled without rules and regulations when they attempt depredations upon livestock, crops, wildlife, shade, or ornamental trees, or when crows in flocks contribute to spreading health hazard diseases or other nuisances."

https://www.backtobirds.com/are-crows-protected/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
Uhm... that's not the case. Crows are covered under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty act, same as Ravens a thousand or so other species , such as Hummingbirds and Robins .

But "Under the act, crows can be controlled without rules and regulations when they attempt depredations upon livestock, crops, wildlife, shade, or ornamental trees, or when crows in flocks contribute to spreading health hazard diseases or other nuisances."

FTFY

Which goes back to Terry's post. Why don't we just make everything protected. I used to hunt wolves in ID and even with that being legal you still have to deal with the whacked out fur-lovers who have never seen a horse or other livestock taken down by a predator.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 02:36:33 PM »
Uhm... that's not the case. Crows are covered under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty act, same as Ravens.

Whenever someone I knew was shooting crows growing up, it was always one of those exceptions.   :-X   [tinfoil]

In this case, "Jake says thank you."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 03:08:06 PM »
Crows are “protected”.  Ravens are actually protected.  I can shoot crows with impunity by claiming depredations if anyone asks/cares.  Ravens I can’t use that excuse.
Formerly sumpnz