Author Topic: Tornadoes  (Read 1660 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tornadoes
« on: December 11, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
I'm seeing some pretty significant destruction this morning across several states where I know APS members live. You guys want to check in and let us know how you're doing?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Tornadoes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
Reported likely over 50 dead here in Kentucky.
I'm in the Louisville area and we got just got a bunch of wind and rain, some power lines down. They're saying at least 4 tornadoes in Ky with one on the ground for over 200 miles. Was watching that one get closer and closer but it slid to the south and faded before getting here.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 10:51:45 AM »
Mayfield
https://www.wdrb.com/news/devastation-images-reveal-severe-storm-damage-in-mayfield-kentucky/article_6261c15e-5a88-11ec-a3de-93957062b84f.html

Reported there were 110 people in the candle factory there when it was hit. "Dozens" reported dead.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 10:57:23 AM »
Southern part of Illinois hammered but we are north 1/3rd. Very high winds during the night and until this afternoon here. We have some branches and smaller limbs down and my barn doors were latched but banging all night. When I got on the highway a mile from the house I had to drive around a piece of roof with nails and all laying in the middle of our lane.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
Lot of rain during the sleeping hours and now that the front passed us here between Dayton and Columbus Ohio, it’s windy as hell.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 12:26:06 PM »
Very high winds in NW IN, little rain.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 01:51:20 PM »
https://fox4kc.com/news/multiple-workers-trapped-after-collapse-at-amazon-warehouse-in-edwardsville/
2 workers killed after collapse at Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville

I guess this might be related. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
I was watching the weather channel last night - for the first time I can remember they were showing a (mostly) red map with a very defined green dot in the red field - they said the radar was looking at the debris cloud - either vegetation or pieces of structures being sucked up into the air by an active tornado.

I'd hate to see something like that headed my way - I hope some people in the target area had enough warning from this and were able to take shelter.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 03:32:27 PM »
I was watching the weather channel last night - for the first time I can remember they were showing a (mostly) red map with a very defined green dot in the red field - they said the radar was looking at the debris cloud - either vegetation or pieces of structures being sucked up into the air by an active tornado.

I'd hate to see something like that headed my way - I hope some people in the target area had enough warning from this and were able to take shelter.

Was watching the local weather talking heads showing a radar detected debris cloud headed my way for almost 2 hours last night. One described it as the radar reflecting off stuff in the air that shouldn't be there. Yeah, it was not fun night watching that green glob get closer and closer.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 03:55:23 PM »
Mayfield, KY Daylight Drone Footage Aftermath - 12/11/2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9b7nsJ_M6c&t=2s
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
With a 227 mile long ground track we may have a new record holder.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
Oh for *expletive deleted*s's sake.

Sorry Kentucky. Maybe if your 2 senators hadn't spent decades blocking legislation to reduce climate change, you wouldn't be suffering from climate disasters. If it's any consolation, McConnell and Rand have f'ed over all of us, too.

— Noel Scovell (@NellSco) December 11, 2021
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/12/11/imagine-being-this-unhinged-blue-check-writer-explains-whos-to-blame-for-tornado-devastation/

Instant Regret! Hollywood Director Says Kentucky DESERVED Disaster Because Of How They Vote!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3DgOEsYQ7U
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 05:12:43 PM »
Yikes

Video of the tornado that went through Bremen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qyxnyagzL8
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 06:58:44 PM »
I remember there being a line from Tennessee up through northern Ohio back on April 3, 1974...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 07:08:41 PM »
I remember there being a line from Tennessee up through northern Ohio back on April 3, 1974...

I remember that day very well. 148 confirmed tornadoes with ~30 of them F4/F5s.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
Now saying death toll could go over 100 in Ky
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 07:43:44 PM »
From the videos a lot of the houses were on slabs. Not a good match for tornado ally.

It's going to be a while until they have solid numbers. After Joplin, a friend of mine took a leave to search for his daughter. It was weeks before she was found.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »
Wind and rain here but nothing to get excited about here in Shreveport, LA.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
Yikes

Video of the tornado that went through Bremen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qyxnyagzL8

There is nothing scarier than a nighttime tornado backlit by lightning.  BTDT.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 08:24:15 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 08:26:11 PM »
More drone views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMAmxP5cgs

Good Lord.  If there were craters, it would look like bomb damage in Germany after WWII.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 09:43:37 PM »
Hundreds of people are missing in Mayfield after a swarm of tornadoes ripped across the United States, killing dozens in Kentucky and neighboring states.

There were around 100 workers working at a Mayfield candle factory at the time the tornado hit the town of 9,800. Only 40 people had been rescued as of early Saturday morning.
https://www.wave3.com/2021/12/12/search-rescue-efforts-continue-after-tornado-strikes-mayfield/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 09:50:27 PM »

Joe Biden thinks a Hurricane hit Kentucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbk8WGUcCmQ&t=48s
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 10:26:03 PM »
12-11-2021 Dawson Springs, Ky destroyed by massive tornado- drone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzoSADijLCQ
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
From the videos a lot of the houses were on slabs. Not a good match for tornado ally.

It's going to be a while until they have solid numbers. After Joplin, a friend of mine took a leave to search for his daughter. It was weeks before she was found.
What common home construction would be better?  I know there are designs that are resistant, but those are normally more expensive.  I guess the question would be what is better that subdivisions are likely to see.

Down here, everyone builds on a slab and 3 to 5 feet up on a pad to avoid flooding.  Tornadoes aren't exactly rare, but hurricanes and flooding happen a lot more. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge