Author Topic: Just read an amazing story  (Read 574 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Just read an amazing story
« on: December 12, 2021, 01:07:30 AM »
https://onjustonebreath.com/

I had never even heard of this competition. This woman is superb -- more or less superhuman.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Just read an amazing story
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 03:49:21 AM »
Site creator sorely lacking in communication skills.

Got to the whizzy-dizzy one after she submerged her dolls and finally inferred that this was just another Evel Knievel contest, where you try to get as close to dying as possible without actually croaking, and clicked out.

Y' know, Houdini damned near drowned while doing his upside-down submerged escape stunt. The best-laid plans of mice an men go oft awry.*

I would like a linear 50-word executive summary.

Terry, 230RN

* Courtesy Robert Burns, To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:28:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 07:08:58 AM »
"I would like a linear 50-word executive summary."

Woman sad. Woman contemplate suicide. Woman dives deep and finds new purpose.

There you go. 12 words.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 08:30:55 AM »
What the human body can do with training is really amazing. When I was diving all the time at work, I could do 3 minutes, non-exertion. I just now tried it cold after not training for years and got 1.75 minutes. I could probably still get back to 3 minutes, but not much farther.

I read that Tom Cruise got to 6.5 minutes for his role in Mission Impossible. The static apnea record is almost 12 minutes. Interestingly, with pre-dive oxygen, that goes to 24 minutes. I can't even imagine 24 minutes without breathing.

https://thesaltsirens.com/current-freediving-records/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks for the 12 words, K Frame.  I set 50 as a maximum.  My executive comment would be "If that's her new purpose in life she should re-examine that life anyhow sans suicidal tendencies."

Ben testified,

"What the human body can do with training is really amazing. When I was diving all the time at work, I could do 3 minutes, non-exertion. I just now tried it cold after not training for years and got 1.75 minutes. I could probably still get back to 3 minutes, but not much farther." 

I'm kind of curious what effect altitude might have on that (apart from pre-saturation with pure O2).  If the blood is saturated with O2) at high altitude, is that any different from saturation at low altitude?  At sea level the partial pressure of O2) is 152 Torr, at my house near Golden CO, it's only about 132 Torr.

And how much does trained acclimation to the need to get rid of CO2) count in all this? (As I understand it, it's the need to get rid of CO2) which drives the need to breathe.)

As I recall, as a teeny-bopper, before I started to smoke, I could do a little over 2 minutes (sea level). Of course, that was New York City "air". =D

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 11:40:45 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
"My executive comment would be "If that's her new purpose in life she should re-examine that life anyhow sans suicidal tendencies.""

Little judgy mcjudgy face, don't you think?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »
When I was a kid, a couple of summers we had pool memberships.

Some of us used to go sit on the bottom and see how long it would take to get the lifeguard to come after us.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 06:33:12 AM »
"My executive comment would be "If that's her new purpose in life she should re-examine that life anyhow sans suicidal tendencies.""

Little judgy mcjudgy face, don't you think?

Well, aren't you all McJudgy-face now, aren't you?

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »
Well, aren't you all McJudgy-face now, aren't you?

:rofl:

I make absolutely NO pretense about it. I'm a busy person. I pass judgement and I move on.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
Ah, yes, the executive comment.  Looks like we're on the same page.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 01:22:22 AM »
Ben testified,

"What the human body can do with training is really amazing. When I was diving all the time at work, I could do 3 minutes, non-exertion. I just now tried it cold after not training for years and got 1.75 minutes. I could probably still get back to 3 minutes, but not much farther."

I'm kind of curious what effect altitude might have on that (apart from pre-saturation with pure O2).  If the blood is saturated with O2) at high altitude, is that any different from saturation at low altitude?  At sea level the partial pressure of O2) is 152 Torr, at my house near Golden CO, it's only about 132 Torr.

And how much does trained acclimation to the need to get rid of CO2) count in all this? (As I understand it, it's the need to get rid of CO2) which drives the need to breathe.)

As I recall, as a teeny-bopper, before I started to smoke, I could do a little over 2 minutes (sea level). Of course, that was New York City "air". =D

Terry, 230RN