Author Topic: Jeep Gladiator  (Read 706 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Jeep Gladiator
« on: December 12, 2021, 07:04:45 PM »
I'm not looking for one, but am just curious about them. Over the last month or two, I have seen them popping up everywhere here. I mean a lot of them. I'm wondering if it's regional popularity or if these things are popular everywhere?

They look fun, but checking current dealer stock, the cheapest ones are $45K and the average seems to be around $55K. I could get either a TRD Sport 4Runner or a pretty decked out F150 4WD for what the base (Sport?) model Gladiator is selling for, so am just curious about their popularity (at least around here) at the prices they are selling for.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Jeep Gladiator
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 07:09:13 PM »
I see a bunch of them in central FL. I think people like the drop top/doors of the jeep with a good mallcrawler bed.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 08:18:37 PM »
I want one but I’m not paying the price for one.

I also think Jeep would be well served by building a Gladiator type vehicle on a full size truck frame too. I like the looks of the Wranglers and Gladiators a lot but I really favor the comfort and size of my full-size pickup truck and you are going to have to dangle a really tasty lure in front of me to get me away from a 1/2 ton crew cab. 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 08:22:03 PM »
Seeing more of them all the time. IMO the wheelbase is too long for the serious off road trails but then again most wranglers (and gladiators) never leave pavement.
Jeep renewed the reg trademark on the scrambler name and there is speculation that a 2 door may be forthcoming. Wheelbase closer to the unlimited 4 door wrangler. I find this much more interesting, myself.
Jeep is still crazy priced for the niche market but the new ford bronco might force some competitive pricing.
3 years ago I bought my used 2014 JKUR and I found out last week I could expect to sell it for what I paid for it. 60k miles on a rubicon “X” stock except for a mild suspension kit and a warn 10k winch up front in the steel 10a bumper.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »

I also think Jeep would be well served by building a Gladiator type vehicle on a full size truck frame too. I like the looks of the Wranglers and Gladiators a lot but I really favor the comfort and size of my full-size pickup truck and you are going to have to dangle a really tasty lure in front of me to get me away from a 1/2 ton crew cab.

A Gladiator built on the 1/2 ton RAM platform would be neat.  Especially in T-Rex trim.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 08:33:59 PM »
I like my 2 door Sahara, it's rare that I find myself wishing it had a little more cargo space but it does happen. I like the Gladiator and wouldn't mind having one if someone was to give it to me sans taxes and payments.

Jeep renewed the reg trademark on the scrambler name and there is speculation that a 2 door may be forthcoming.
There has been speculation about a full sized truck for many years but it never quite seems to materialize.

If Jeep were to build a modernized version of the full size Gladiator truck and make it as tough as this I bet they could sell every damn one that rolled off the line.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 08:57:26 PM »
Modern, with the creature comforts people want, and as tough as that is a quarter million dollar truck.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
Bring back the old straight six... WIth a better transmission.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 09:07:58 PM »

The new "Gladiator" isn't a truck, it's a "life style vehicle." And it's obscenely over-priced.

As a long-time Jeep guy, my view is that Jeep promised us a pickup truck, and instead they gave us an updated Scrambler with the name of a pickup truck attached to it. If I were shopping for a pickup today, I'd be looking at Ford F250s. Jeep can kiss my rump -- they don't make anything today that's worthy of the name "Jeep."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 09:12:07 PM »
Modern, with the creature comforts people want, and as tough as that is a quarter million dollar truck.

I'm guessing they could sell at a profit in the $75K - $100K range and still sell everyone they built.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 09:14:46 PM »
So these are kinda pavement queens, sorta like when people were buying H3s? I'm thinking that I've never seen an H3 offroad (really offroad, vs parked at the lake).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »
I've got a TJ. Not a fan of anything newer. Too expensive, they have gotten too heavy, too many gadgets to fail, The new motors are meh, V6 has no low end torque and the diesel is underwhelming.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 09:29:25 PM »
So these are kinda pavement queens, sorta like when people were buying H3s? I'm thinking that I've never seen an H3 offroad (really offroad, vs parked at the lake).

I'm seeing them around.

In this area, I see a metric boatload of old (original) Cherokees, YJ Wranglers (the square headlight model), and TJ Wranglers that are totally encrusted in mud and looking like they haven't been washed in fifty years. The new Wranglers, and now these so-called "Gladiators," always look like they just drove off the showroom floor.

Jeep used to test each new model by driving a test vehicle across the Rubicon Trail. The last one they did that with was either the original Liberty, or the 1999 Grand Cherokee. Whichever one it was (I think it was the Liberty), it was such a disaster that Jeep ended the tradition of proving new vehicles on the Rubicon Trail. Instead, they built a mini obstacle course at some proving ground, drive new models through that, and award them the coveted "Trail Rated" badge. As near as I can determine, "Trail Rated" means it can back out of the garage without having a flat tire or exploding the transfer case.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:11:07 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
They're like everything else these days.

They're wearing a costume.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 04:25:45 AM »

A lot of them are, but I've seen a couple off road too.  The overlanding crowd likes them for being a bit bigger than a Wrangler, but still compact.

I was camped out in Jennings State Forest a couple months ago and a pair of Gladiators showed up to share the spot. You had to ford a bit of a creek and a couple mud holes to get there.  I also pulled one out of a waterhole in Ocala National Forest last spring.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 07:07:19 AM »
Bring back the old straight six... WIth a better transmission.
Amen brother. The 4,0 was a great motor.
What we have here is failure to communicate.