Author Topic: Decluttering/Decabling the nightstands  (Read 359 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Decluttering/Decabling the nightstands
« on: December 13, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
Our nightstands seem to be perpetually too small by that much. Yeah, I know, stop putting all that crap on it, but whatever. Also, with the power strip and associated phone chargers/cables, it's just a mess. I took a chance on a couple of Tripp Lite power strips with integrated USB jacks and they have worked out extremely well. With these, a 2" hole saw, and a couple of passthrough grommets, I've completely eliminated the topside mess. I put two ports in the back of each nightstand and snaked all the cables through. Adding a 90-degree plug adapter lets me push the nightstands all the way to the wall. Now there's nothing visible except few inches of clock power cord and a single USB cable from behind the nightstand. All other cabling clutter is gone. The USB jacks serve up plenty of power, too. They will charge my phone as quickly as my Samsung fast-charger wall wart. The only downside is they have no provisions for mounting.

Power Strip with USB
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Insurance-TLM446USBB/dp/B07KQXXKPQ/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rp_c_2_2/136-7779839-7910566?pd_rd_w=Knz9H&pf_rd_p=ea4c61f8-82f0-45ed-80f2-188a75a3e925&pf_rd_r=N9FBKC70ETZV0V1XZRXW&pd_rd_r=95497326-79ac-4ca2-ba1c-e5800126f5fd&pd_rd_wg=1DK93&pd_rd_i=B07KQXXKPQ&psc=1

Right Angle 1' Extension
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073F8NY83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The power strips worked so well I got a couple of these for my parent's guest room nightstands.

Charging Station
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MCVOMFY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This application needed more muliti-user flexibility than the setup at home would provide, thus the choice of a topside unit. The power cable is thick and very stiff but otherwise the units work extremely well in for such limited space. Same USB fast charging, plus two handy AC jacks right at bedside. They're also heavy enough they don't go sliding around at the slightest provocation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Decluttering/Decabling the nightstands
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
Looking at your links, it occurred to me that I have a battery backup for my CPAP sitting there and it probably has USB charging ports I am not using.   :facepalm: 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:16:02 PM »
I replaced the outlet beside my nightstand with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3PMU4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An outlet with two auxillary USB ports.

I have my charging stand plugged into it for my phone, and I have a USB cable plugged into the other port to charge my kindle and my bluetooth speaker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:32:46 AM »
I Zip-Tie my power strips to the back leg of the night stand to keep it off the floor where the dang cat can step on it killing the power to all attached devices and making it easier to plug/unplug stuff in it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!