Author Topic: New tires for 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport  (Read 686 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New tires for 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
« on: December 14, 2021, 03:16:58 PM »
At 50K miles, the stock tires need replacing soon.  Here is a list of tires available for shipment to my local Costco tire shop.  Since you all are much smarter than I, what would you recommend for a Tacoma that primarily drives on city streets and Forest Service roads and rarely hauls a heavy load or tows anything more than a motorcycle trailer.

Bridgestone - ALENZA AS ULTRA

Michelin - Defender LTX M/S

Michelin - Premier LTX

Michelin - X LT A/S

BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport LT

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: New tires for 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
I like BFG's on my trucks, but I've never used the Advantage line.  For your listed uses I'm not sure I'd go with a LT tire either.

Of those, the Defender LTX M/S has the best score on Tire Rack, and the reviews seem positive.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M%2FS&partnum=665TR7DLTX&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Tacoma%204WD&autoModClar=Double%20Cab#RatingsReviews

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on Wife's CR-V.  They are good tires, wearing well and good traction in all weather.  But they are noisier than she likes.  (and she's the one that wanted Michelins)

You might look into Nokian tires.  I put Nokian eNTyres on my Ford Focus a few years ago and they are some of the best tires I've ever had.  I'll have to check, but I think they have the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol which means they are rated for severe snow service.  They are also extended load, which would be good on a pickup.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »
I used to run Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and my F350. A few years ago they renamed them and must have done something else to them. The ride noise and quality went down.

After doing some research I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S on both vehicles when replacing tires. I am very, very happy with them. Ride quality improved, noise went down and as a bonus they are loaded with factory siping which really help in those slick situations like rain, light snow, ice or mud. IIRC they also have a 60K wear warranty. They will be my go to tire from now on or until they decide to "improve" them.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
Does it have to be Costco?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
I think it is Cooper tires I got on my Tacoma TRD 4x4.  I ended up just looking through the ratings and reviews on Discount Tire's website.  These seem to be lasting okay after about 10K miles.  Not a lot of noise or traction issues. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »
If you're shopping Costco, go Revos. They show up when I put your truck in. I used to use them all the time in CA and replaced the stock tires on my F150 with them last year. They are awesome in rain and still ride quiet on the road. They are made pretty much for what you stated you do.

My 4Runner is running Hankook ATM LT/Es right now, but I am going to probably go BFG LT/Cs on it in the next time around to still get some LT oomph with a little less weight. Hardly anyone makes an LT tire in a C rating.

Otherwise if you don't like the Revos, I will put in the same as those other guys about the LTX tires. They are good, long wearing tires. They were the stock tires on my F150. I went to the Revos only because of better light offroad and wet performance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 04:12:55 PM »
Ran Michelin LTX M/S on the old truck. Two sets. Good tires. Started a little noise towards end of life, but not terrible. Will probably go to them on the new truck when factory tires need replacing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 05:22:50 PM »
I've got the Advantage TA sport LT on my Silverado now. Good in wet, OK in snow, but they aren't lasting like previous BFG tires have.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
I don't know where you are, but I use tires from Discount Tire on everything we own.  I've done business with them since 1981 and have always had good tires and outstanding service.  I don't work for them, or anyone else either, and won't get a kickback for an endorsement.  I just believe in their corporate philosophy and appreciate their business ethic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 03:58:59 PM »
I don't know where you are, but I use tires from Discount Tire on everything we own.  I've done business with them since 1981 and have always had good tires and outstanding service.  I don't work for them, or anyone else either, and won't get a kickback for an endorsement.  I just believe in their corporate philosophy and appreciate their business ethic.

Same here, mostly because they're right up the street, seem to do good work, and there's usually one semi-close to most anywhere we travel.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »
I’d say the Michelin ltx m/s are probably the best of those choices. Is Costco just for convenience? I’ve just today finished paying the price for not buying tires from a local shop. 3 years ago I bought a tire/wheel package from Discount Tire Direct. Seemed great, tires came mounted and balanced, just had to put them on. Fast forward to a week ago, when I noticed that 3 of the tires had significant dry rot on the sidewalls.

I called Michelin about their warranty and they told me I had to get a local tire shop to do an assessment and call them. They gave me a list of five places. Not one of the 5 were willing to look at tires they didn’t sell. Apparently after big box stores started selling Michelins all the little guys started getting screwed on warranty work because the big places will not do it. Next Michelin tried sending me to a truck center that sells their tires, I refused because chances are the place that mainly does dump truck tires isn’t going to have the right equipment for a Challenger.

In the end, they gave me 75% towards new tires that got put on at a Ford dealer yesterday. Their tech apparently couldn’t figure out how to do an alignment though, the numbers on their print out are all over the place.

Long story short, you’re probably better off paying just a little bit more at a local shop and having service available if you need it.