Author Topic: NYC going all Electric  (Read 1326 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
NYC going all Electric
« on: December 17, 2021, 03:09:37 PM »
Sometimes the sheer idiocy of those in charge just boggles the mind.

Outgoing wokester de Blassio will sign a bill put forth by the New York City Council that will ban gas (anything) in new buildings and buildings undergoing gut renovations in NYC.

I guess they checked the grid to make sure it will handle the increased power draw without upgrades? (probably not)

Maybe they calculated how much more CO2 spewing will occur in order to keep those coal fired plants going to feed in more power? (probably not)

Everything will get converted to electric, then they will realize solar and wind power can't generate enough electricity. When that happens they will cry for federal funding at the expense of states that have leadership with common sense.

de Blassio seems to be trying to push through all the stuff he can before being shown the door.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/in-significant-climate-change-action-new-york-city-bans-new-gas-hookups-173727046.html

bob

Jim147

• friends
Re: NYC going all Electric
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »
Yeah I laughed at that this morning.

How many new nuke plants they have going?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
Yeah I laughed at that this morning.

How many new nuke plants they have going?

One of the midwestern or western states would do well to create a regulatory environment where modern, standardized nuclear plants could be put in economically.  Any state that did so would likely become quite wealthy selling electricity to the coasts in the coming decades.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 04:28:24 PM »
One of the midwestern or western states would do well to create a regulatory environment where modern, standardized nuclear plants could be put in economically.  Any state that did so would likely become quite wealthy selling electricity to the coasts in the coming decades.

That is happening with coal fired plants in WY and NE, they are close to the Powder River Basin coal mines.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 05:04:08 PM »
Seems like the more I hear Leftist outlandish plans and ideas, the more convinced I become that they're out to create huge insoluble problems so that they can take over when the population is disgusted with the resulting crappy status quo and seeks a new regime.

It almost sounds like some kind of grand plan, doesn't it?

Nah, that's crazy talk.  I take it all back.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 05:18:42 PM »

I think this is the exact reason why Terra Power is building their experimental reactor in Wyoming.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 05:26:56 PM »
I think this is the exact reason why Terra Power is building their experimental reactor in Wyoming.

While I’m all for Nuclear energy. Terra Power is a perfect example of wealth transfer through government to already wealthy people. Supposedly the US government is paying half of the 4 Billion dollars to finance the reactor. The beneficiaries in the end are Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
This is one of the subjects that has me teetering more from believing that "they" are stupid to "they" are evil.  Pretty obvious that there's a shortage of power, coal decomissionings, nuke decomminssionings, hydropower dam removals, restrictions on construction of gas power plants.  So let's short power, and then add a bunch of consumption (electric car charging, electric truck charging, electric only houses.  So what then happens?  Citizens (read: subjects) unable to travel, cook, or stay warm absent electricity, which is short, and comes in via a "smart" meter which "they" can disconnect at will if one doesn't bend  the knee.  I hate being a conspiracy theorist, but come on!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 06:43:24 PM »
^ You have to stop thinking those paranoid thoughts.

They are only thinking of the Communal Good.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 07:06:17 PM »
Unless the woke coastal states muster enough votes in Congress to require the sane midwestern or western states that planned for the future to sell power to them at a loss . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 07:50:31 PM »
This is one of the subjects that has me teetering more from believing that "they" are stupid to "they" are evil.  Pretty obvious that there's a shortage of power, coal decomissionings, nuke decomminssionings, hydropower dam removals, restrictions on construction of gas power plants.  So let's short power, and then add a bunch of consumption (electric car charging, electric truck charging, electric only houses.  So what then happens?  Citizens (read: subjects) unable to travel, cook, or stay warm absent electricity, which is short, and comes in via a "smart" meter which "they" can disconnect at will if one doesn't bend  the knee.  I hate being a conspiracy theorist, but come on!

It’s a good thing modern oil economies are so individualised and decentralised! I mean can you imagine what America would look like, and how rigged wealth growth would be, if the oil economy were centrally controlled by large corporations that captured government institutions?

If we’d allowed that to happen, I’d bet American real wage growth would be stagnant, inflation would be insanely high, and the only beneficiaries of growth would be massive financial institutions backed by relationships with the oil that controls all modern energy supply.

Renewables like solar on your house are going to enslave you! Stay with independent oil, they’ll never use that to bleed you dry!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 08:40:11 PM »
Don't you cis-normal gay hating *expletive deleted*it lords know that if they can make 1 millionaire pay his fair share in taxes that they can upgrade the entire grid?

Idiots!

:rofl:

NYC -- California on the Hudson.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 08:43:29 PM »
Just hook a generator to AOC's mouth
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »
Talk about sour power...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 09:22:43 PM »
After I am elected, I'll have the Navy run reactors located at every major body of water.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
That works pretty good in at least keeping local emergency services working. Done with subs, aircraft carriers, LSTs, fired boilers, nuclear boilers.

Search engine term: <ship to shore power>

MIT has a whole online course on the subject.

Limitation:  Must be near navigable waters and I doubt ships could provide enough power for the whole grid.

Oh, and I bet those kWhrs are expensive as hell, but since when has the goobermink cared about that?  No problem, just raise the debt limit and print more paper bills, easy peasy, and you can apologize to your children and grandchildren for not putting a stop to that.

What was that excuse for failed governmental systems?? ? ? ?  Oh, yeah: "They didn't put the right people in power."

Ayup.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:17:15 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 05:04:59 PM »
After I am elected, I'll have the Navy run reactors located at every major body of water.

Admiral Rickover approves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyman_G._Rickover

That works pretty good in at least keeping local emergency services working. Done with subs, aircraft carriers, LSTs, fired boilers, nuclear boilers.

Limitation:  Must be near navigable waters and I doubt ships could provide enough power for the whole grid.

<snip>

Wouldn't need to be a ship borne reactor. A reactor plant off of a sub could almost be transported on a truck. TGs on the next load. Just need to provide for the cooling water at the site. and run the wires to hook it up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 05:07:33 PM »
It’s a good thing modern oil economies are so individualised and decentralised! I mean can you imagine what America would look like, and how rigged wealth growth would be, if the oil economy were centrally controlled by large corporations that captured government institutions?

If we’d allowed that to happen, I’d bet American real wage growth would be stagnant, inflation would be insanely high, and the only beneficiaries of growth would be massive financial institutions backed by relationships with the oil that controls all modern energy supply.

Renewables like solar on your house are going to enslave you! Stay with independent oil, they’ll never use that to bleed you dry!
Except all the things you mention are being pushed by BigGovt but against oil and gas and for solar and wind.  The BigGov limits on oil exploration, drilling, and production generally don't hurt the big companies, they hurt the smaller companies that do a lot of jobs supporting and supplying that activity.   When Obama was trying to shut down off shore oil exploration on the Gulf Coast, there were a ton of small businesses supporting that industry in Louisiana that were hurt badly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 05:10:39 PM »
Since they are politicians, I lean toward extremely short term thinking and likely someone doing a favor for the outgoing mayor.  He won't be around to see the consequences anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »
Except all the things you mention are being pushed by BigGovt but against oil and gas and for solar and wind.  The BigGov limits on oil exploration, drilling, and production generally don't hurt the big companies, they hurt the smaller companies that do a lot of jobs supporting and supplying that activity.   When Obama was trying to shut down off shore oil exploration on the Gulf Coast, there were a ton of small businesses supporting that industry in Louisiana that were hurt badly.

It’s almost as if Big oil companies have a lock on policy, and use that to do exactly what PEfarmer is afraid will happen with electricity supply.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 03:58:58 AM »
MechAg94 said,

"Since they are politicians, I lean toward extremely short term thinking and likely someone doing a favor for the outgoing mayor.  He won't be around to see the consequences anyway."

To me, that "short term thinking" is a direct long-term result of politicians constantly seeking re-election, re-election, re-election.

Meaning they have to keep servicing the short-term gimme gimme gimme thinking of their constituents to get re-elected  instead of using wisdom and long-term thinking.

Term limitations !

Terry, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
Considering the actions of various politicians - especially over the last few years - perhaps it's time to update Hanlon's Razor:

Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 03:44:23 PM »
Considering the actions of various politicians - especially over the last few years - perhaps it's time to update Hanlon's Razor:

Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice corruption.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 05:07:34 PM »
It’s almost as if Big oil companies have a lock on policy, and use that to do exactly what PEfarmer is afraid will happen with electricity supply.
I started out intending to say that the big oil companies make more money when the govt gets out of the way.  ....and so do a lot of other people. 

However, that doesn't mean that the executives running those companies actually have that as their priority.