Author Topic: Firearm auctions, the future?  (Read 606 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Firearm auctions, the future?
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:39:08 PM »
Having been watching Forgotten Weapons videos of RIA and James D. Julia for a long time and noticed that there are huge collections going up for auction. I've been wondering if we are in the prime time for firearm auctions. My thoughts are because most of the people who grew up collecting things like WW2 era guns are probably passing away. Those are the guns they grew up knowing and when they got older they were finally able to afford them, and now they are passing away and their collections are going up for auction. Are we in the prime time to get some rare and unique firearms? Or do you think that there will always be a steady stream of them going up?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Firearm auctions, the future?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
Maybe prime time to grab deals if you see them.  I suspect it may not be "deals", just opportunities.  I doubt they will be cheap.  

There was a guy selling an M1917 Eddystone rifle last year that I couldn't afford to get at the time.  I am a little upset I didn't get it.  I guess it is always important to keep some cash on hand if you want to collect guns. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »
I think it depends on the type of firearms you prefer.  WWII era seem more available now.  In a bit, those who got into the cowboy thing from the westerns that were all the rage  on film/t.v. may reach the age where their Colts and Winchesters become available. Who knows, in 50 years, Glocks might be collectable.    :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
Maybe prime time to grab deals if you see them.  I suspect it may not be "deals", just opportunities.  I doubt they will be cheap.  
This. I have yet to go to a gun auction where anything could be had for a deal, short of small lots of home reloaded ammunition of unknown provenance.
But maybe your special dream gun will be available at one.