Author Topic: "White elevators" are racist . . . or something  (Read 1821 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"White elevators" are racist . . . or something
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Oops-White-elevators-draw-criticism-at-the-8384354.php

TL;DR: At the RNC, there are different elevators for accessing different areas of the convention center.  These elevators are designated Red, White, and Blue.  Some folks in media (apparently looking for an excuse to be offended) claimed the "White Elevators" signs are racist, hearken back to Jim Crow, etc. (conveniently forgetting that Jim Crow laws were a Democrat thing).  So the GOP is changing the names

*sigh*

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: "White elevators" are racist . . . or something
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
Some people are striving far too hard to achieve new levels of stupid. :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
Context does actually mean something.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:35:05 PM »
:facepalm: And they wonder why the Honeybadger candidate won the nomination. Idiots.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »
I'm disappointed that they changed it.  (no balls)  That gives credibility to the complainers; should have just ridiculed them.  What Would Honey Badger Do?
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
I'm just disappointed I won't have the opportunity to use my Indian1 heritage and get onto the Red elevators.

Indian Lives Matter!

(And I suppose these are the only people to use the last set of elevators.)

1: Yes, Indian. Not the stupid PC term "Native American".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
Holy hell. Morons -- and I mean the Republicans. I'm not sure if there is a more mainstream US cultural reference than "Red, white, and blue". Yet the Republicans did not have the testicular fortitude or the intelligence (or both) to put forth a cogent argument. It could, and should, have been as simple as, "get lost idiots."

As fistful said, they do this kind of stuff and then wonder why Trump is their presumptive nominee.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
The gop deserves trump.  I hope he ruins the gop leadership and leaves it huddled shamefully in the corner, weeping tears of anguish.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »
I'm just disappointed I won't have the opportunity to use my Indian1 heritage and get onto the Red elevators.

Indian Lives Matter!

(And I suppose these are the only people to use the last set of elevators.)

1: Yes, Indian. Not the stupid PC term "Native American".

Or the blue-skinned Fugate family from Kentucky.

Or Libertarian Stan Jones from Montana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Jones_(politician)  (seems odd that he would have an elevator all to himself when he's not a R.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:02:19 PM »
"Blue" elevators offend us.

And we don't like the "Red" ones.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:56 PM »
I'm disappointed that they changed it.  (no balls)  That gives credibility to the complainers; should have just ridiculed them.  What Would Honey Badger Do?

So this.

Rule Number One: Do not feed the trolls. GOP is feeding trolls. Bad GOP. BAD!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »

Or Libertarian Stan Jones from Montana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Jones_(politician)  (seems odd that he would have an elevator all to himself when he's not a R.

I forgot about that guy..  he's a bit nutty.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
at least your elevators are racist, we call ours "lifts" - and quite a few of them are made by a firm called Schlinder
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
at least your elevators are racist, we call ours "lifts" - and quite a few of them are made by a firm called Schlinder

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »

Schindler. (Rhymes with "swindler")

We have them here, too. They are multi-national.

The project I'm currently assigned to just installed five of them. Worst elevators I've seen in thirty years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: "White elevators" are racist . . . or something
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 09:50:21 PM »
Maybe if the GOPe told the media that the "white" represented "surrender"......

The gop deserves trump.  I hope he ruins the gop leadership and leaves it huddled shamefully in the corner, weeping tears of anguish.

That's why I'm voting for Trump.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »
Didn't watch any of the convention last night except that last few mins of CBS's commentary before the 10 o'clock news.

The talking heads were all saying that the GOP is fractured and not sure which direction it is heading.

Maybe in a way with both sides being split like they are, the Dems aren't any closer, maybe we can get a "third" party going or as one talking head said a new GOP in Trumps image. [barf]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!