Author Topic: Judge tosses case against Phoenix gun-shop owner  (Read 3735 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Judge tosses case against Phoenix gun-shop owner
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:22:59 PM »
This gives Terry Goddard a huge slap in the face.

Criminal charges against a Phoenix gun shop owner accused of supplying firearms to Mexican narcotics cartels were thrown out of court Wednesday when a judge ruled the prosecution's case had a fatal evidentiary flaw.

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Robert Gottsfield issued a directed verdict of not guilty for George Iknadosian, owner of X-Caliber Guns, who faced a 21-count indictment for fraud, money-laundering and other offenses.

The ruling appears to be a defeat for the Arizona Attorney General's Office, which made international news by portraying Iknadosian, 47, as a greedy business owner who helped fuel Mexico's drug violence by supplying more than 700 AK-47s and other weapons to cartels. 

Attorney General Terry Goddard and his prosecutor, Patrick Zinicola, were not immediately available for comment.

An entry from Wednesday's court decision says Gottsfield concluded that evidence against Iknadosian was not sufficient to support conviction based on a technical legal issue.

Iknadosian was accused of selling firearms to "straw buyers," who then transported weapons south of the border. The straw buyers, all of whom pleaded guilty and became cooperative witnesses, signed statements at the time of purchase falsely declaring that they were acquiring the weapons for themselves.

Judge Gottsfield concluded that, while those documents were falsified, the purchasers all were legally eligible to buy firearms, so the deception did not amount to a "material falsification" under the law.

Gottsfield dismissed jurors and granted acquittal under a so-called Rule 20 motion sought by defense attorney Thomas Baker. Under Arizona law, Rule 20 holds that a case must be thrown out if the state's evidence is inadequate for conviction. "There is no proof whatsoever that any prohibited (firearm) possessor ended up with the firearms," he said.

The case against Iknadosian was investigated jointly by Phoenix police and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It was considered a landmark prosecution in part because of cooperation with Mexican authorities, who provided evidence that guns from X-Caliber were used in criminal operations south of the border.

Neither Iknadosian nor his attorney were available Wednesday afternoon.

Type Size: A A A Print Email Most Popular

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Judge tosses case against Phoenix gun-shop owner
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
This is good news.

Firearms dealers should not be punished for failing to have ESP.  :mad:
Iknadosian was accused of selling firearms to "straw buyers," who then transported weapons south of the border. The straw buyers, all of whom pleaded guilty and became cooperative witnesses, signed statements at the time of purchase falsely declaring that they were acquiring the weapons for themselves.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

guns and more

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »
Why do I think the cops are watching every move he makes?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:54:39 AM »
Oh, gosh! I wonder whether the gov' will prosecute the straw buyers and send them to prison. Golly!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:32:53 AM »
As I wrote in a previous thread . . . it's mighty hard to get a conviction on "straw purchase" allegations against the seller unless they have hard evidence that he knowingly completed a straw sale.

Clearly they didn't have more than allegations - and allegations, no matter how numerous or extensive, aren't evidence!

Note that it was the purchasers who allegedly falsified the paperwork - not the dealer. The judge said that the purchasers were legally entitled to make the purchases, so that implies that the dealer did what he was supposed to in terms of NICS checks and such . . . so even though IANAL, it would seem that I was right when I thought the case was weak.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »
Gottsfield dismissed jurors and granted acquittal under a so-called Rule 20 motion sought by defense attorney Thomas Baker. Under Arizona law, Rule 20 holds that a case must be thrown out if the state's evidence is inadequate for conviction. "There is no proof whatsoever that any prohibited (firearm) possessor ended up with the firearms," he said.
I am curious about this statement.  I assume that just means the guns were legally purchased and it wasn't proven he intended them to go to illegal owners.  My first thought was that they couldn't prove how they got into criminal hands. 

The case against Iknadosian was investigated jointly by Phoenix police and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It was considered a landmark prosecution in part because of cooperation with Mexican authorities, who provided evidence that guns from X-Caliber were used in criminal operations south of the border.
Regarding this, it almost sounds like they went for a media blitz instead of really nailing down the case.  I'm surprised they didn't do some sting activities against him, but maybe they did.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:24:37 AM »
This gives Terry Goddard a huge slap in the face.
Can you remind us who this is?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »
Arizona AG if I'm remembering right. Darned if I can remember anything about him though.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
Right, Terry Goddard is the Arizona attorney general.

The previous thread is here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=18495.0
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »
Okay, now I understand your comment up top.  I thought he might be someone else who was prosecuted. 

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
To a dimocrat, an alligation is both proof and the truth.....

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
To a dimocrat anyone with an agenda, an alligation is both proof and the truth.....

Fixed that for you, there's more than enough partisan BS to go around on both sides and there are as many honest Dems appalled by this sort of witch hunt as there are Repubs.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »
"honest Dems"   ??  :O :O :O :O :O                                                                    :D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »
"honest Dems"   ??  :O :O :O :O :O                                                                    :D
FDR, Harry Truman, JFK, LBJ are all honest . . . not one of them has told a lie - or even shaded the truth - in decades.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »
FDR? The guy who blamed the Great Depression on "the rich"? Is this the same FDR we're all talking about?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »
FDR? The guy who blamed the Great Depression on "the rich"? Is this the same FDR we're all talking about?

Yes, Hank is quite right that he hasn't told a lie in decades.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought