Author Topic: Republicans Shaft Their Base then Leaves for the election  (Read 938 times)

Waitone

• friend
Republicans Shaft Their Base then Leaves for the election
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003291437_border06.html
Lawmakers' last-minute deal creates loophole in U.S.-Mexico fence

By Spencer S. Hsu

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON  No sooner did Congress authorize construction of a 698-mile fence on the U.S.-Mexican border last week than lawmakers rushed to approve separate legislation that ensures it will never be built, at least not as advertised, according to Republican lawmakers and immigration experts.

GOP leaders have singled out the fence as one of the primary accomplishments of the recently completed session. Many lawmakers plan to highlight their $1.2 billion down payment on its construction as they campaign in the weeks before the midterm elections.

But shortly before recessing late last Friday, the House and Senate gave the Bush administration leeway to distribute the money to a combination of projects, not just the physical barrier along the southern border. The money may also be spent on roads, technology and "tactical infrastructure" to support the Homeland Security Department's preferred option of a "virtual fence."

What's more, in a late-night concession to win over wavering Republicans, GOP congressional leaders pledged in writing that Native American tribes, members of Congress, governors and local leaders would get a say in "the exact placement" of any structure and that Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff would have the flexibility to use alternatives "when fencing is ineffective or impractical."

The loopholes leave the Bush administration with authority to decide where, when and how long a fence will be built, except for small stretches east of San Diego and in western Arizona. Homeland Security officials have proposed a fence half as long, lawmakers said.

"It's one thing to authorize. It's another thing to actually appropriate the money and do it," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas.

The fine-print distinction between what Congress says it will do and what it actually pays for is a time-honored result of the checks and balances between lawmakers who oversee agencies and those who hold their purse strings.

In this case, it also reflects the GOP's political calculations that voters do not mind the details, and that key players  including the administration, local leaders and the Mexican government  oppose a fence-only approach, analysts said.

President Bush signed the $34.8 billion homeland-security budget bill Wednesday without referring to the barrier. Instead, he highlighted the $1.2 billion that Congress provided for an unspecified blend of fencing, vehicle barriers, lighting and technology such as ground-based radar, cameras and sensors.

"That's what the people of this country want," the president said. "They want to know that we're modernizing the border so we can better secure the border."
advertising

Bush and Chertoff have said repeatedly that enforcement alone will not work and that they want limited dollars spent elsewhere, such as on a temporary-worker program to ease pressure on the border. At an estimated $3 million to $10 million per mile, the double-layered barrier would cost more than $1.2 billion.

Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., who chairs the Senate subcommittee that funds the Department of Homeland Security, said that before the legislation was approved, the department had planned to build 320 miles of fencing, secure 500 miles of hard-to-traverse areas by blocking roads, and electronically monitor the rest of the 2,000-mile-long frontier.

"I think there'll be fencing where the department feels that it makes sense," Gregg said, estimating that "at least 300 to 400 miles" will be built.

Congress withheld $950 million of the $1.2 billion, pending a breakdown by Chertoff of how he plans to spend the money. It is due in early December.

Asked whether Homeland Security would build 698 miles of fence, department spokesman Russ Knocke would not say. Instead, he noted that department leaders announced last month that they will spend $67 million to test a remote-sensing "virtual fence" concept on a 28-mile, high-traffic stretch of border south of Tucson over eight months, and then adjust their plans.

"We plan to build a little and test a little. ... Stay tuned," Knocke said.

The split between GOP leaders hungry for a sound-bite-friendly accomplishment targeting immigration and others who support a more comprehensive approach also means that the fence bill will be watered down when lawmakers return for a lame-duck session in November, according to congressional aides and lobbyists.

The office of Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, on Thursday released a letter from House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., promising to ensure that Chertoff has discretion over whether to build a fence or choose other options. Homeland Security officials also must consult with U.S., state and local representatives on where structures are placed.

The letter was inserted in the Congressional Record on Friday night because Congress ran out of time to reach a final deal, aides said.

"State and local officials in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas should not be excluded from decisions about how to best protect our borders with their varying topography, population and geography," Hutchison said in a statement added to the record.

Congress also hedged on when a fence would be completed. The law mandating it said Homeland Security officials should gain "operational control" of the border in 18 months. But the law funding it envisions five years.

Chertoff has set a goal of two to three years but only after completion of an immigration overhaul.
These idiots think their base is composed of fools or they think they are beyond touch.  I repeat my assessment.  Neither party is worth a cup of warm spit (sic).
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:12:39 PM »
Once again, the GOP has proven that they deserve to lose.

Unfortunately, the Democrats, most assuredly, do NOT deserve to win.

This is a problem . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:44:45 PM »
Did either of you actually read the article?  "Shaft their base"???  

Ignore the raving hyperbole and look at what the article really says.  Bush and the Republicans aren't going to lay down a bunch of chain link on the boarder willy-nilly.  They're going to take the time to build the fence properly, so that it might actually stop some boarder crossers.  

Those dastardly Republicans.  How DARE they do this whole fence thing sensibly!  rolleyes

President Bush signed the $34.8 billion homeland-security budget bill Wednesday without referring to the barrier. Instead, he highlighted the $1.2 billion that Congress provided for an unspecified blend of fencing, vehicle barriers, lighting and technology such as ground-based radar, cameras and sensors.
Yeah, Bush is so EVIL.  He's actually going to use sensible stuff like cameras and sensors and lights, not just barriers.  He really shafted the base with that one.

What's more, in a late-night concession to win over wavering Republicans, GOP congressional leaders pledged in writing that Native American tribes, members of Congress, governors and local leaders would get a say in "the exact placement" of any structure and that Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff would have the flexibility to use alternatives "when fencing is ineffective or impractical."
Bush is going to consult with lawmakers, locals officials, and Native Americans about how to build the fence.  A dastardly plan, devised to ensure that the fence is built where it's most needed, that it doesn't interfere with the locals who have to live with it after it's constructed, and that the public has some influence over the finished product.  He's a sly one, Bush is.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:08:59 PM »
We'll have plenty of time to see what exactly the reps will do with the implementation of the fence bill. What I can tell you right now is that a dem congress will build nothing. The idiots think the illegals will become their new proletariat and keep them in power indefinitely.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
Yeah, I read the entire article before posting and my conclusion remains.  Bush was dead set on no fence.  He was horse whipped into accepting part of what was necessary.  Yes, DHS is in favor of the virtual fence which is worthless without men and materiel necessary to intercept crossers which were detected crossing.  

Bush wants open borders and a lapdog relationship with Mexico.  I assume he will do nothing to upset the nature of that relationship.  His base in the republican party and others who can be described as "fed up" want enforcement first.  Bush is not interested in enforcement first.  He want a "comprehensive solution" which will contain provisions the Great Fed Up will not agree to if those provisions are known.

Legislating a program then refusing to fund it is the great DC Two Step.  Its been used for years.  Illegal immigration is the one issue in my experience where the Two Step will not go down well.  I suppose the calculus by BushRove is "Where else they gonna go?"  May or may not work this time.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
Wonder how many years it will take to consult with "Native American tribes, members of Congress, governors and local leaders"?
Don

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »
You mean borders isn't just a book shop chain?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.