Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 77176 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »
I didn't really keep tabs on "the march" since I knew the misinformation would make my blood boil, but this link popped up in my newsfeed. AFAIK it has been made clear that the Parkland shooter used 10 round magazines, yet here we have "we were there" people stating that "high capacity" magazines played a "huge" role  at Parkland.

Why we can't let "we were there" be a guiding force in this nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2018/mar/23/parkland-students-manifesto-americas-gun-laws
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2018, 11:24:40 PM »
This was supposedly seen at one of today's events:

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2018, 11:50:57 PM »
I didn't really keep tabs on "the march" since I knew the misinformation would make my blood boil, but this link popped up in my newsfeed. AFAIK it has been made clear that the Parkland shooter used 10 round magazines, yet here we have "we were there" people stating that "high capacity" magazines played a "huge" role  at Parkland.

Why we can't let "we were there" be a guiding force in this nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2018/mar/23/parkland-students-manifesto-americas-gun-laws

Oh, dear Lord!

Civilians shouldn’t have access to the same weapons that soldiers do. That’s a gross misuse of the second amendment.

Wrong! First, regardless of the velocity of the projectile, semi-automatic rifles are NOT the same weapons that soldiers have. Second, arming civilians with exactly the same weaponry that the military has IS exactly what the Second Amendment is all about.

We believe that there should be a database recording which guns are sold in the United States, to whom, and of what caliber and capacity they are.

Just ... no.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention should be allowed to conduct research on the dangers of gun violence. The fact that they are currently prohibited from doing so undermines the first amendment. It also violates the rights of the American people.

Guns are not a disease. The CDC has no business mucking around with gun control, and especially not making recommendations regarding gun control.

n a few months from now, many of us will be turning 18. We will not be able to drink; we will not be able to rent a car. Most of us will still be living with our parents. We will not be able to purchase a handgun. And yet, we will be able to purchase an AR-15.

With the exception of those who are serving the United States in the military, the age to obtain any firearm must be raised to 21.

No, no, no. If you want to raise the age for buying firearms to 21, then you must believe that people younger than 21 are too immature to possess firearms. That means if you want to raise the age for buying firearms to 21, you must also raise the age for enlisting in the military to 21.

We believe that schools should be given sufficient funds for school security and resource officers to protect and secure the entire campus. As a school of over 3,000 students, teachers and faculty, Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school was only supplied funds to hire one on-campus armed resource officer by the state.

Wait ... I'm quite certain I read an article this morning saying the students at Parkland were complaining that there are now too many police protecting their school, and that it feels like a prison. Make up your minds, muchachos.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but caught an interview with a Campusreform.com guy where they interviewed random student protestors asking them what an assault weapon was. While these kinds of interviews are often edited to make the kids look stupider what they are, there was one telling theme: A large number of the kids that couldn't define an assault weapon just gave up and said, "I really just want all guns banned".

Yet gun owners are being "unreasonable" by expecting people to know basic firearms terms, specifically so we don't have to deal with "just ban everything".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
But it's obviously easier to just ban everything, then the little darlings don't have to waste any brain cells trying to think.

I find it telling that through all this furor about banning guns as THE answer to school security, the fact that a week after Parkland a kid in Utah tried to blow up his school with a backpack bomb is never mentioned.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
Funny how the NAACP never defends Colion Noir when he's attacked. Also interesting that after all this time, Twitter hasn't given him the "coveted blue checkmark".

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/03/25/like-a-boss-colion-noir-takes-on-horde-of-frothy-gun-grabbing-blue-checks-who-cant-deal-with-his-truth/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »
But it's obviously easier to just ban everything, then the little darlings don't have to waste any brain cells trying to think.

I find it telling that through all this furor about banning guns as THE answer to school security, the fact that a week after Parkland a kid in Utah tried to blow up his school with a backpack bomb is never mentioned.

Poor little Boss Hogg Jr. down in Florida is upset about the new requirements for clear backpacks for his little tide pod eating buddies. Something about infringing on their rights...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
I had a very strange thought the other night, almost all of the kids from the school in Parkland who are being the face and voice of this "movement" to ban guns are around 16-18 or most likely Juniors and Seniors. The building where the shooting took place was the 1200 building, the freshman building. It is a separate building away from the main buildings on campus. While the ones spearheading this drive may have been on campus, unless they were physically in the 1200 building I am a little hesitant to call them "survivors". The ones in the building being shot at are the real survivors. The rest were unfortunate participants IMO, not survivors, especially when you are in another building several hundred feet away. Kind of like being at the bank ATM in the parking lot when someone walks inside to rob it, yes you were there, but not really *there*. Just a random thought I had the other day. Yes I am sure those kids were scared, but where are the freshmen students who were in that building, why haven't they become the face of this "movement"?

https://latimeshighschool.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/screen-shot-2018-02-14-at-5-35-16-pm.png?w=584&h=379

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
So, 800,000 or 200,000? Because that's kind of a difference.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/03/25/oopsie-seems-media-may-have-inflated-marchforourlives-numbers-a-teensy-bit-by-over-half-a-million/

The narrative going in was up to 500k expected. Now if trumpy bear missed numbers by that much it would be yuge news. I also like how Delta et. al were bending over backwards to help this. Was the metro free? How many people got comps to go?

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
I had a very strange thought the other night, almost all of the kids from the school in Parkland who are being the face and voice of this "movement" to ban guns are around 16-18 or most likely Juniors and Seniors. The building where the shooting took place was the 1200 building, the freshman building. It is a separate building away from the main buildings on campus. While the ones spearheading this drive may have been on campus, unless they were physically in the 1200 building I am a little hesitant to call them "survivors". The ones in the building being shot at are the real survivors. The rest were unfortunate participants IMO, not survivors, especially when you are in another building several hundred feet away. Kind of like being at the bank ATM in the parking lot when someone walks inside to rob it, yes you were there, but not really *there*.

I agree, to a point, but I'll go farther -- and I've made this point before. If they were in a different building, they are not "survivors," because they didn't "survive" anything. To survive something, you have to experience it. As you point out, they are no more survivors than people in a McDonald's are "survivors" in the bank across the street is robbed. As far as I'm concerned, they weren't even there.

Like two airplanes flying in tandem. If one crashes, is the pilot of the other plane a survivor? He was there -- sort of -- but he didn't go through the experience of crashing a plane.

I'm not even prepared to label kids on floors of the 1200 building where no shots were fired as survivors.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/28654/watch-gun-control-activist-gives-perfect-reason-ryan-saavedra

"When they give us that inch - that bump-stock ban - we will take a mile."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #387 on: March 26, 2018, 11:07:15 AM »
Whether or not every Parkland student is really a survirvor, I doubt it's in our best interest to keep talking about it. Just another example they can use of us being mean. Or, they'll twist into a crisis actor conspiracy theory.

Perd Hapley

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
J.R. Salzman kinda takes this guy to the back of the woodshed:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/26/ouch-wounded-warrior-j-r-salzman-soundly-shreds-billy-badass-gun-control-tweet-pics/

I guess you can argue whether giving a military member on either side of this debate more credence than a civilian is good or bad, but I do have to say I'm sick to death of the military and former military guys going off on how AR-15s are "weapons of war" and if you want to shoot one, you should join the military. I've been hearing it a lot from jackasses like Ralph Peters on Fox, and Salzman has it right with half these guys not knowing one end of the rifle from another, but people calling them "experts" simply because they wear or wore ACUs.

Attempting to pass off an M4 as an AR15 deserves the spanking this dumbass got.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #390 on: March 26, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »
So one of the Parkland kids is now "the same as Joan of Arc".

Part of me actually feels a little sorry for these kids, because the media is sending them up in a balloon at supersonic speed. Soon all this will be over, and five years from now some of these kids will be in the gutter from not being able to handle the psychological shock of going from artificial supernova back to plain old Earth. I also saw people are asking if the Hogg kid has "presidential aspirations".

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/26/oh-ffs-the-new-yorker-just-jumped-the-shark-with-this-ridiculous-profile-of-emma-gonzalez/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
J.R. Salzman kinda takes this guy to the back of the woodshed:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/26/ouch-wounded-warrior-j-r-salzman-soundly-shreds-billy-badass-gun-control-tweet-pics/

I guess you can argue whether giving a military member on either side of this debate more credence than a civilian is good or bad, but I do have to say I'm sick to death of the military and former military guys going off on how AR-15s are "weapons of war" and if you want to shoot one, you should join the military. I've been hearing it a lot from jackasses like Ralph Peters on Fox, and Salzman has it right with half these guys not knowing one end of the rifle from another, but people calling them "experts" simply because they wear or wore ACUs.

Attempting to pass off an M4 as an AR15 deserves the spanking this dumbass got.

He should have debated the issue. Bringing up the guy's pogue status just makes Salzman sound like the one trying to look like a tough guy. Besides, Salzman sounds silly making the argument that the guy is not an expert because of the equipment he was issued. I get what he's trying to say, but it seems pretty week to me.

Of course, when I was in the infantry, we had M16A2s, and iron sights.  =) Maybe I'm biased.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »

Was he wearing a clear backpack?   [tinfoil]

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
Apparently, young Mr. Hogg was not at school during the shooting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/march-for-our-lives-39-days-how-parkland-students-turned-grief-into-action/

DAVID HOGG: On the day of the shooting, I got my camera and got on my bike and road as fast as I could three miles from my house to the school to get as much video and to get as many interviews as I could because I knew that this could not be another mass shooting.

Or maybe he was:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43069670

It was 14:30 when David Hogg heard the first shot.

The 17-year-old was in environmental science class at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Florida. The teacher had just passed out worksheets.

When he heard the bang, his classmates turned to each other. That sounded like a gun, they said.

The teacher closed the door. Within seconds, the fire alarm went off.

"We instinctively walked outside," says David. "We thought it was a drill."

Is David Hogg Schrodinger's Cat?  He both was and wasn't there?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2018, 09:27:28 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/march-for-our-lives-39-days-how-parkland-students-turned-grief-into-action/

Or maybe he was:

The Gateway Pundit questioned his story a couple of weeks ago, and were accused of spreading a crisis actor theory. As far as I can tell, they didn't actually do that, but I think they did link to a video that did. The video's been pulled, so I'm not sure what the real story is. I don't find them to be a particularly credible source, but...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #395 on: March 27, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
BAN THE GUNS BULLETS!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-florida-school-shooting-wasserman-schultz-legislation-20180323-story.html

Debbie Wasserman-Shultz, possible hoping to reestablish relevance, now wants universal background checks for buying bullets (I think she means cartridges, i.e. ammunition, but the devil is in the details). I think her understanding of the Constitution is severely flawed.

“You do not have the right to bear bullets,” Wasserman Schultz said at a news conference at the Pembroke Pines Police Department, where she was joined by political leaders, a police representative and teachers and students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

So I guess dear Debbie thinks the Second Amendment only guarantees us a right to walk around with empty guns. Got it.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #396 on: March 27, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
BAN THE GUNS BULLETS!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-florida-school-shooting-wasserman-schultz-legislation-20180323-story.html

Debbie Wasserman-Shultz, possible hoping to reestablish relevance, now wants universal background checks for buying bullets (I think she means cartridges, i.e. ammunition, but the devil is in the details). I think her understanding of the Constitution is severely flawed.

So I guess dear Debbie thinks the Second Amendment only guarantees us a right to walk around with empty guns. Got it.

This ain't goin' anywhere.   I wish Debbie would go somehere. :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #397 on: March 27, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »

Or maybe he was:

https://www.redstate.com/sarah-rumpf/2018/03/26/new-video-casts-doubt-whether-david-hogg-school-day-shooting/
After reviewing all of this, it appears that the problem was that CBS included a very confusing quote without context. Hogg was on campus during the shooting and returned several hours later to interview people across the street.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #398 on: March 27, 2018, 01:49:16 PM »
So, Hogg was on campus, but was he near the shooting?  Or was he in a different building?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #399 on: March 27, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »
Hogg was under-campus. The Rothschilds have a subterranean facility at the school, where they teach children the intricacies of weather control, mind control, and possibly also gun control.