Author Topic: Ubuntu question(s)  (Read 5810 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Ubuntu question(s)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 03:05:11 PM »
now the system fan just shuts down when I boot Ubuntu.  Why do I try
?   

Now you know exactly what speed to fan is running. :P

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 06:28:12 PM »
I gave up on software fan control a long time ago. Now I just wire them to the power supply and use a fan controller or simple potentiometer in series with them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
I gave up on software fan control a long time ago. Now I just wire them to the power supply and use a fan controller or simple potentiometer in series with them.

Try Windows.   :P

Due to the fan issue, I figured the easiest fix was to re-install.  And so long as I was re-installing, I figured I'd go back to 9.04, which was prettier, and easier to work with on a couple of points (probably more difficult on others).

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »
Well, I managed to get sensors-applet up and running on my panel.  All the fans are running full-speed, full-time, but at least the temps look OK.  Lower than when running Windows, but I suspect that's mainly from the fans being on ALL THE TIME.

Feeling better about the Penguinware now.   =)

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
I don't see the niche for wubi.  Virtualization allows the same thing, without any rebooting, and with more flexibility - no messing with the windows bootloader, and you can install whatever guest OS you want directly from any install CD you have.

+1 on virtualbox, and if you want linux as your primary OS in the future, VMware has a converter and ovf exporter (to get it into an image virtualbox can read)

Primarily, wubi allows direct access to the PC's real hardware, virtualization really doesn't.  For instance, in Microsoft Virtual PC, the sound card is a
Sound Blaster 16 whereas in the real machine, it's a Audigy.  Linux will believe it only has a SB16 to play with and not the full featured real card.
Wubi is for testing to see how ubuntu will actually work on your real hardware but in an easily removable manner.
If it works great, you can always create a real partition for it later (but obviously, you can't migrate your wubi stuff to the real partition easily, IIRC)

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 02:13:28 AM »
No argument that wubi makes a decent trial-run environment to check for hardware driver issues... but why not use the ubuntu livecd for that?

That doesn't make Wubi a superior learning environment.  I do not see masses of linux newbies wanting to try out linux and getting fed up with virtualization because mysql performance sucks, or because Crysis under Wine is deathly slow, or because they don't get to enjoy their Avatar dvd or blu-ray in full 5.1 or 42.1 glory.

Virtualization allows newbie linux users to experiment without worrying about nuking X or networking or the entire filesystem.  It's difficult to overstate the advantage of having a stable web browser and irc client open no matter what tragedy befalls you in an OS environment you're trying to learn about.

If fistful had chosen the virtualization option, he would be running 10.04 and wouldn't have been messing with manual control of fan speed under linux when he probably doesn't even know if he wants to run linux long-term yet.  =(
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:04 AM »
I just installed the wubi on my machine running win 7. Having problems installing AVG free. Anyone know of a better AV or how to install AVG free?
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
If fistful had chosen the virtualization option, he would be running 10.04 and wouldn't have been messing with manual control of fan speed under linux when he probably doesn't even know if he wants to run linux long-term yet.  =(

But virtualization simply doesn't interest me, and I might just as well tinker with fan speed as anything else.   :cool:

Iain

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
I just installed the wubi on my machine running win 7. Having problems installing AVG free. Anyone know of a better AV or how to install AVG free?

AVG for linux? If I'm honest here, and I may get slammed for this, I've been running Ubuntu without any sort of antivirus for about three years now.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
AVG for linux? If I'm honest here, and I may get slammed for this, I've been running Ubuntu without any sort of antivirus for about three years now.

There are no antivirus programs for linux, as there are no linux viruses to speak of.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Iain

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
There are antivirus programs, or at least virus scanners, for linux. AVG, Avast, Clamav...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
As people have pointed out, there ARE programs which run on linux that look for known viruses in files being stored of that server, to protect your windows boxen.

For example, your linux-based email server might have a "virus scanner" preventing email-based viruses from passing through there.

As far as a desktop-based anti-virus scanner for protecting the linux system itself, I am oretty sure no such thing exists, and if it DOES I am even twice as sure that no such thing is warranted.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
From messing with Ubuntu the past couple of weeks, I have learned one thing - there are much quieter case fans at Micro Center, and they will make me happy. 

So, yeah, since Ubuntu can't handle a garden-variety hp motherboard, I had to install a case fun that runs quieter at full speed.   :P  While we're on the subject, I upgraded twice to Lucid Lynx.  It took away my pretty red mouse pointer.  =(

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »
So, yeah, since Ubuntu can't handle a garden-variety hp motherboard, I had to install a case fun that runs quieter at full speed.   :P  While we're on the subject, I upgraded twice to Lucid Lynx.  It took away my pretty red mouse pointer.  =(

Maybe, or maybe ubuntu simply doesn't do fan control for your sensor chipset by default.  `sensors-detect` will tell you what sensor chip(s) you have, and then you may be able to find information on setting up fan speed control for that chip.

As for your "pretty red" mouse pointer, all that stuff is configurable.  They must have simply changed the default.

and this...
But virtualization simply doesn't interest me, and I might just as well tinker with fan speed as anything else.
...is like saying that roads don't interest you when all you want to do is drive to another city.  You don't have to be interested in virtualization itself in order to find virtualization useful.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »
Maybe, or maybe ubuntu simply doesn't do fan control for your sensor chipset by default.  `sensors-detect` will tell you what sensor chip(s) you have, and then you may be able to find information on setting up fan speed control for that chip.

Yeah, I've been through that. It was able to find my case fan.  And then it just shut it down, which is why I re-installed. In all fairness to the OS, I may have done something wrong. 

As for your "pretty red" mouse pointer, all that stuff is configurable.  They must have simply changed the default.
The funny thing is, when I first installed Lucid, and changed it to the pretty red mouse pointer, it was only red within my browser window (and maybe other applications, I don't remember).  But when on the desktop, the pointer went back to the default white.  When I reformatted the drive and installed Jaunty (due to the fan issue), I picked the red mouse pointer again, and it worked fine.  As soon as I upgraded to Lucid, it went back to white on the desktop, red in the browser.  ???

and this......is like saying that roads don't interest you when all you want to do is drive to another city.  You don't have to be interested in virtualization itself in order to find virtualization useful.

But I don't find virtualization useful when all I want to do is run OSs natively.  I have nothing against virtualization; but it's just not what I'm into right now. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 07:17:52 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 11:39:12 PM »
You velly funny Peggy Hill.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
fisty - with regards to the mouse pointer colour change issue, I'm pretty certain it's compiz that causes that. Try turning off desktop effects.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 06:59:03 PM »
Yup, that did it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »
Maybe it's the late hour, and I'm just not thinking straight, but I think I'm going to install PCLinuxOS next to Ubuntu. I'll give you all a day or two to talk me out of it.  =)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 01:55:01 AM »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM