Author Topic: Oblivious. I don't get it.  (Read 8511 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Oblivious. I don't get it.
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 11:36:08 AM »
I'm in for $5 on No Call.

And I'm with Ron.  I am thankful to Firefox and it's built-in spellchecker and to simple machines and it's "edit post" function....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
l to have someone with your management skills lead a corporate pharmacy setting.[/i]

I don't have any management skills.  I just rotate around the place and help out where needed.  If I'm answering customer questions on the floor that tells me we need people that are more available to customers.  They see me do it and know what to do.  If we have too many carts in the parking lot those guys know they (or should know) they need to work harder on it because I'm running carts back myself.  If I'm picking up on cashier mistakes when I wander through the managers know they should be on the ball more.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »
I got rung up for over a million bucks at my favorite bodega the other day.

We just laughed it off and corrected the entry.  "You're now our best customer," the manager joked.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 05:46:15 AM »
The kids at the Spanish Springs walmart I shop at always ring me up for more then I bought, its so crowded usually and everyone's in a hurry ( including me ) that I have to remind myself to check.
It took a few times before I finally remembered - very aggravating to drive 2 1/2 hours then realize you were overcharged.

The other day here at APS I said jokingly that cassandras writing is worser then Zimmermans, I thought everyone would get the joke - but know- :laugh:

My spelling is pretty good, I have gotten lazy and now rely on firefox way to much, my grammar certainly needs improving.

One of the benefits ( for me ) over the past 15 yrs of arguing and posting on gun related forums is my writing has gotten a lot clearer, my spelling and grammar has improved a great deal as well...misspellings here at APS do not bother me as I'm used to most of the folks here and we probably do not get a great deal of outside traffic. I post some at calguns.net on the 2A forum there & there it really annoys me because they get a lot of media reading the postings and the poor spelling reflects badly on the gun community.

Prior to the internet I often got my your yours and you're all mixed up as well as their there
I still have trouble with then than

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
My spelling is pretty good, I have gotten lazy and now rely on firefox way to much, my grammar certainly needs improving.

That's OK, if you're a native English speaker. At root, that's what defines grammar in the long term.

Same with spelling.  E.g., this is a gonne related forum.

One of the benefits ( for me ) over the past 15 yrs of arguing and posting on gun related forums is my writing has gotten a lot clearer,

I'm told that should be "more clear."

I'm also told that the proper form of "gotten" is actually "got" and that there's no such word as "gotten." <This may be out of date by now, and I actually use "gotten" myself now and again, and I would have used it that way in your sentence above to avoid a "reading bump."

I will use improper forms in order to make myself more readable, or, if you will, readabler,  knowing full well that it was formally incorrect.  The object of speech and writing is to communicate clearly, and there are only a few cases where ambiguity results. This can  usually be resolved by context or common usage.

My biggest downfall in my own writing is agreement of tense and number.  I generally figure the heck with them.  It.  Or whatever.  Oh, and I use a lot of one-word and two-word sentences.

Like that. Or them. Above.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:47:17 PM by 230RN »

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
Heh... I worked as editor for a local motorcycle rag for awhile. You would not BELIEVE the stuff I had to deal with!

When exactly did "text speak" become acceptable in even semi-formal writing?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
^<quasi-rant/op-ed piece>

I guess as soon as they tried to marry a telephone keypad to the concept of a typewriter keyboard.  Abc, def, ghi, etc groupings each on one key.  Abbrs became the norm, and then abbrs went totally hyperbolic as a fashion thing.  Any abbr or obscure expression you had to ask someone about put the askee on a higher esteem level than the asker.  It's the old "What?  Why you dummy!  You don't even know what abbr means?  You poor sap" syndrome. It's just "I'm cooler than you" pettiness in my opinion.

There's a good reason for abbrs, viz the old Morse Code abbrs ("cud" and "CUL" and the like, which are found in textspeak) --and for the ham radio Q-codes, as well as the old CB/Police 10-codes --but if you have ten fingers and a quertyuiop keyboard, I don't see much use for overabbrtion.

And don't get me started on over-use of acronyms.

</quasi-rant/op-ed piece>

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:25:08 PM by 230RN »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »
QFT

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »

WTF
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

Srsly, NMFP.  RTFM.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
I don't have any management skills.  I just rotate around the place and help out where needed.  If I'm answering customer questions on the floor that tells me we need people that are more available to customers.  They see me do it and know what to do.  If we have too many carts in the parking lot those guys know they (or should know) they need to work harder on it because I'm running carts back myself.  If I'm picking up on cashier mistakes when I wander through the managers know they should be on the ball more.

That is a management skill, rather a leadership skill. Makes the employees understand that you are not above doing what you ask them to do. The step where this falls short in the military is weeding out the employee that does not feel embarrassed to have the boss help. You know the keepers when you see them work longer and harder to make sure that you don't have to come into their area. Eventually you put them in charge of something.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

griz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »
Paying for stuff with a card has become so routine that people don't even turn their brains on to complete the transaction.  Just swipe and sign.  If anything, the cashiers are even worse because they do are doing a very repetitive task for hours at a time.  I had one make some mistake and tell me I owed him something like 96 dollars for what should have been a two dollar sort of purchase.  You could almost see him wake up to the impossibility when I said "I don't think so".

Sorry for getting back on topic from the side track.  To fit in I have attempted to misspel a word.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:07 AM »
That is a management skill, rather a leadership skill. Makes the employees understand that you are not above doing what you ask them to do. The step where this falls short in the military is weeding out the employee that does not feel embarrassed to have the boss help. You know the keepers when you see them work longer and harder to make sure that you don't have to come into their area. Eventually you put them in charge of something.

ah, yes; that is what I meant,  leadership skills.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
Gorram it.  Happened again.  This time it was an extra $92 + change on the wrong ticket.

Found it almost immediately, got it bubbled up to me, and 20 minutes later when the customer returned they weren't angry, and a little impressed that we'd already reversed the charge.

And, due to our mistake, they got $10 extra in free gas.  Sounds good to me.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 01:30:10 AM »
Also, giga,  I'd kill to have someone with your management skills lead a corporate pharmacy setting.

I am reminded of one of the early scenes in Gladiator.  The Emperor asks Maximus to come to Rome to become a politician. Maximus says he has no desire or skill for politics.  The Emperor responds "That is why it must be you."
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
One of the benefits ( for me ) over the past 15 yrs of arguing and posting on gun related forums is my writing has gotten a lot clearer, my spelling and grammar has improved a great deal as well...misspellings here at APS do not bother me as I'm used to most of the folks here and we probably do not get a great deal of outside traffic. I post some at calguns.net on the 2A forum there & there it really annoys me because they get a lot of media reading the postings and the poor spelling reflects badly on the gun community.

To the contrary, mine have declined as a result of too much exposure to the Internet. Specifically to the above: "spelling" and "grammar" are two separate nouns, thus making a plural subject, which calls for the plural form of the verb. "My spelling and grammar have improved."

Prior to the internet I often got my your yours and you're all mixed up as well as their there
I still have trouble with then than

You forgot the third partner in the trilogy ("triumverate"?): their, there, and they're.

And then there are "affect" and "effect." Almost nobody gets those right.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:34:10 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »

Nope.

Words of one and two syllables get "er" tacked onto the end. Three syllables or more and you stick "more" in front.

High ==> higher

Pretty ==> prettier

Incredible ==> more incredible
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »

Nope.

Words of one and two syllables get "er" tacked onto the end. Three syllables or more and you stick "more" in front.

High ==> higher

Pretty ==> prettier

Incredible ==> more incredible

Than him whom told me affectively liared.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:57:48 AM by 230RN »