Author Topic: Krokodil is here  (Read 9466 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Krokodil is here
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/26/first-cases-flesh-eating-drug-krokodil-surface-in-us/

This crap is like meth squared.  Hopefully it doesn't take off with the junkies.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Krokodil is here
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
Look at what it's made from:

1 drug that is prescription-only here in the US but OTC in Russia, and a bunch of household chemicals swooshed together in a home depot bucket.

It's dirt cheap to make.  It'll have a street price lower than meth, and a consumer in a lower place in life than meth users.

This is exactly why (downward-spiraling inventiveness) the Great War on Drugs will never be won, and Prohibition 2.0 needs to be abandoned.  Sell meth at the customer service counter right next to the Marlboros.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »
On the optimistic front, if this stuff leaves meth in the dust, does this mean they'll put the freakin' Sudafed back in the aisle with the other cold and allergy meds?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
On the optimistic front, if this stuff leaves meth in the dust, does this mean they'll put the freakin' Sudafed back in the aisle with the other cold and allergy meds?

:rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
Look at what it's made from:

1 drug that is prescription-only here in the US but OTC in Russia, and a bunch of household chemicals swooshed together in a home depot bucket.

It's dirt cheap to make.  It'll have a street price lower than meth, and a consumer in a lower place in life than meth users.

This is exactly why (downward-spiraling inventiveness) the Great War on Drugs will never be won, and Prohibition 2.0 needs to be abandoned.  Sell meth at the customer service counter right next to the Marlboros.

Lower than a meth user.  Found not in the gutter, but in the scrapings at the bottom of the gutter.

I have been for legalizing it all for some time for lots of reasons, but "reasonably priced and relatively safe meth" alternative to this stuff was not one I had considered.  Ain't no legislature or LEO that can keep up with folk who want to blitz their brain.

Don't you know that that was considered a "success" in the WoSD?

Quote from: op article
Similar to morphine or heroin, krokodil is made by mixing codeine with substances like gasoline, paint thinner, oil or alcohol. That mixture is then injected into a vein, potentially causing an addict's skin to turn greenish, scaly and eventually rot away.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
Wow.  I remember reading a really interesting story in the WSJ a couple of years ago on the use of this drug in Russia.  The story painted quite the picture about how rapidly the users tended to end up dead or gravely disabled.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
Similar to morphine or heroin, krokodil is made by mixing codeine with substances like gasoline, paint thinner, oil or alcohol. That mixture is then injected into a vein, potentially causing an addict's skin to turn greenish, scaly and eventually rot away.

wow.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
Wow.  I remember reading a really interesting story in the WSJ a couple of years ago on the use of this drug in Russia.  The story painted quite the picture about how rapidly the users tended to end up dead or gravely disabled.

Sounds like society wins.

Color me unimpressed by sensationalist journalism.

EXTRA! EXTRA! Idiots find ways to seriously hurt/kill themselves! Read all about it! We must increase our efforts in the war on drugs. It's for the chilluns!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
Not going to link them here, but a google image search on krokodil is very disturbing.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
So another drug with legitimate use turned into a nasty blight from sloppy synthesis techniques.  Lovely.

Maybe as a society we should just supply the addicts with a clean supply so those who can run their lives reasonably well can continue to do so without all the problems and ill effects that result from a dirty drug.

For those who can't even do that, a cot and daily dole of food yeast on some far away island.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
I do wonder when the junkies will just start injecting unleaded gasoline directly into their bodies and skip the home depot bucket entirely.  And if I'll then have to go through background checks and get a mechanic's permission slip for each gallon of gas I want to buy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
This is exactly why (downward-spiraling inventiveness) the Great War on Drugs will never be won, and Prohibition 2.0 needs to be abandoned.  Sell meth at the customer service counter right next to the Marlboros.

"It's morphine Mr. Suprynowicz.  It's for my Mom."  

(obscure sf-nal reference that AZR might actually get.)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 11:30:04 AM »
Good riddance morons!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
I have never read that, but I've heard the quote a few times.

I've stumbled onto Stephen King and Peter Straub's Talisman collaboration and it seems tied in with the Dark Tower universe so I'm neck deep on those two books for the moment.  I'll add The American Zone to the list.
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 11:31:38 AM »
Sounds like society wins.

Indeed. This is one of those subjects in which I don't care if I sound callous. Anyone stupid enough to inject such a concoction deserves what they get and really, does the rest of us a favor. I see no reason to try and stop its spread. I consider it a natural IQ test.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »
I have never read that, but I've heard the quote a few times.

A TV ad in American Zone.  My recollection is: Cute little 10 year old Cindy buys a machine pistol and 1K rounds for herself and a pound of morphine for her mom.  Helpful proprietor makes her put back the name brand morphine and pick up a pound bag of the store brand stuff, on sale.

I've stumbled onto Stephen King and Peter Straub's Talisman collaboration and it seems tied in with the Dark Tower universe so I'm neck deep on those two books for the moment.  I'll add The American Zone to the list.

I pooped out on Dark Tower after the third book.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
Indeed. This is one of those subjects in which I don't care if I sound callous. Anyone stupid enough to inject such a concoction deserves what they get and really, does the rest of us a favor. I see no reason to try and stop its spread. I consider it a natural IQ test.

Except, of course, for the amount of healthcare resources that the users consume on the way down.  That money comes from somewhere.  The hospitals can't throw them out of the emergency room, so either the Feds, the state or the hospital pays for it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
Except, of course, for the amount of healthcare resources that the users consume on the way down.  That money comes from somewhere.  The hospitals can't throw them out of the emergency room, so either the Feds, the state or the hospital pays for it.

True. In my world, people could put whatever they want in their bodies, and live or die, as long as they don't make me (or the public) responsible for them. I'm sure a lot of the people that take this crap have children too, but society trying to save people from themselves has to have some kind of an "enough is enough" line somewhere Both in the war on these drugs, and how much public assistance we want to give to people that harm themselves, versus people that might need help because of something that happened to them through no fault of their own.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »

I'm inclined to nod my head on that one.

But I wonder if the additional resources spent on caring for them is offset by the additional costs of enforcing the drug laws.  Let alone the evanescent costs to our freedoms and safety that the Drug War incurs.

That's the same argument people bring up with respect to any new "safety law," like seat belts and motorcycle helmets and the "super-sized soft drink" law that was brought up recently in New York.

I tend to err on the side of personal freedom.

Tough one.

Terry 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:10:46 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »
Not going to link them here, but a google image search on krokodil is very disturbing.

Are the images anything like Cheech and Chong's version?  (About 21 seconds in)
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »
"It's morphine Mr. Suprynowicz.  It's for my Mom."  

(obscure sf-nal reference that AZR might actually get.)

"Shame on you! Go put that back and grab the generic morphine instead, it's just as good and save the money!"

Or something to that effect...  =D
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
I'm inclined to nod my head on that one.

But I wonder if the additional resources spent on caring for them is offset by the additional costs of enforcing the drug laws.  Let alone the evanescent costs to our freedoms and safety that the Drug War incurs.

That's the same argument people bring up with respect to any new "safety law," like seat belts and motorcycle helmets and the "super-sized soft drink" law that was brought up recently in New York.

I tend to err on the side of personal freedom.

Tough one.

Terry 

I'm ok with helmet and seat belt laws because, in general, they cost almost nothing to enforce. In fact, they BRING revenue. Additionally, I've yet to see entire federal agencies raised for the purpose of combating the scourge of helmet use. I haven't seen people oppressed in the name of those things.

The War on Drugs however...
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

Like others said, enforement has got to be an enormous cost.
How many addicts can be treated for the cost of a single incarceration?
If one could buy cheap high grade heroine or cocaine at the local grocery store, I doubt we'd see scourges like Meth and 'krokadil.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »
Like others said, enforement has got to be an enormous cost.
How many addicts can be treated for the cost of a single incarceration?
If one could buy cheap high grade heroine or cocaine at the local grocery store, I doubt we'd see scourges like Meth and 'krokadil.'

Is Meth even all that bad?  All I know about it I learned from anti-drug PSAs.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »

and darwin would smile

oh and serious meth?  its that bad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I