Author Topic: Paying top-dollar to have a brand name on your stuff  (Read 3216 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Paying top-dollar to have a brand name on your stuff
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
Walls Blizzard Proof. Every bit as good as Carhart at 40% off.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got some Walls bibs a few years ago, but I switched to an inside job right after that. Nice to know I have them in the truck if I have a flat tire when it's ten below.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 11:19:29 PM »
we don't have Walls.

Just TSC and Southern States.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 11:34:40 PM »
we don't have Walls.

Just TSC and Southern States.

Walls is a brand of clothing, sold everywhere.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 11:36:37 PM »

apparently not sold much around here. at least not where I shop. *shrug*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 11:40:02 PM »

So you weren't talking about Wall Drugs?  Burma Shave? Ice Water?   :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »
I've been using Carhartts for decades, back to when I was dogmushing.  Their quality has really dropped off since they went from work wear to "mainstream".  My last work coat I switched to Duluth Trading.  Breathtakingly not cheap, but better and tougher then Carhartt's were at their best, and way better then they are now.

Since I know you do actual work with claws, mud, fluids and cold, you might want to look at them.

Carhartt  isn't what it used to be. I've only owned 2 Carhartt coats. The 1st one was a Made in USA model and lasted about 16 years before it wasn't pretty enough for casual "going to town" wear. Still wore it for 3 more years.  Replaced it this season. The Hencho en Mexico new coat isn't quite as good as the old one but it's still better than the next tier brands available locally.

I'd love to try Duluth Trading but for outerwear I want to try it on before I buy it.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 07:40:09 AM »
About the only name brand thing I'll pay top dollar for is a pre-2000 Smith & Wesson revolver.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »

http://www.walls.com/

Punch in your zipcode in the store finder.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »

I think I've seen Walls at K-Mart or Wal-Mart (or both, maybe), and at the farm stores. You may have passed by them, and just thought they were Carrharts.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:45:07 AM by fistful »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 09:38:19 AM »
I have a number of Carhart T-shirts.  They are comfortable and hang loose at the waist and cover a IWB holstered pistol well.  I have gotten used to having the shirt pocket also.  The Carhart jackets I have are good quality.  I will have to look for Diluth Trading stuff. 

I have a few Ralph Lauren shirts.  They are not cheap, but they typically look good and are good quality and will last longer than a lot of cheaper shirts.  I am picky about designs though.  If it is just the logo on the pocket, I can live with that.  The Hilfiger stuff I have tried has been good, but the stores usually had lots of gaudy logos and designs I didn't like. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 07:57:44 PM »
Confession: didn't read all the posts! But, often, that crap can make you a target. Why rob the chick in the Wranglers (other than they fit real nice), rather than the bitty in the Hilfigers and LV?

(How the heck do you spell check on here????)

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »
I think I'm going to start wearing my underwear on the outside of my pants, to show off the Jockey name.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 09:16:04 PM »
Confession: didn't read all the posts! But, often, that crap can make you a target. Why rob the chick in the Wranglers (other than they fit real nice), rather than the bitty in the Hilfigers and LV?

Stay safe.
Bob
Okay, only time I wear the nice shirts is when I am heading somewhere everyone has that stuff.  I wear Wranglers and Carhart shirts most of the time.  Well, I should say cargo shorts since summer lasts 9 months down here. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »

Stay safe.
Bob

Use Firefox.  =)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »
I don't pay for a name, I pay for quality.  Some makers put out a better product.  IfI find it is noticibly better quality, I may be willing to pay more.  Clothing, well that's a mixed bag for me.  I wear a lot of dress clothing (occupational hazard), but I've found that I can go to Kohls and buy good quality button down shirts, ties, and dockers for less than most places.  Casual clothes...Kohls, too.  And Target, I like the C9 workout gear.  Only clothes I spend real money on are suits and shoes (dress shoes, running shoes, and boots).  Other things I'll pay for brand/quality...knives, sunglasses, some grocery items...  May need to look into the Wall clothing,  I need some camping stuff.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »
I don't pay for a name, I pay for quality.  Some makers put out a better product.  IfI find it is noticibly better quality, I may be willing to pay more.  Clothing, well that's a mixed bag for me.  I wear a lot of dress clothing (occupational hazard), but I've found that I can go to Kohls and buy good quality button down shirts, ties, and dockers for less than most places.  Casual clothes...Kohls, too.  And Target, I like the C9 workout gear.  Only clothes I spend real money on are suits and shoes (dress shoes, running shoes, and boots).  Other things I'll pay for brand/quality...knives, sunglasses, some grocery items...  May need to look into the Wall clothing,  I need some camping stuff.

Yeah, clothes I don't much care about brand name, but at the grocery store I am usually pretty much all about brand. Especially when it comes to cleaning supplies and paper towels. I have yet to come across a bargain brand dish soap that even comes close to Dawn.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »
there are two kinds of folks that buy/use/display top tier designer clothes and accessories.  Those that want to impress folks with their ability to buy such stuff, and the really wealthy, that don't care what you think.  Some folks can easily drop $5K on a Judith Leiber purse,  $1500 for a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes, or $20K for an Ermenegilda Zegna suit.  To them, it feels like  less out of their pocket than you going over to Target, and dropping $30 bucks on a pair of marked down Dockers.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 08:07:20 AM »

I need to find a good hi-viz jacket for this winter. The ones they issued us are absolute *expletive deleted*it at about the level of a windbreaker- they have a very thin crappy ass liner and they are good for those 50 deg days and that's about it.

Look around at a motorcycle shop.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »
Or check out a firefighters/police supply store.

Or go blaze orange and hit the hunting store.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »
Can't wear a regular jacket with a reflective vest over it?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:21 PM »
Can't wear a regular jacket with a reflective vest over it?

That's what I do now it's aggravating. Vest gets all twisted up when putting on/removing the jacket over the course of a day, hangs up on equipment when getting on/off, etc

Or go blaze orange and hit the hunting store.

I'm sticking with the yellow

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »