Author Topic: I really don't understand the French  (Read 3607 times)

nico

• friend
I really don't understand the French
« on: July 07, 2007, 02:53:27 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288275,00.html  bottom of the page

And intellectuals and media elites in France are ripping newly-elected president Nicolas Sarkozy for a practice they find unacceptable  jogging.

The Australian newspaper reports critics see Sarkozy's passion for running as un-French, right-wing and even a ploy to brainwash his citizens.

One celebrated philosopher begged Sarkozy to take up walking and abandon what he called his "undignified" pursuit.

A sports sociologist notes that French intellectuals have always held jogging in contempt and associated it with totalitarian regimes that emphasize physical fitness.

The editor of a sports magazine says  "Jogging is, of course, about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the right."

And a media critic claims Sarkozy uses what he calls "hypnotic" daily images of the president running as  "a major weapon of media manipulation."

rolleyes
(We need a "WTF" smiley)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: I really don't understand the French
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
INDIVIDUALISM
GOD NO

PERFORMANCE
GADS

MANIPULATION
SOCK LE BLOO

THE FRENCH
DIAF
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
And yet the French wonder why they've been Germany's bitch for the last 200 or so years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »
Well then, what sort of team do the French send to the Olympics?

Cheese-eating?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »
The 100 yard surrender

White flag waving

The hop, skip, and hands up

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 05:50:18 PM »
MANIPULATION
SOCK LE BLOO

Sock le what?   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 06:13:11 PM »
Do you understand American media elites or intellectuals?

Attributing thoughts and criticisms of these kinds to everyone of a country as a whole is just stupid.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
Well of course we all know that, but making fun of the French is an American pass-time and opportunities like this cannot be passed up.

Bloo!  The color bloo!
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
"Attributing thoughts and criticisms of these kinds to everyone of a country as a whole is just stupid."

Sacre bleu...

Ze zilly American doezen't understand ze sport de Bashing le Frog...  rolleyes

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 08:03:30 PM »
But I am le tired...
Well, zen, take a nap...ZEN FIRE ZE MISSELZ

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
"Attributing thoughts and criticisms of these kinds to everyone of a country as a whole is just stupid."

Sacre bleu...

I don't -- it seems pretty ridiculous to me.

The "white flag" jokes became rolleyes after the 500th time. Seriously, how unoriginal can you get?

Oh, wait... For sale, one French rifle. Never fired, dropped once.

Oh, man, that's clever. Surely no one has told that one before.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 01:46:57 AM »
Do you have any new French jokes?

We are always ready for new ways to ridicule the French.  Or Canadians.  Even Germans.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 04:02:20 AM »
Obviously it isn't all the French, someone elected him.

That article reads like something out of the Onion, I followed the link just to be sure. laugh

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 04:14:27 AM »
The 100 yard surrender

White flag waving

The hop, skip, and hands up

You forgot the 25 yard rifle toss, and the yellow-belly-roll-over-and-get-pumped-by-germans....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 04:25:16 AM »

Actually, I'd never heard that one before.  That's pretty funny.

White flag waving

Don't be silly.  If the athletes start waving white flags, what will their cheerleaders do?

More seriously, the article linked doesn't name any names or have any links to outside reports, but a quick google search yields:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/06/AR2007070602104.html?nav=hcmodule

...which has a bit more information.  I'll reproduce it here, for convenience.  (Not sure if putting in such a long article is a faux pas or not...)

The sight of the new French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, jogging -- often wearing his favorite NYPD T-shirt -- has fired up a tempest in a Reebok in France and Britain this summer. Sarkozy's running is an un-French, right-wing conspiracy, suggests Paris' left-wing newspaper Libération. In response, British commentators gleefully conclude: The French have lost their minds, again.

On the primary state television channel, France 2, Alain Finkielkraut, a leading French intellectual, recently demanded that Sarkozy give up his "undignified" exercise. Not only did he imply that exposing the boss's naked knees is something that never would have occurred in the time of Mitterrand, much less Louis XIV, Finkielkraut claimed strolling is the proper activity of the thinking person, from Socrates to the poet Arthur Rimbaud.

"Western civilization, in its best sense, was born with the promenade," said Finkielkraut. "Walking is a sensitive, spiritual act. Jogging is management of the body. The jogger says I am in control. It has nothing to do with meditation."

Sarkozy has fueled a French suspicion that running is for self-centered individualists like Americans, reports Charles Bremner, Paris correspondent for the Times of London.

"Patrick Mignon, a sports sociologist, noted that French intellectuals had always held sport in contempt, while totalitarian regimes cultivated physical fitness," Bremner writes.

"Jogging is of course about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the right," Odile Baudrier, editor of V02 magazine, a sports publication, told Libération.

The British press is having a wonderful time with all this.

"The Sarkozy jog, say his critics, is a sad imitation of the habits of American presidents, and a capitulation to 'le défi Américain' (a phrase that was the title of a book published here as 'The American Challenge') as bad as the influx of Hollywood movies," writes Boris Johnson, a British member of Parliament and confirmed jogger, in the Telegraph.

"I am not deterred . . . by the accusation that jogging is right-wing," he says. "Of course it is right-wing, in the sense that the facts of life are generally right-wing. The very act of forcing yourself to go for a run, every morning, is a highly conservative business. There is the mental effort needed to overcome your laziness.

"Charles de Gaulle . . . moved with the stately undulation of a giraffe, and never broke into so much as a trot."

Jogging is not a new affectation for Sarkozy. When he was finance minister, visiting Washington for meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, he found it congenial to jog around the Mall, a French Embassy spokeswoman says. Former French ambassador to the United States (and recently named an adviser to Sarkozy) Jean-David Levitte does not indulge, however. Levitte "has a lot of things to do. He is on the run intellectually," she says.

Meanwhile, the readers of British press Web sites are piling on. "No decent conservative would dream of jogging. It's a vulgar, untraditional form of self-advertisement that might frighten the horses. What's wrong with croquet?" posted Ian Morrison on the Telegraph Web site. "Had it been a spot of extracurricular horizontal jogging instead, je pense que ze political classe wouldn't have batted an eye," posted Nixon McVicar.

In the heyday of vaudeville, there was a routine that had one woman complaining about the food at a Catskills resort. "It's terrible," she says. "Yes," agrees her friend, "and the portions are so small."

Just so, not only is Sarkozy's running being criticized, so is his style.

Renaud Longuèvre, a noted coach, tells L'Equipe magazine that Sarkozy's arms hang down, he bends too far forward, his stride is bad and his feet strike the ground incorrectly, Bremner reports. The coach advised the president to get his feet checked, strengthen his abdominal and posterior muscles and to "check your diet because it seems you are carrying a slight excess in weight."

This whole fiasco is pretty funny to me.  He's getting attacks from both sides, just for a healthful hobby?

I like the guy that complains that jogging isn't meditative.  I agree.  I think Sarkozy should take up shooting  grin.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 05:24:43 AM »

Sacre bleu...

I don't -- it seems pretty ridiculous to me.

The "white flag" jokes became rolleyes after the 500th time. Seriously, how unoriginal can you get?

Oh, man, that's clever. Surely no one has told that one before.

Waah waah waah.

You sound like a... Frenchman.

There, that's new.  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 05:27:37 AM »
"If the athletes start waving white flags, what will their cheerleaders do?"

It's pretty hard to tell the athletes from the cheerleaders. They all have hairy armpits...

"I think Sarkozy should take up shooting."

Except that the puke is anti-gun.

Ultimately, why do we bash the French?

Because they make it so easy to bash them.

Strings

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 05:32:12 AM »
Well... we could always talk about their awesome military unit: the French Foreign Legion. Some kick-ass, dangerous men. And who isn't aloowed to join?

the French

They even make fun of themselves!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »
"Patrick Mignon, a sports sociologist, noted that French intellectuals had always held sport in contempt," Bremner writes.

Well, at least it explains their inability to win the Tour de France (unless they accuse the winner of doping, of course).
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 08:42:55 AM »
I'm still pretty partial to this one:

Q: Why did they plant trees along the Champs Elysees?

A: So the Germans could march in the shade.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
The French invite abuse. It would be impolite not to accept.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 12:38:13 PM »
"Going to war without the French is like going hunting without an accordion." -Attributed to Donald Rumsfeld.

They do invite this kind of thing.

In his memoirs, Wesley Clark writes about having to interface with his NATO superiors, including the French Minister of Defense.  In one meeting they had been having trouble with the Serbs and Clark had a plan of operation to deal with it.  When he had briefed the minister on the plan, the minister said:
"That sounds good in practice, but will it work in theory?"
He was serious.*

Why hate them?  Because they are double-dealing hypocrites with delusions of grandeur.  Chirac promised Bush he would not oppose sanctions against Iraq in the UN and then turned around and did exactly that.  France was complicit in the Oil for Food scandal.  They hate Americans and all things American, mainly because they didnt think of it first.
And yeah, see my sig line.

*(NB.  This did not prevent Clark, when he was running for President, to pledge that he would work closely with our NATO allies on Iraq, unlike the administration.)
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
Darn right jogging is right-wing, froggies.  So, when we invade and conquer your nation with say something that would really stomp the crap out of your nation, say the Whiting, Indiana Police Department, we will force you to jog and give up smoking and drinking.

Bwahahaha.  Soon all of Paris will be ours, on yoga mats and then jumping rope, bwahahaha.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
Soissons-sept, soissons-huit, vive le France, soissons-dix...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.